PDA

View Full Version : smelting questions

chevyiron420
05-14-2007, 07:11 PM
hey folk's, im getting ready to do some smelting. i havent done any in years and have a few questions. what easily obtainable cheep stuff can i flux with? im neerly out of flux. did i hear candles??
i want to leave my metal just plain ww's and if i want to add tin, do it in the pot when casting. do i have to flux again if i use plain ww's? how about if i add tin?
i have about 300 lbs. to do and want to get started tomorrow if the dad gum smoke from the fires isnt to thick. for the last three days it looks like a light to medium fogg all day from it.--phil:castmine:

imashooter2
05-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Paraffin wax (candle stubs) will do just fine as flux. You will have no problem smelting just the WW into ingots and also no problem adding just clean WW ingots to your casting pot or WW + tin. Flux your casting pot whenever the dross reaches unacceptable levels (different levels are acceptable for dipper vs. bottom pour casters).

kywoodwrkr
05-14-2007, 08:34 PM
cat litter-new not used!
sawdust
DaveP kywoodwrkr

lurch
05-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Just about anything with carbon in it - being in GA, maybe some pine needles?...we sure have enough of those in NC though I've not personally used them. Used motor oil works too but it sure does stink (not that dirty WW don't...).

wiljen
05-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Dexron ATF and a little corn cob media works too

Hunter
05-14-2007, 09:19 PM
I use wax seals for setting toilets. They are cheap and work well.

madcaster
05-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Just make sure that you do these outside so you don't stink up the shop nor burn it down!

dragonrider
05-15-2007, 06:46 PM
All I use is sawdust. Put in enough to cover the top, mix it up. It's going to smoke so light it up and let it burn down to carbon, add more until you get a layer of carbon that completely covers the lead.

Wayne Smith
05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Pine needles have a fair amount of water in them. They pop and fizz nicely. Never enough for the tinsel fairy, but enough to think of her.

So do wasps and other sundry large flying bugs.

Freightman
05-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Just put the tobacco (chewing)in the pot insteed of throwing it out.