PDA

View Full Version : Redneck bore sighting?

Duffer
08-24-2012, 07:55 AM
I rigged up a used scope on my Bighorn for load patterning. Being used I have no idea where this scope is currently set at.

Since it's a plunger gun can I pull everything out of the bore, bench it up secure, eyeball thru the bore to 50 yards (or less?) and tweak the scope to get me 'on the paper'?

and if so:

Lobbing 440 grains with 80 Pyro RS (to start), and wanting to eventually zero at 100yds, where should I sight the crosshairs at 50yds? A couple inches below where the bore sights?

Thanx in advance!

wgr
08-24-2012, 10:58 AM
hit about center at 2/3in high at fifty. should put it about 2/3in low at 100. good starting point

Omnivore
08-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Unless you have adjustable mounts, it doesn't matter where the scope is set, because you'll have to set it just so, to zero it on your rifle, regardless of where the current settings are. You don't care where it's been, 'cause it needs to be where it needs to be, regardless of where it's been.

This idea of wanting to start with a mechanically centered scope reticle only applies if you have adjustable mounts, or can alter the mounts, or custom install the mounts.

If you have adjustable mounts or can plan to customize the mounts, there are two methods of centering your reticle.
1) run each adjustment all the way to one extreme, them run it to the other extreme while counting the clicks. Now turn it back by half that number of clicks.

2) cut a V into two sheets of plywood or heavy cardboard, and firmly mount the two pieces, with the v cuts spaced so your scope tube can ride in them. Rotate the scope in the "V block" while looking through it. Adjust the W&E settings until the aiming point does not move as the scope rotates. Then it is perfectly centered.

As I say though, the only use for that perfectly centered reticle is to then customize your scope mounts so the rifle is zeroed, or nearly zeroed, while the reticle is perfectly centered (or to at least know how far off your mounts are).

newton
08-24-2012, 09:55 PM
I have "bore sighted" a ML and bolt rifles this way. It gets you on paper for sure. Then just work I after that. Good luck!

Hogdaddy
08-24-2012, 10:48 PM
I've done bolt guns like so, Pull bolt eye center of door knob at 25 yards. Hit papper every time at 100 yards ; )
H/D

nanuk
09-03-2012, 11:19 AM
I use a printer to make black on white dots in a few different sizes

then when I look at them through the bore, it is easy to center the black bull.

once I have it centered and the rifle weighted, I adjust the sights.

gets on paper pretty much eveyr time, and on occasion the load shoots to point of aim.

I don't have any guns I can't see through.