PDA

View Full Version : Closed-cell foam for " Ctg. fillers"

hs45/70
05-15-2007, 12:42 AM
I first learned about Dacron and cotton being used as fillers in straightwall cases when I bought my first Lyman manual and my 45/70. That was 1978 and the Lyman reloading manual I bought to learn to reload this round indicated certain Powders/ loads were best served useing Dacron as a filler.
A friend who got me started suggested cotton instead and I used it for the next 25 years with cast boolits.

About 4 years ago while I was "mining" my new puter for reloading info. I came upon a site for Black Powder CAS shooting. A gent there was reloading 45 colt(IIRC)
for reduced loads useing black powder for his shoots. He was useing close- celled foam to take up the space between the powder and the boolits base for his reduced recoil loads.
Never having had much interest for this powder or sport I figured I could use his info for reduced loads with foam instead of cotton in the 45/70.

Located some cylindrical "caulk backer rod" which is used for around new bath tubs and windows, door frames at our Home depot. It is closed cell and no moisture enters it, and comes coiled like a garden hose.
It comes in 3/8 inch and 1/2 and 5/8 inch diameters and depending on the width either 20 feet or 25 feet long. As they didn't stock 1/2" I got some in 5/8 in.

After realizing I needed about 0.80 inch of foam between the 24 grains A2400 powder and the 500 gr boolit base I cut a few dozen lengths at 0.90 inch (useing one of those "one edge"only razor blades you can buy at Hardware/auto supply stores) for a bit of compression to keep the powder from possibly migrating .

To get this 5/8' s rod into the 45/70 case I put the small piece of rod on some soft wood lengthwise and cut a slice off one side and useing the trial and error method got it just a bit oversize and then pinching the end with thumb and finger slowly pushed and" twisted "it in and onto the powder with the last bit pushed in with a dowel.
Naturally it got faster and easier to cut..slice and get it into the flared case after the first dozen loads and then went off to the range to test them.

24.0 gr A2400, , the Lee 500 GC, teflon taped with cotton filler gets me 1280 fps on average from my 22 inch brl. Ruger #3 and will shoot 3 shots at 1.75 inch at 190 yds.
Useing the "foam" loads the 3 shots through the chrony avg. 1330 fps and the group shot at 100 yds was 1.0 inch. I fired a few more 3 shot groups at targets and got from 0.950 inch to 1.20 inch.
This proceedure was next tried with my 14.8 gr. load of Unique and Lee 500 gr and got the same 1.50 inch group at 100 yds but again velocities went from about 1060 fps avg. to 1090 avg.

Next came the .444 Marlin, and light loads with accuracy useing cotton filler remained accurate with foam filler and a bit of a gain in velocity was again noted.

The foam rod I use is 20 feet long.. costs about $4.75 and I get about 260 ish one -piece foam fillers per length of rod for this particular load. Each 0.90 inch piece weighs about 1 grain +/-.
I have found that the "exact" length was not critical so long as you got some compression on the foam... nor did it matter if the pieces were cut at a bit of an angle as long as you have the bit of compression between powder and boolit base.
I have not used this product in handguns as I don't use fillers for these small capacity cases.

Like anything else it gets easier and faster to assemble loads once you've done a few dozen. I have 2 main loads that I shoot in my 45/70 about 75 % of the time and I just cut up the foam fillers to the correct size/width in advance and store them in a container until needed.
Have fired about 700 of these foam loads and have not found any residue in the bore and like cotton, you will find most of it about 15 feet out in front of you in small chunks.

Will try to find the original site from 4 years ago as he had some pictures of his process that clarifys everything....

Has anyone else had success useing "any" types of foam for filler in straightwall cases ......

Jim
05-15-2007, 06:19 AM
Yeah, sh, a coupla years ago I messed around with using cylindrical shaped foam ear plugs as fillers. They worked, but I wasn't too keen on burning rubber in my gun barrel, so I quit with it.

arkypete
05-15-2007, 08:27 AM
I use 1.5 inch square pieces of Kleenex to hold the powder in place. I like the idea that the paper burns up in the barrel. I use a very smooth pieces of rod to push the paper down into place. Not unlike a muzzle loader tamping a load down.
Jim

