PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Chris, and I have a problem.

mr_nice_guy228
08-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I like Boolits [smilie=l:
Hey, Name's Chris, and I'm up in Northwest Alabama, Marion county.
I could have sworn I already posted an introduction but I guess at the ripe age of 24, I'm already getting senile.

I'm into the simple things. 38/357's and 12 gauges.
Trying to get set up for easily casting. All I have done so far has been a chore over wood fires. Going to try and get myself a hotplate or a small Lee melter this weekend, It's about to cool off enough so I can get to casting.

Just got myself a new addition to the family, a new production Rossi 92 in 357, 1 in 30 twist. Need to figure out what it likes in the cast world, I ran some J-words through it to get it loosened up.
Getting everything ready for hog hunting, Doing my Hunters Education field day Saturday A.M. and then at the 1st of the month I will pick up my license and harass some nuisance hogs.
Thank's for accepting me into the family. What's everyone else into that isn't plainly obvious? [smilie=s:

Hamish
08-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Welcome sir! Enjoy.

Love Life
08-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Welcome!!

**oneshot**
08-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Welcome! Lots of info here for you to stay awake until the wee hours of the morning.

GRUMPA
08-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Yep lots to learn here is right, been here over a year and I'm still learning.

1Shirt
08-23-2012, 08:02 PM
You have the right attitude! Welcome!
1shirt!:coffeecom

kbstenberg
08-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Welcome to our little group. Remember that no question is a dumb one if the answer has you stumped. But most questions are answered in the stickies.
Hold on to your wallet tightly. Meany fun toys here.

Bob Krack
08-23-2012, 08:44 PM
HI Chris,

Things will get better.... This is the place to be.

There ain't no place like this anywhere near this place!

Hope you enjoy the learning ya get here.... or if ya don't learn, your'e just stubborn.

Welcome brother,

Bob

captain-03
08-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Welcome from your neighbor -- Mississippi!

runfiverun
08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
it likes 125 gr boolits.
welcome.

burntpowder
08-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi Chris. I don't post much here, lurk mostly but I gotta tell ya, this is the best Gun Forum on the net. Sounds like you might be a hog hunter? I've been wanting to get into hog hunting myself as we're beginning to have some hog huntin here in the state of Oregon. So, maybe you could teach us some about how your cast boolits smack them suckers down. Bet there's some other guys here that would like to know about that, too. We all teach each other gun things here so welcome Brother!

Lefty SRH
08-24-2012, 06:48 AM
Howdy neighbor!

MBTcustom
08-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Hey Chris, if you are into hunting hogs, I know how to cast round ball loads that will turn you shotgun into a short range rifle. Very effective at putting 3/4" holes in things faster than any other system devised by modern man.

You have obviously done some reading here, but in case you missed it, fit is king. Make sure any and every cast boolit is .001-.002 over the size of your groove diameter and you will be 99% of the way there. I wrote a sticky in the main castboolits forum regaurding casting for rifles and dumped everything I know (or think I know) into it.

I wrote it for a feller with your experience level (give or take a few hundred boolits) so you might get something out of it too:
Heres the link:http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=158805
Welcome to the forum, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

largom
08-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Welcome Chris and be sure to read the "sticky" sections.

Larry

Echo
08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Welcome, Mate. Bets forum on the web. And +1 for reading ALL stickies!

mr_nice_guy228
08-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Thank you for the many warm welcomes.
And I haven't got to make contact with a feral hog yet, but I will get some pictures of the progress as I go along. I should be doing some scouting next saturday, and hunting next sunday. I'll make sure my hunting days are well documented for sharing.
An older friend of mine, 88/89/90 I don't recall exactly, has been complaining about the hogs and coyotes bursting his watermelons, and causing general havoc in his garden, so he wants me to come kill them or otherwise pressure them into leaving his area. Planning on roasting a lot of pork, and canning what I don't roast. I'm going to get fat :shock:

Hey Chris, if you are into hunting hogs, I know how to cast round ball loads that will turn you shotgun into a short range rifle. Very effective at putting 3/4" holes in things faster than any other system devised by modern man.

Ah yes, That's the *only* slug I use. I've got a Lee .690 RB mold. I drop them off in a WAA12 wad and they fit perfectly and have reasonable accuracy to boot. I still need to get sights on my shotgun(s) for slightly longer shots. It's a thumper on the various appliances I have been target shooting. Complete penetration. :redneck:

44man
08-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Another welcome from me.
Darn, if you get your shotgun to shoot, I need help. I am a revolver man but the shotgun drives me nuts.

Firebricker
08-24-2012, 10:47 AM
For hogs 180gr bullet cast with Lyman #2 alloy using H110 or Alliant 2400 would be a good place to start. You might want to do a search on slugging the barrel to find the best size. It'll just take some experimenting to find what your rifle likes. Welcome FB

WILCO
08-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Welcome aboard!

dragonrider
08-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Welcome MNG228

Bob Krack
08-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Well, Chris,

Your original post mentioned "I have a problem".

Sounds to me that you do not really have a problem, just like most of us here - mostly wanna be friends and good neighbors.

Good luck,
Bob

smoked turkey
08-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Welcome! You are in for a nice ride here on this site. Set back with a good cup of coffee and read the stickys as has been said. If you are like most of us though you will learn more from your own mistakes than reading about the mistakes of others. Hope to see those pictures soon.

Rick N Bama
08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Howdy Chris, Roll Tide or War Eagle? Northern Cullman County here. When I get to go shooting it's normally at the Swan Creek Mgn Area in Limestone County.

Rick

Bullet Caster
08-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Welcome to Castboolits forum, MNG228, or better said, Chris. It's not too late to turn back now--oh well, I guess it's too late. Not only is casting, reloading and shooting a fun thing to do, but it will make shooting a lot more enjoyable with your own re-manufactured ammo and, I might add, makes shooting a little cheaper than factory ammo. Plus the fact that you've made your own boolits should add to the enjoyment factor.

I've only been around for a year, but have gained valuable knowledge about the shooting sports. When you start casting, you'll probably find that that is just as much fun as shooting. Be safe and carefull. The life you save might be your own. Lol. BC

Wayne Smith
08-27-2012, 07:37 AM
Welcome Chris. I've been here since '05, Shooters before that. Just think of us a bunch of guys talking around a huge campfire. 45Nut keeps it going and we all bring in some wood every once in a while.

mr_nice_guy228
08-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the welcomes.
And it's usually War Eagle, not that I don't like Bama, but I'm just an Auburn fan.
Truly I gave up on sports anyways except for the AL/AUB game, then it gets good.