PDA

View Full Version : lee 429-200-RF vs TL430-240-swc

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I have birthday pricing at midway and i am trying to decide between the 2

i really like the RF design but would prefer it a little heavier at 240-250gr

but 200 would save lead

the tumble lube SWC would get me the weight , and i have heard good things about it

these will be shot from a new model super blackhawk with 7 1/2 inch barrel and the largest thing that is ever likely to get shot with one is a white tale deer and that is probably not going to happen very often

please help me with the pros and cons of these 2 molds

i definitely want the 6 cavity mold that i know

Wally
08-23-2012, 02:08 PM
I have birthday pricing at midway and i am trying to decide between the 2

i really like the RF design but would prefer it a little heavier at 240-250gr

but 200 would save lead

the tumble lube SWC would get me the weight , and i have heard good things about it

these will be shot from a new model super blackhawk with 7 1/2 inch barrel and the largest thing that is ever likely to get shot with one is a white tale deer and that is probably not going to happen very often

i definitely want the 6 cavity mold that i know

I shoot in Central WI--(Near Hancock) and have the same pistol and have used both bullets. For deer hunting you are better off with the heavier . If you shoot a lot the 200 RF is preferable, to save lead. I bought a Lee 214 SWC last year and IMHO it is a good compromise as is the Lyman 429215.

Shuz
08-23-2012, 08:21 PM
The Lee 44-200RNFP is a very good boolit for both revolvers and lever action .44's. Cast from ww's +1% tin, mine weigh 211-212 g.
I don't care for the tumble lube designs and steer clear of them. Others like them. To each his own.
Lee at one time made a 44-225RNFP in 6 cavity as a custom mould. I have one, and got it from a member of this board. That's the mould I use in my lever .44's. Perhaps you could locate one if you are looking for something heavier than a nominal 200 grainer but don't want a 250.

Ole
08-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I cast a lot of those 200 RF's for all my .44's. They all like them, especially the 1894 Marlin.

I load them to around 800fps in the special and around 1000fps in the magnums for a GP plinking load.

I don't have any experience with the other mold you listed.

I wouldn't recommend using the RF bullet as a hunting bullet.

41mag
08-24-2012, 07:22 AM
I have a couple of the TL designed molds but not in either of those weights. I picked up the Ranch Dog 41 and 44 molds for a heavy weight, and they both shoot very well from my Redhawks, however they are both GC models.

As for the RF design, I can say that in the 452 300gr RF, running between 1350 and 1550fps from my 454, I would be hard pressed to find something that hits as hard as it does. I would imagine the 240gr version would be very similar from your BH at somewhere between 1150 and 1350, depending on what your alloy will allow.

I have not really found the TL designs to be any less accurate in any of my handguns to be honest. I shoot the 215gr 41, and 230gr 45, and the 158r in 38/.357. All of those were poured up with straight WW alloy and then simply lubed and loaded. I did not find any need to size them as they were great right out of the mold. The few that I DID run through the sizer were hardly touched. I'm using the 45/45/10 Recluse lube which can be found in the lube section under a sticky. I use it for everything, and have not had any issues even with the 454.

Hope this helps.

Wally
08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
I have a couple of the TL designed molds but not in either of those weights. I picked up the Ranch Dog 41 and 44 molds for a heavy weight, and they both shoot very well from my Redhawks, however they are both GC models.

As for the RF design, I can say that in the 452 300gr RF, running between 1350 and 1550fps from my 454, I would be hard pressed to find something that hits as hard as it does. I would imagine the 240gr version would be very similar from your BH at somewhere between 1150 and 1350, depending on what your alloy will allow.

I have not really found the TL designs to be any less accurate in any of my handguns to be honest. I shoot the 215gr 41, and 230gr 45, and the 158r in 38/.357. All of those were poured up with straight WW alloy and then simply lubed and loaded. I did not find any need to size them as they were great right out of the mold. The few that I DID run through the sizer were hardly touched. I'm using the 45/45/10 Recluse lube which can be found in the lube section under a sticky. I use it for everything, and have not had any issues even with the 454.

Hope this helps.

Have you tried the Lee 210 SWC-TL .41 Cal mold..I was wondering what you thought of it?

41mag
08-24-2012, 05:28 PM
That's the one I have, only it throws between 215 and 220 depending on the alloy. I have poured mostly WW and they hit just about 216 so I just call it 215 as thats close enough for me. I guess I have done so, so many times over the past year or so it just sticks in my head.

