PDA

View Full Version : magma pot

05-14-2007, 09:44 AM
i am using a 90 lb magma bottom pour pot. checked the temp with a digital them. the pot is right on. i am getting good bullets at 650 no freez up fast casting. cool mold in ft of a fan about 6 sec. cycle 15 sec. as long as i get good fill out is there a reason to go th 700? this pot is grate. from full 3/4 in from top to 1/2 full the temp stays the same , about 8 deg . heat element is in the bottom so you can take it down a lot. how do you use and work with cat litter? thanks

MakeMineA10mm
05-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Never used cat litter, so I'm no help there.

As far as the temp, if it ain't broke don't fix it! I like casting at the lowest temp that the mould likes and that the alloy works well with as far as filling-out the details of the mould. If you're getting it done at 650, there's no reason to go hotter.

Those are VERY nice pots.

RANGER RICK
05-15-2007, 12:14 AM
i am using a 90 lb magma bottom pour pot. checked the temp with a digital them. the pot is right on. i am getting good bullets at 650 no freez up fast casting. cool mold in ft of a fan about 6 sec. cycle 15 sec. as long as i get good fill out is there a reason to go th 700? this pot is grate. from full 3/4 in from top to 1/2 full the temp stays the same , about 8 deg . heat element is in the bottom so you can take it down a lot. how do you use and work with cat litter? thanks

My 90 pounder also works great at 650 for straight ww .
Can not help you with the kitty clumps I use candle wax and lots of left over lube from many testings !!!

I do not use a fan when working with one mold I use the speed casting method and a damp rag .
When I run 4 or 5 molds I do not use a the wet rag method . The first mold is cooled by the time I get back to it .

686 hit the nail on the head " If it ain't broke don't fix it "

RR

Sundogg1911
05-15-2007, 06:45 PM
I have the 40 pound Magma pot. It's great! The temp stays where I set it no matter how full or empty the pot is. (unlike the Lee pots) I rarely cast above 650F
I try to stay at the lowest temp that will drop a good boolit.