PDA

View Full Version : Bottom pour question

Lunarphase
08-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Is it best to leave some lead in the pot when finished for the day, or best to empty it all out?

Thanks,
Lunar

RobS
08-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Ive done both. Leaving a bit in the bottom works but I still do drain it all out every 4th or so casting session to clean it out real well. I have a Lee 20# pot and doing this keeps it operating smoothly. There not the drip, drip, dripping from the valve etc. I oil it down after each session real well with a thin oil to keep it from rusting and that's all.

Smokin7mm
08-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I leave it full. It melts quicker the next time I go to use it. If I want to clean it out I do that at the end of a session to get any residual dross out then the next time I just leave it full.

Bret

Iron Mike Golf
08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
I try not to get lower than 1/2 " in the pot, unless I am draining it for cleaning. I find that helps to minimize oxide chunks from getting sucked into the spout and partially clogging it.

When I finish a session, I put my sprues in the pot and unplug it. Next session, I'll plug it in and add an ingot if needed.

Frozone
08-21-2012, 04:38 PM
I leave it no less than 1/3 full, any less and it takes a long time to get going again.
Usually, I'll refill it, let it melt, flux it than shut it down.

About once a year I drain the pot to clean it good.
I never let the last 1" or so go out the spout however, I turn the pot up and pour it out from the top. That way I don't get much gunk in the spout.

saint_iverson
08-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Leaving some in it when done helps melt the next time you use it (More lead surface area in contact with the metal heating element) I have a 10 lb pot and leave it about 25% full, then drop a~ 5lb bar in after unplugging it for 2 reasons- 1. Supply for the next smelt/casting 2. cool the melt faster to keep the dripping to a minimum after its off. I have heard of pots that were ran dry and burned up, but thats just hearsay from me

Kraschenbirn
08-21-2012, 06:27 PM
I never run my Lyman Mag 20 completely dry unless I'm changing alloys or getting ready to give it a good cleaning, otherwise, I refill at the end of a casting session and record the contents on the outside of the case with a Sharpie.

Bill

Lunarphase
08-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Cool. Thanks for all the info.