PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, Stupid, STOOPID

milkman
08-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I just purchased a LAM2 and have been trying to wring out a couple of rifles to see how they like BAC. It's been hot enough that I fire a string of 5 shots with one rifle and while it is cooling, I load and fire 5 rounds with the other. One is a 30-06 the other is 35 Whelen.

The 30-06 was having a bad problem with horizontal stringing. The barrel had contact through most of the tupperware stock, so I free floated it and loaded and fired 5 more rounds. The group was worse and about 7" lower than previous. I quit in disgust.

I went back this morning to try again and noticed the powder for the 35 Whelen on the bench and powder in the dish I use to trickle power from. When I started loading umteen years ago I made it a practice to only have one powder on the bench at a time, so what was that powder doing there. I compared the powder in the dish to the powder for the .35 and they were identical and completely different from the correct powder.

I loaded the correct powder and the group moved back to it's original position.

I'm lucky the powders were fairly close in burn rate and were loaded to low pressure and really lucky to have my fingers and eyes, after 64 years I have kinda gotten used to them. Forget about double checking ---TRIPLE CHECK everything.

Milkman

John Boy
08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Yep, with nitro based powders is an issue, isn't it. But with black powder, those issues don't happen. Though my loading rule is only one container in back of the press for each casting session. Glad to hear you had no body or metal destruction

swheeler
08-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Check and confirm everything. So does the 06 group better free floating now:) no harm done, THIS TIME.

felix
08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Stupid, Stupid, STOOPID = old whipper snapper, old fart, ancient fart. Nothing we can do about it. Life's progression. Just have one of your sons or wife do the critical stage, but only when they feel like it. ... felix

Yeah, JohnBoy's suggestion is a valid one, and perhaps mo'betta'! ... felix

milkman
08-24-2012, 12:11 PM
swheeler - Yeah, at least the group is round now. Maybe some more work will get the group size down some.
Right now I have some major mechanic work to get done. Got to put a rear end in a Lazy-Boy recliner.
milkman

milkman
08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Felix

Life defiantly does progress, doesn't it. Only thing working better now is my forgetter.

felix
08-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Got to put a rear end in a Lazy-Boy recliner. ... Milkman

Gotta' 'member thataone. ... felix

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-24-2012, 06:14 PM
What is the gear ratio of the rear end your installing in the Lazy-boy??

CDOC

milkman
08-24-2012, 07:26 PM
It actually has a pretty wide spread - defiantly not high speed.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Personally, I much prefer the close ratio rear ends!

Maybe you could get a new gear cluster.

CDOC

milkman
08-24-2012, 08:17 PM
CDOC
There is so much wear in the old shafts and bearings, tubes and pump, I don't think they could take the strain of a new assembly

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
08-24-2012, 08:47 PM
WEll, why didn't ya just say so? I happen to know :shock: that feeling! :bigsmyl2::kidding:

CDOC