PDA

View Full Version : A trying session with the 41 wc group buy

KevMT
05-14-2007, 12:44 AM
I finally got around to casting with the 6-cavity 41 wc group buy. I kept having trouble with 2 cavities (the 2 closest to the handle) not filling out and having rounded bases. Re-cleaning the cavities, running the mold hotter, and increasing the heat did not help. Nor did changing the order in which I fll the cavities which has helped when other 6 cavity-molds. Finally near the end of the casting session I started resting the bottom of the mold (directly underneath the ofending cavities) on the rim of the casting pot for a count of 15 before each cast. Problem solved. I only whished I had figured it out earlier in the casting session. Has anyone else had this problem?

Kev

475/480
05-14-2007, 08:45 AM
No problem here. my 41 WC takes a little time to heat up but after that it casts great boolits that drop easily.

Sean

Leftoverdj
05-14-2007, 10:00 AM
No such problems here.

The preservative that Lee uses on their moulds is incredibly tenacious stuff. I get it off by boiling in soapy water for half an hour, and it sometimes takes two treatments. Other cleaning methods often fail.

KevMT
05-14-2007, 11:35 AM
No such problems here.

The preservative that Lee uses on their moulds is incredibly tenacious stuff. I get it off by boiling in soapy water for half an hour, and it sometimes takes two treatments. Other cleaning methods often fail.

I was using Acetone on a q-tip which should have done the trick. But before I use the mold again I will give it a good scrubbing anyway. It can't hurt right?

Kev

Buckshot
05-18-2007, 01:32 AM
I was using Acetone on a q-tip which should have done the trick. But before I use the mold again I will give it a good scrubbing anyway. It can't hurt right?

Kev

...........That machining lube (not a preservative) is all over the blocks and not just in the cavity. Cleaning all over has proven best for me. I normally will use a half can of Gum Out carb cleaner on a Lee 6 cavity before sooting and casting.

And yes, I have had issues on the end cavity not filling well, but it's usually the first cavity. Float the end of the blocks (unless your pot is wide enough to set the entire length of the base on the melt) in the 'Up to Temp' melt for a 30 count. Remove and wait another 30 count for the heat to equalize, then begin casting. The first few drops with be very hot boolits, and as the blocks assume thier proper temp for alloy tempurature and casting tempo, all should be fine.

................Buckshot