PDA

View Full Version : Finally brought her home

Hubertus
08-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Just this week I came home from another work trip to the U.S.
You probably know what happened last time…
Had to drive down to Friendship and meet with DIRT_Farmer, shoot some Skeet and Quailwalk, Woodswalk and had a wonderful time.
But, you know I kinda got myself into a little trouble by buying a Smoothbore form Tip Curtis – dunno how this happened, musta been all the blackpowder smoke that tricked me into doing that …[smilie=l:.
It was nice to be able to shoot it in Friendship but how can you bring this thing home. DF kindly volunteered to ship it, first TC had to change out the liner and prep it. Well suddenly another trip came up to Atlanta. It’s only a 5 hour drive up to Tennessee – so I picked her up myself, found a nice fishing rod case that matches the length and Bingo!

On top of that I got invited by a traditional muzzle loading forum member to come over try one of his smooth bores on squirrels. That worked out, too. We had a nice afternoon and I went home having made a new friend and with a brace of squirrels for dinner – yum, gotta do this again.

Now she sits beside my desk and is waiting to get a new liner installed and to be proofed. I can’t wait to take her out for deer.

Hubertus

Southern Son
08-23-2012, 01:02 PM
:bigsmyl2:PHOTOS!!!!! there must photos, or some may think that you are making it up!

RhodeHunter
08-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Anybody, what is a "liner?"

Omnivore
08-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Bore liner?

swamp
08-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Flash hole liner?

DIRT Farmer
08-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Michal glad to hear you and the "lady" made it back. (touch hole liner for inquiring minds) Have you got it set up for the proof house yet, although I think you have already took care of that on this side of the pond.

How expensive was the neckless or are you banned to the office?

Hubertus
08-24-2012, 03:50 AM
Yeah, photos I know - shoulda seen that coming.. :smile:

Still have to set it up for the proof house though, I am waiting for some 5/16-24 set screws to come in. You have no idea how difficult those are to come by here - if I just had went into a hardware store while in the U.S. That would have been a no-brainer - but hey who likes to do things the simple way.

[smilie=l:Fortunately I am not banned to the office ...
Not really a neckless - but getting things done in the office (clean up and new shelves) plus the dining area - new cabinet, in addition letting the missus pick the new family car - I know I know but you got to make compromises.
Fun aside, she was a good sport about it - but I won't do something like that in the next couple of years, believe me.

Alan, looks like you found a good name for her: THE LADY - i like it!

Now photos....

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Smoothie/P1190272.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Smoothie/IMG00725-20120824-0821.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Smoothie/IMG00730-20120824-0822.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Smoothie/IMG00735-20120824-0824.jpg
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz157/Hubertus_album/Smoothie/IMG00733-20120824-0823.jpg

JeffinNZ
08-24-2012, 04:56 AM
How is Tip doing? I met him in 2005 when my friend Keith took me to Tip's store. I had the most wonderful time and he and his late wife were gracious hosts.

Hubertus
08-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Jeff,

his wife passed away a couple of years ago - he told me that the building keeps him going. He's building every single day or going to the meetings.

It was a wonderful time he showed me around his shop gave me tips and tricks and we talked for more than 3 hours. We would have went on but I had to get back for work.

Hubertus

Boz330
08-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Back in the 70s I really wanted an O/U shotgun. It cost me a microwave oven, which were very expensive back then because they were new on the market. In fact I think it was slightly more than the shotgun. I'd only been married a couple years then. In a year and a couple months it will be 40 years.
The only 2 words you need to know for a happy marriage are "yes dear".

Bob

tacklebury
08-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Beautiful firearm. ;)

DIRT Farmer
08-24-2012, 10:53 PM
To add my story I bought a "nice" shotgun modern in a 3 barrel set. Most expensive gun I have ever bought. I carried the case in the house, saw the fire start, opened the case to show her the gun and looked into the full blaze. I pointed to the small gift wraped box in the gun case and said the small box is yours. It pays to know her ring size.

Michial the way the gun handled, I think you can dance with that lady.

Tip is quite a gentleman, I have spent hours talking with him at Friendship.

Southern Son
08-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Hubertus, that rilfe is stunning, no matter the marital cost, it was worth it!

Hubertus
08-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Yes, definitely it was worth it - the marital cost wasn't so bad after all.

And the YES DEAR rule is one that everybody learns sooner or later :kidding:
Now I'll have to get everything settled to take the lady hunting.

Hubertus

Southern Son
08-27-2012, 06:26 AM
You have to be carefull with that "Yes Dear". Don't be doing it while you are on auto pilot watching the football or something. If SWMBO asks you a series of questions while you are watching TV and you sit there saying "yes Dear......yes Dear.......yes Dear", you may discover that one of those questions was "Does my bum look big in this?"

Hubertus
09-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Yup - right!
Thanks for the warning - actually how do you know :mrgreen: ???

Hubertus