PDA

View Full Version : Un-Confuse me please--Shipping a long gun

Jim Flinchbaugh
08-23-2012, 08:12 PM
So I have 2 Handi rifles I'm thinking of selling.

I understand that I (no FFL) can ship to a FFL anywhere in the US using the USPS?
I read where I do not have to declare what is in the box at the PO, so where does the buyers FFL come into play? How/ when/ where does the transfer of ownership take effect & how do I know it got transferred away from me?

Never done this before, so I wanna do it right & I doubt anyone local is gonna wanna buy them

Blammer
08-23-2012, 08:18 PM
I would use UPS not USPS.

The buyer should have the FFL send you a copy that you include with the firearm being shipped. The shipping address is TO the FFL's address. (IE you have to ship the firearm to the FFL)

When the FFL receives it then he starts the paperwork for the person you sold it to.

frkelly74
08-23-2012, 09:09 PM
I on the other hand have always used the good old post office priority mail. I think it may be a bit more expensive than UPS ( I do not Know this for sure) but I can send out without driving 40 miles to the UPS hub in Grand Rapids. Either way it must go to a FFL dealer to be transferred to the new owner, unless it is a C&R eligible gun, Which Handi's are not. Get the insurance and the signature required options so you know who it was delivered to and that it was delivered .... or not so you can collect the insurance ...... Break down the handis to make a shorter box and double box with plenty of padding inside. A long box is easier to bend in the middle . It is generally legal to send out guns to dealers but not all dealers will accept shipments from a non dealer. They fear the competition I guess and screw ups do happen that they do not want to be part of. But your buyer should be able to find someone to work with in most instances. I am only relating my experience here not really trying to give advice. What calibers are your Handi's?

RU shooter
08-23-2012, 09:41 PM
I would use UPS not USPS.

The buyer should have the FFL send you a copy that you include with the firearm being shipped. The shipping address is TO the FFL's address. (IE you have to ship the firearm to the FFL)

When the FFL receives it then he starts the paperwork for the person you sold it to.
+1 Make sure you ship the rifle to the address on the FFL. Also make sure that the Buyers FFL will accept a firearm from a NON FFL (you) so do, some will not accept a firearm from a private party This is becoming more common even though its completely legal to accept from a private party. But its their call and nothing you can do about it if thats the way they want to do business.

I have used both UPS and USPS without issues from either ,Its just easier for me and alot less hassle to walk into the USPS office with the box and lay it on the counter, No need to say what it is or fill out any info on the little computer like at UPS. And the last few times its been cheaper at the PO with priority shipping even. And as someone else stated make the box as small as possible but well padded on the inside and tape it well on the outside.

Jim Flinchbaugh
08-24-2012, 12:26 AM
What calibers are your Handi's?

7mm-08 & 25-06
both less than 400 rounds through them

waksupi
08-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Jim, get a copy of the FFL license you are shipping to. Include a copy of it in the package. That way, you know it is going to a legitimate business, and it is extra identification if the package gets damaged or lost.
I ship 2-3 guns a month with USPS, with delivery confirmation. That way you can track it as it travels.

Put an ad in the Mountain Trader, and avoid the shipping all together!

ilcop22
08-24-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm an FFL and always use USPS for my shipping needs. UPS/FedEx is too expensive, and it takes 30-40 minutes to drive out to the nearest shipment center. Any private person can ship a long gun to a licensed dealer. I'd suggest bringing the USPS regulations with you, as not all postal workers know their own policy.

tomme boy
08-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Make sure to include a copy of your drivers licence also. He will need to know who the gun came from to log it into his book.

thehouseproduct
08-24-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm an FFL and always use USPS for my shipping needs. UPS/FedEx is too expensive, and it takes 30-40 minutes to drive out to the nearest shipment center. Any private person can ship a long gun to a licensed dealer. I'd suggest bringing the USPS regulations with you, as not all postal workers know their own policy.
Do you tell them you are shipping a gun?

shooterg
08-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Also include the name of the buyer ! My FFL guy receives many guns from individuals for others and it's nice to have a paper inside with the buyer's name and serial number of the firearm. Makes his day shorter.

waksupi
08-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Do not tell the PO if you are shipping a gun. It is none of their business. I was told by the BATF not to tell them.

