PDA

View Full Version : Small Vise

montana_charlie
05-13-2007, 11:51 PM
When I first became aware of this design, it was the Multi-Vise at Brownell's for $249. Soon after, I saw the Wheeler on the Midway site for $69. Then, about a four months ago, I found the Parrot vise at Grizzly Industrial for $39.

These are all identical in design, and I assume that quality is about equally good. It looks like a very useful (and flexible) style for a small (18 pound) bench vise.

Yesterday I happened to notice that, until June 24th, Midway has their Wheeler reduced to $29. You may want to look it over at http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=666974
CM

shooter575
05-14-2007, 12:10 AM
I bought mine from a vendor at the Lima Ohio show over the winter that had the same vice at the 39.00 price.Came in a plastic tote box with two bases.Chitcomm made.I havent used mine yet but it does have uses in them odd holding uses.
I would consider this to be a medium duty vice.

KCSO
05-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm going to put in my 2 cents woth here and let the chips fall where they may. I've seen a LOT of the China/Korea ect tools and while useable they are NOT the same quality. The jaws dont line up as well the faces don't meet and mate and the metal quality isn't there. I have cranked on my old Craftsman vise with a 3 foot cheater and the same chicom vise will break in half. If you want a vise for gun cleaning or light duty work these will do you a good job, but if it falls off the bench and hits a concrete floor it will probably break. Cheap tools are good for cheap work, but most of the boogers I see come from inexperience coupledwith cheap tools. Every time I have to blow a broken tap from a hole it is either abused or a cheep India copy. I learned the hard way that if you want lifetime tools you pay the big bucks.

montana_charlie
05-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Twas not I who said any of them are made in China.

The one from Grizzly may be, but the Wheeler at Midway is claimed to be American-made.
The Multi-Vise at Brownell's...for $249...BETTER be made here (or in Switzerland, by watchmakers).

Close examination of the pictures show small differences in various components, and details in the castings. It's obvious that no two (of these three units) are made in the same plant.

A quick word about the one at Grizzly...
Shiraz Balolia, the owner of that company, is a guitar builder.
He, and other 'luthiers' knew that the old Versa-vise was a favorite among craftsmen in that line.
Balolia did whatever was necessary to get a copy of that tool mass produced for Grizzly (which he calls the Parrot vise) and according to other luthiers the fit and finish is even better than the originals.
CM

Scrounger
05-15-2007, 07:31 PM
I would have posted this sooner but my wireless internet provider kept me off the air for a day and a half. You're sure right about how handy a vise is. I was looking for one 2 or 3 years ago and I found the one pictured below. I had to buy a whole case to get them down to a reasonable (cheap) price but it was worth it to me. I have one in the house and another out in my reloading room. Gave a couple away as gifts and I still have a few left. If you want one for $15 plus shipping, send me a PM.

Bret4207
05-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Is that the Grizzly model?

Re- Grizzly. Some of their stuff is good, some is little better than junk. I still buy from them, but sometimes their advertising doesn't live up to my expectations. YMMV.

Pepe Ray
05-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Scrounger'
Discription please.
Black jaw faces are ? Rubber/ Iron?
Body is ? Cast Alum'n?, Iron?
Will it hold a SMLE in horizontal position w/clamped on butt?
I've never seen one of these advertised anywhere.
Thanks, Pepe Ray

Dye
05-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I would have posted this sooner but my wireless internet provider kept me off the air for a day and a half. You're sure right about how handy a vise is. I was looking for one 2 or 3 years ago and I found the one pictured below. I had to buy a whole case to get them down to a reasonable (cheap) price but it was worth it to me. I have one in the house and another out in my reloading room. Gave a couple away as gifts and I still have a few left. If you want one for $15 plus shipping, send me a PM.
Scrounger
PM me your address and telephone number again. I will send a courier over to pick two tomorrow with CASH

BE Carefull Dye

Scrounger
05-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Scrounger'
Discription please.
Black jaw faces are ? Rubber/ Iron?
Body is ? Cast Alum'n?, Iron?
Will it hold a SMLE in horizontal position w/clamped on butt?
I've never seen one of these advertised anywhere.
Thanks, Pepe Ray

Jaws are Rubber, body is cast iron, I think. I've never tried to hold a rifle in it so I can't say for sure. I suspect it would but no guarantee.

MT Gianni
05-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Scrounger, the vise arrived this week and I got home yesterday. What a slick little tool. It now resides on my reloading bench saving a lot of trips to the shop for the Big Iron. Gianni.

HotGuns
05-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Ive got the Griz vise and it looks as good or better than the others. So far its been working quite well.

Heres a picture.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b130/HotGuns/h3302.jpg