PDA

View Full Version : alloy?

GP100man
05-14-2007, 01:08 PM
ive recieved a quanity of battery cable ends.
some are soft ,some are harder ,i think the harder ones could go in the ww melt &the softer goes to the pure lead melt,
what say ye !! am i thinking correctly????

GP100man

:castmine:

Whitespider
05-14-2007, 10:08 PM
GP,
I don’t have an answer for ya’, and I don’t want to hijack your thread. But I’d like to know the composition of battery cable ends also. I could have a bunch of them, if I want them. Does anyone know?

Jim
05-15-2007, 06:22 AM
I would venture that someone on this board has a bullet hardness tester. If you can find somebody to do it for you, Cast a few boolits from your cable ends and mail them to the volunteer for testing. That would be my approach.

Bass Ackward
05-15-2007, 08:08 AM
ive recieved a quanity of battery cable ends.
some are soft ,some are harder ,i think the harder ones could go in the ww melt &the softer goes to the pure lead melt,
what say ye !! am i thinking correctly????

GP100man

:castmine:

Gp,

Depends. How important is the .... "pure" lead staying "pure" to what you want to do with it? If pure is important to ya, then don't risk it. Some guys are fanatical about .... "pure" lead because it is hard to obtain.

GP100man
05-15-2007, 12:25 PM
BA
i have about 100# pure ,in case i decide to BP again ,it was tape on weight only& fingernailed each peice,but never got the blue or purple colors though ,i suspect a low % of tin .
White spider
welcome to the forum!!!
im going to melt the soft seperate from the harder ones & see how they cast ,maybe ill have that done by the time my hardness tester from lee gets here!!

GP100man

WHITETAIL
05-16-2007, 08:34 PM
GP, If you want too. You can mail me a few samples and I will check them and post the results.

grumpy one
05-16-2007, 08:43 PM
I separate my stick-on WWs into relatively hard and relatively soft. Most of them are relatively hard, and go in with the regular WWs. The soft ones average 5.3 BHN, compared with pure lead at 5.0. No stick-ons are pure lead, but a minority of them are almost pure. Most stick-ons, though, have quite a bit of antimony. They are closer to clip-on WWs than they are to pure lead.

GP100man
05-17-2007, 11:28 PM
WHITETAIL
thanks for the offer ,but a lee tester is in transit as i type this .
i love new toys to play with!!!!!

Grumpy One theres definately a difference in stick on weights!! ive sorted those from the beginning , some are so hard i can hardly bend em!!!

GP100man

flinchnjerk
05-19-2007, 01:23 AM
GP100man
At the risk of violating some copyright law, I'll quote from The Handbook of Commercial Bullet Casting "....battery manufacturers have begun in recent years to use calcium and strontium lead alloys in manufacturing battery plates. It is possible in attempting to melt calcium and strontium battery plates, to liberate arsine or stibnite gas - which could prove fatal. Avoid batteries as a source for bullet metal." As I recall, it takes fewer parts per million of stibnite gas than cyanide to punch your time card.
I work at a place that gets many large industrial (forklift) batteries returned as scrap; for some time, I've been looking longingly at the clamps and cell connectors on the things (there has to be twenty pounds worth on the top of each battery), but had never been able to find out whether the posts and straps were of the same alloy as the plates. I recently spoke to a guy who'd been a sales rep for one of the major battery manufacturers up here; he said that the manufacturers don't go to the trouble of making up two different alloys, so the connectors and straps are the same alloy as the plates. One of the members here- I believe it's Truckjohn - works for a battery manufacturer; he could provide a definite answer. Until such time, you might want to hold off on smelting the connectors - or at least stand about ten miles upwind from your smelting pot.

GP100man
05-19-2007, 11:09 PM
flinchnjerk
i welcome your concern for my well being ,but im not talking about any part of any battery, its the lead on the end of the cables that connect to battery posts.
yes ive thought about these ends alot & have waited for more responses& questions!!! ihave not smelted yet ,but was thinking of doing a mini smelt on the softer ones, upwind always!!!

GP100man