Firebricker
08-25-2012, 06:12 PM
I took the easy way out last time I needed to ship a gun home and had a small gun shop ship to gun shop by my house. I also used one of the small shipping places in a strip mall once IIRC I just had to show them my driver licence. Only downfall is it would add to much to the cost. The gun shop charged me $50 which was more than fair since I just handed him the rifle,my licence and the phone number to the gun shop it was going to. FB

JIMinPHX
08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
A non-ffl can not walk into a post office with a gun, even if it is wrapped up to be shipped. That is the law.

Ship it via UPS or other "common carrier", not USPS.

waksupi
08-25-2012, 10:29 PM
A non-ffl can not walk into a post office with a gun, even if it is wrapped up to be shipped. That is the law.

Jim, I disagree with that. I went over it pretty closely with a guy in the Minneapolis office, and a compliance officer of the BATF. Consider, it is also legal for family members to mail long guns to each other or to yourself at another location, without an FFL. That one surprised the heck out of me, but it is in the book.
You can get a current copy of the regulations by making a request to the BATF, or ask a local FFL licensee for last years, they send them pretty regularly, and they actually don't change much from year to year.

Mooseman
08-25-2012, 11:54 PM

Sorry Jim...That is NOT true !!!
ANYONE who is legal to own or possess a gun can mail a Long Gun via USPS to an FFL, the Factory, or to themselves c/o someone else.
We mail guns back and forth from Alaska both interstate and intrastate.
I can sell a long gun to a resident of My State without going thru an FFL and mail it directly to the buyer too.

Rich

JIMinPHX
08-26-2012, 09:29 AM
If what I posted is not true, then things have changed. Back when I had an FFL, I went to a bunch of seminars that the BATF gave on firearm laws & they were very specific about that point. At that time, an FFL was the only person allowed to mail a firearm. In fact, at that time, an on-duty cop was even forbidden from entering the post office with his duty weapon. I was very surprised to hear that, which is why it stood out in my mind & stuck with me. If I have posted outdated info, then I apologize for the confusion that I have caused. If someone could post a link to something in writing, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

obssd1958
08-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Jim,

If you read VERY carefully through the page that this link takes you to (WHY can't they write this sh...tuff in plain English!?!?!? [smilie=b: ) You will have your answer:

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

To my understanding, the condensed version is -
You can use the USPS to ship a long gun as long as it's unloaded and you comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and 18 U.S.C. 921
Examples: I shipped a rifle to a gentleman in my own state, directly to his doorstep - adult signature required, no FFL required.
I shipped a shotgun to a gentleman in another state - it was only legal being sent directly to his FFL holder, who would then transfer it to him.

You can even mail handguns if it's going from FFL to FFL (and a specific list of other circumstances) after the proper paperwork is filed.
Example: I sold a pistol to a gentleman in another state - it would have been $80 to send it by UPS overnight (their requirement, not law), I had my FFL holder mail it via flat rate box to his FFL holder, to transfer to him. Cost $15 for postage, and $25 for my FFL holder = $40

Hope this helps!

Don

cajun shooter
08-27-2012, 08:49 AM
I took a package that was sealed to my local PO for mailing to another State. It contained a long barrel Sharps rifle. I advised the Postmaster of the contents and she told me that by POSTAL RULES, she had the right to inspect my firearm before it was sealed in the package. The reason being was to make sure the firearm was not loaded nor was there any ammo in the same carton.
She then told me that being I was a 14 year customer at that PO, she would not require me to open my package for inspection but accept my word on the matter.
Be careful if using a new PO. Fairshake