PDA

View Full Version : gun info

Beekeeper
08-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I have no idea where this would go so am asking it here.
If wrong place please move!
I have a Sears Heritage Rifle in 30/06 that my wife bought for me as an aniversary present 46 years ago.
Have shot it very little over the years , about 150 rounds.
It came with scope bases and now I want to change them and put Leupold 2 piece standard bases on it.
Sent the scope to Leupold to get an elevation target knob and sent the bases along with it so I could get a set that matched the hole pattern.

Got a call from Leupold today asking me if I had any more info on the rifle than I sent.

All I know is it is a Heritage MK 4 Rifle sold by sears 45 or 50 years ago. Does anyone know anything about them?

beekeeper

oneokie
08-21-2012, 08:59 PM
This may help: http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/powder-keg/63179-sears-30-06-rifle-help-please.html

Wayne Smith
08-21-2012, 09:05 PM
All of the very limited number I have seen have been FN Mauser actions post war WWII. Very nicely made 98 Mauser actions, some of the best post war made. Hang on to it if that is what it is.

mstarling
08-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Could be M50 or M52 rifles. The Higgins Models 50 and 52 were commercial Mauser actions made in Belgium by FN. They are considered some of the nicest Mausers actions ever built.

They have "FN Action -- Made in Belguim" roll stamped into the side. The safety is a wing on the left side that is intended to be activated by the thumb. Some do not have serial numbers. The spacing of the scope mounting holes is 0.860" both back and front, and that makes them unusual and difficult to find rear bases for as the common spacing for the rear is 0.500".

Tally makes bases that fit.

I have three of these actions. Two have been had new barrels installed. They are GREAT actions.

If it is like the rifle shown in the previous link, it is probably a Santa Barbara large ring Mauser action which has a tang safety. Is not as high a quality action as the FN. I have one of those too ... and it has been made into a boomer.

MtGun44
08-22-2012, 08:22 PM
A couple of photos and we could tell a lot more.

Bill

NVcurmudgeon
08-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Beekeeper, 45-50 years ago the likely .30/06 Sears rifles were the J. C. Higgins Model 50, which was an FN Mauser large ring action, and the J. C. Higgins Model 51L, which was a Huaqvarna small ring (1.30" ring dia.) action. I have a 51L now and did have a 50 back then. Sears would buy the actions and then farm out providing the stocks and barrels to High Standard. An easy way to tell the difference is that the 50 has a common 98 Mauser bolt stop and the 51L has a very small bolt stop that you have to hold your mouth just right to actuate.