PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Caprice Engine Bay Photos

chickenstripe
08-22-2012, 08:12 AM
I have taken on the project of rebuilding, reinstalling, and making road worthy a 1967 Chevy Caprice.

The problem is, the car was a basket case when I came on to the project. The engine bay had been disassembled 4-5 years ago in preperation to remove the engine for rebuild. The individual that removed the components is no longer in the picture.

I have the engine and tranny rebuilt and bolted into the mounts, but I do not know how the bolt on components, and their associated brackets, are to be installed (AC, alternator, power steering pump, kick-down brackets, vacuum routing, etc.)

Does anyone have any pictures, or could they take some pictures of their 1967caprice engine bay??? This car has a 327, 2sp powerglide, AC, and "speed control".

I've found some of the top of the engine, but the mounting points for the bolt on components, below the intake manifold are not shown.

Any help, or guidance would be appreciated.

Jim Flinchbaugh
08-22-2012, 11:28 AM
In those years there could be 2 different bracket set ups for Alt, PS & AC.
if it has the short water pump the alternator bracket will be a low mount.
the later upper mount style is very popular, virtually them same as any chevy v8 car or truck through 1987. Take your digicam to the grocery store and start poppin hoods :D

missionary5155
08-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Greetings
Contactv your public library and ask if they have a Chiltons manual for your car. Our library here has most all cars, trucks 5 years and older. Has detailed pictures where and how all parts go.
Mike in ILL.

fryboy
08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
a body by fisher manual is best , sadly i dont have one , but they will have about every nut and bolt on the car , some years are reall close to crossovers and while perhaps not quite exact for a show quality detailing it would be close enough

44deerslayer
08-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Hey gm tech here for 25 years I restore old gm cars from 40s to 1990 if you need any parts or help will be glad to help I do it all motor rebuilds frame off restoration cars trucks boats

crabo
08-23-2012, 07:53 AM
You might google 67 caprice engine. Use the images tab. I found a few engine compartments pictures.

bobthenailer
08-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Im a retired GM tech, I istarted in Aug 1968 , i have alot of old Chevy & Cad service manuals in the attic , Ill look them up & get back with you! Also there are probley reproduction manuals avalible from various companys who specialize in restoration parts. I know for sure they have them for 69 Camaro.

Bob

runfiverun
08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
the impala should be the same.
i just sold our 67 impala a year back or i'd get you pic's.
it had a/c but i can't remember if it was on pass or drivers side now...

chickenstripe
08-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Found a few pics online. We're going to be giving it a go tomorow morning...

Thanks for all of the replies.

Bobthenailer,
If we get into too much trouble I may take you up on your offer.....

Wish me luck.

Reg
08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Get on my case. I have two large boxs of original GM manuals from about then. Might be a Caprice in the pile. Stored up at airport so have to remember to go up and dig through the boxs.
Also , would anything besides a Caprice be close enough ?

chickenstripe
08-31-2012, 03:58 PM
I took the entire day, but this is what the front of the engine should look like.....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_4561504116cf5c7d9.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6511)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_45615041175b41981.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6512)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_45615041176c53ddb.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6513)

ErikO
08-31-2012, 04:49 PM
Please post links to audio of that once you get it running. Before the pipes go on if possible. :D

chickenstripe
09-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately the exhaust is already connected, and the exhaust is a stockconfiguration with a cross pipe, and one 2" outlet......

I did make the comment, this will be the first V-8 that I can recall, that there is more exhaust connected than just a manifold or headers......:sad:

lathesmith
09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
When I was a (somewhat) younger man, I spent many a grease-filled evening underneath and in the engine compartment of, a '68 Impala, and later a '69. Enjoy your old project, there's nothing like the sound of a good ol' V8 purring!

lathesmith

chickenstripe
09-02-2012, 09:34 PM
lathesmith

I agree with you 100%..... the only thing better, would be if it were a big block!

lathesmith
09-04-2012, 11:40 AM
the only thing better, would be if it were a big block!

Interesting that you should say that, my wife once had a '69 Impala with a 427/400 Turbo tranny combination. It was one smooth-running rat, and ran great even with the ol' quadrajet(flop) carb. IIRC, I think we paid around $500 for that car around 1982 or so. I was doing a little research online here a while back, and discovered, much to my chagrin, that there is a very high likelyhood that that old car was a very rare and highly collectible SS model! Of all the old cars I have owned, THAT's the one we should have kept, I guess. But geez, when you are a kid in college, gas is $$$$ and you own a car that gets 10 mpg on a good day, it's kinda tough to hang on to.
BTW, I notice your engine there has the breather pipe on the front, you will want to be sure and match this with the right valve cover setup so that your crankcase is ventilated properly and doesn't blow oil (and maybe some seals) out. I'm sure you are probably aware of this, but I just thought I would mention it as it is easy to overlook.
Anyway, that looks like a great old project you have going there, thanks for posting, it's brought back some fine memories here.

lathesmith

chickenstripe
10-19-2012, 08:58 AM
We finally got the old girl on the road, and took her for her maiden voyage yesterday afternoon.

ErikO
10-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Land yacht ahoy! :D

FISH4BUGS
10-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Great Old Car!
However, as someone said earlier about the sweetest sounding engine? Now really the best one is a small block Chevy with solid lifters and a good cam. That rough idle is music to my ears.
A good friend build a 57 Chevy 4 door sedan and had a bored 283 (probably around 302 or so), solid lifters, 12:1 pistons, Racer Brown roller cam, blueprinted and balanced, 4 barrel QuadraJet, headers, 4 speed, 4:56 rear, and shifted it at 8500 rpm.
Came off the line at 7,000 and WOW did that car jump!
Many a trip to the drags with it. Ran J Stock (cheated in the classification but everyone else did too).