Yes I like it alright. I managed to pick up a 6 cavity new several years ago. In fact it was my first ever mold. I just never got around to using it until early last year. Since then it has poured out several hundred very nice boolits and they all shoot well from my Redhawk. I ran a few through my .411 sizer but it only shined them up so I don't even bother anymore.

I used some Unique and some 2400 and both shot very well grouping well under 2" at 25yds from a rest. I lube them with the same 45/45/10 as everything else and go for it. The nice thing about them is that I only have to lube once since I don't size them. Everything else gets one coat then sized than another coat.

I haven't been able to get any into a hog just yet, but I am hopeful that this fall I will get to try out several.

I should also tell you that if you have the funding available to pick up one or two of the MP molds in your favorite caliber listed here,
http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=160053

Open the link then click on the pdf list. You can then click on the mold on the left side and it will link you to the Group Buy Page where there is usually a picture of the boolit or drawing of it. Check with MiHec and see if he has which ever one(s) in stock and he will send you a Paypal invoice for it. They usually arrive within 3-5 weeks, and they will be one of the best molds you will ever spend money on. The nice thing about them is that you can pour solids, or usually three different HPs from the same mold. The pins allow you to change to what you want to shoot or pour up.

I have been using the 41 HG 258, (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1225956&postcount=1) in both the solid and HP form as of late, and they are VERY accurate. Here is one group at 50yds and while it doesn't look that good, you have to realize I had to hold over to the right in order to try and catch one of them.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/41nag/Shooting/Cast%20Boolit%20Loading%20and%20Shooting/28954f8a9aa26837b.jpg
If you note the staple over the holes, and then realize that 4 shots went right there it isn't bad, even more so the other two would have gone in there too had I not held over.

fecmech
08-24-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm curious as to why not. That bullet looks very similar to the old Lyman 42798 that was a 205 RF for the 44-40 which has put down a couple deer in it's day.

azrednek
08-24-2012, 11:31 PM

I think the question could be best answered based upon what you will be using it for. I like the lead saving lighter castings for punching holes in paper or tin can hunting. The heavier boolit would be my choice for serious hunting or self-defense. Best bet, get them both!!. Chances are good you will eventually get both anyway.

azrednek
08-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Have you tried the Lee 210 SWC-TL .41 Cal mold..I was wondering what you thought of it?

I had it several years ago. I never hopped it up but was satisfied with its shot to shot accuracy with mild to medium loads. Been way to many years to remember the load but I'm pretty sure my best results were with HERCO or possibly Unique. I shot them unsized and tumble lubed in a S&W Model 57 with 8 3/8 barrel.

paul edward
08-29-2012, 12:34 AM
The Lee 240 SWC gas check boolit would be more appropriate for hunting.
Their 200 Gr RF will use less lead and is easier to produce.
The 214 SWC plain base has the same shape nose as the 240 GC which is good if you use a Lyman sizer/lubricator. I have that mold and use that boolit in several different .44 loads.

Suggest you get the 6 cavity 200 for practice loads and a 2 cavity 240 GC for hunting.

Life is short. Be good to yourself.

evan price
08-29-2012, 05:01 AM
I have the TL-429-240-SWC and load it for my Super Redhawk target loads. I run a cowboy load arond 1000 fps max with it and it shoots very nicely, accurate, no leading with 12 bhn boolits. I roll crimp in the last loob groove.

bobthenailer
08-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Although i have 4, 44 mag moulds from 200 to 265 gr and at one time had a 300 gr , I use the Saeco #420 - 200gr tc bullet for 95% of my shooting for loads from 800 to 1,200 fps from all of my guns with excellent accuracy .
I also thought about saving 40+ grs per bullet, and it seemed logical to me to conserve lead for target or plinking loads, thats why i bought it in a 8 cavity !

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I ordered the TL430-240-swc it should be here in the next hour the UPS tracking had it out for delivery today

maybe i can do some holiday casting Monday

jlaudio29
08-30-2012, 09:31 PM
what is birthday pricing?

Bob Krack
08-30-2012, 11:28 PM

How come, Ole?

Edit: I personally would prefer the 240 just for it's mass and kinda think 30/lb vs 35/lb would not be an issue for me.
Even better in my mind, would be a 240/250/275 (or more) RF boolit.

Bob

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-03-2012, 12:31 PM
what is birthday pricing?

when you have an account with midway about 3 weeks before your birthday they they send you an email you click on the link and it makes your account show special birthday pricing on items it took the mold down to 34 dollars from 39 in my case it covered shipping

it only lasts thru the day of your birthday

I am happy to take any deals they are willing to offer