Bullshop
05-15-2007, 10:25 AM
For the last 15 years or so if a filler is needed I have used nothing but packing popcorn. Started using it when Winchester quit making super grex.
It does not burn in the barrel but is blown out as dust.
Over the years I have mentioned it here but guess no one has tried it. Most think I am just goofy and they could be right.
The trick with any filler is to fill, that is to leave no space unfilled. Anyone tamping the filler down into a wad and leaving space between wad/filler and boolit base will eventualy have a problem.
I like the PP for the same reason I liked Grex its about weightless.
As I see it (one mans view) it works as a shot shell wad. If you section a shot shell you see a space between the shot and powder filled by a compressable wad. The PP acts the same way. If a compressable wad would cause a ringed chamber then every shotgun would have one. One thing you will never see in a shot shell is a card wad with a space between wad and shot. If card or fiber wads are used as in old ammo there is always enough used to fill the space. Blast away!
BIC/BS

1Shirt
05-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Bullshop, Might sound a bit dumb on my part, but do you grind the PP or break it apart with your fingers or bottom line what is your process?
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Bullshop
05-16-2007, 12:33 AM
1Shirt
Nuthin fancy atol just break off a piece a bit larger than the hole I want to fill.
I like to use the pieces that are wide S shaped. I use it for bottle neck as well as straight wall cases too. A piece that will fill say half a 30/06 volume can be slightly compressed by rolling between fingers and pushed in with a twisting motion. Once its pushed in it will swell back out and fill the space.
I have been doing it so long I dont realy think about the how when I do it. Its kinda like eating popcorn and watchin a movie. Just mess with it for a bit and you will work out your own detailes.
BIC/BS

1Shirt
05-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Bullshop, Will have to give it a try. Am not far away from ordering more bullplate! Good stuff and has really helped my casting process and weight consistancy.
1Shirt!:coffee:

hs45/70
05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
I located the original CASS site I was mentioning that got me started useing closed-cell foam for a filler.....

www.curtrich.com/bpsubsdummies.html

It's on page two of his 3 page BP site.

While looking for this site did a google search of "reloading with foam Fillers"...the first on the list took me to a U.S " Patent "site. ....."US Patent # 5770815:

Quote: "Ammunition with reduced propellant charge"

"An ammunition cartridge haveing a reduced propellant charge and an initial reduced cartridge volume is provided. The cartridge volume is reduced by partially filling the cartridge with a foam filler useing a male mold form. The male mold form is sized to provide the desired propellant volume and tapered to maintain the desired cartridge pressure during the propellant burn.
Alternately, the foam filler may be formed externally and inserted in the cartridge case. End Quote..

It would appear that someone thought enough of the Foam filler method enough to patent the proceedure.....

Max...

Idaho Sharpshooter
05-18-2007, 12:32 AM
about 16 years ago I convinced Dean Miller to cut 1/4" off of his 32 Miller cartridge for Schuetzen shooting, and the 32 Miller Short was born. One of the keys to it's total dominance in Schuetzen was the use of a crinkle foam wad against the powder to hold it in place.

Rich
DRSS

hs45/70
05-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Last week I had occassion to visit an auto upholstry shop nearby...while talking to an employee about convertable tops I noticed they had huge rolls of foam in their materials rack for carseat upholstry purposes.
It was closed-cell foam and the roll was 3/8ths inch thick and 5 feet in width and sold for $11.00 per linial foot so I bought a 1 X5 ft piece.

Not haveing a punch of the appropriate size to try and see if that would cookie-cut the foam to fit my 45/70 cases, I cut off the neck of a .338 case and chucked it into my 1/2 inch drill and useing a "stone" got the case neck champhered and sharp.
Stapled a cut off 1 ft by 1 ft piece to a cardboard backer and cookie-cut enough to almost fill a large plastic jar. It doesn't take very much time to pre- cut hundreds of these for future use

No doubt a drill press would work better but I thought it would be easier to "pick"out the 5-6 wads in the case in the hand held drill with out removeing the case from the chuck each time. When the case was full you could still 95 % cut out the foam and pop them out by hand later if you'd just touched up the case edges with the stone.

Depending on the the length you require as filler you can use as many of these 3/8's by about .462 inch " cookies" to take up the space to give you the amount of compression you want between powder and boolit base in any straight wall case.

.......just another option in the event this foam is easier to locate than the "caulk backer rod" and you want to try it.

Jon K
05-28-2007, 01:29 PM
I have never tried the foam, I have tried others, and I prefer Corn Starch Packing peanuts. Just cut with a razor for length, roll between your fingers to desired diameter and stuff it in the case. It blows apart when shot, and is not left in the case as dacron will oten do. The corn starch is also environment friendly, and will disolve when wet.
Just my $.02 on this,

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon
:castmine: