PDA

View Full Version : New Knee

Echo
08-19-2012, 10:15 PM
The old one had degenerated into a bone-on-bone situation, so into the hospital I went last Monday. Stayed there for a couple days, and now in a rehab place, and will probably be here for another week. Some good-lookin' PT's - but they aren't Physical Therapists, they are PHYSICAL TERRORISTS! Carrumba, but those folks know how to hurt a guy! Can't be helped, the more pain now, the sooner I get into my own bed. The computer here is sort of in demand, and I decided not to bring my laptop, so I'll be fairly incommunicado for a while.

crabo
08-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Been there, done that! (2 times) The pain is worth it in the end.

PHYSICAL TERRORISTS! is correct.

WILCO
08-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Hang tough Echo. I'll fire off a prayer for you.

Bad Water Bill
08-19-2012, 11:30 PM
THE MORE PAIN NOW THE MORE GAIN LATER

A friends terrorist had to have NEW stitches installed the NEXT day.

However 6 weeks after surgery he was on his knees installing CARPETING again so he said more pain more gain.

opos
08-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Had one done in 06...best thing I ever did...took some healing time but I don't hardly even think about it any more...it works great....do the exercises and p/t they outline in recovery...that made a huge difference in my knee, I'm sure. I did exactly as told....not much more and not much less....boring but worth the trouble later on.

Hardcast416taylor
08-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Had my left knee done as a gift to myself the last job I retired from in `03. Now my right knee is clicking on me. Those P.T.`s really know how to get you sweaty doing the stretch exercises. Good luck on the re-hab.Robert

Hickory
08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Physical Therapy and the stationary bike are your best friends.
Just remember this; no matter how much it hurts, it's good for you.
And you won't be hurting your knee, in a few months you'll love the new one.
My knee is 6+ years old and it feel, as if, I have never had anything wrong with it.

trooperdan
08-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Echo, my left knee was one year old on the 11th this month. I won't say the procedure was fun nor the therapy but all in all, I'd have to say it was worth it. I'd never let my wife hear me say that though! I would have just "lived with it" if she hadn't insisted I have it done. Trying to keep up with a young wife is tough on ya! :)

Rick N Bama
08-20-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm 64 YO & looking at a replacement in the not so distant future. While walking my 2 miles this morning I almost had to call for help to get back to my car and if I had not had my cane with me I might not have made it. I've had it worked on 2 times & my Doc says the next trip to the OR will be a replacement.

Are you guys able to walk as in walking for exercise? How about "Slogging", which is what I call slow Jogging. Jogging is responsible for the knee's current condition.

I do exercise my knee almost every day which I believe has kept me from having the replacement so far.

Thanks guys,

Rick

MtGun44
08-20-2012, 01:42 PM
I have been informed that I will need a knee replacement in the relatively near future,
maybe 1 or maybe 5 yrs, hard to say.

Any guidance from 'them that has gone before' would be appreciated. I mostly hear
good things about them. I like hiking in the mountains and wonder if this will be possible
after I get the knee done. Like with a 50 lb pack.

Bill

trooperdan
08-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Rick, my doc vetoed any running and parachute jumping. I tried to convince him I can land a square OK but he knows how bad a screwed up landing can be! I don't miss running all that much.. but every spring I want to air out a canopy again! I'm very close to a well-known skydiving center, Raeford drop zone as well as a couple of military clubs on Ft Bragg.. maybe just one more time!
Other than that, I can do a lot more than I could before! I hike, walk at a four mile an hour pace, just no pressure on the knees!

KAF
08-20-2012, 03:46 PM
IF a total knee replacement the stems are driven in to the thigh bone and shin bone, yep with a hammer. The impact of running or jumping can break the bones like splitting wood near the edge. IF a partial replacement where they replace only the wear parts that is less a problem. Best to not damage things after a replacement. A revision can be done but more chances of messing things up after that.

JMax
08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
My first was 31 Jan this year and the second on 10July this year. Shot a rimfire rifle pistol match 3 1/2 weeks after surgery went put the stairs the first night home and yes PT does stress ones will but it is worth it. I will be leaving for my next session in one hour and look forward to it even though there is pain afterward. I bought a total gym after the first replacement and will be looking for a good stationary bike as those two tools are highly recommended by my surgeon and therapists. Best thing I have ever done and highly recommend it to those who need it.

My surgeon asked me how I knew that I needed a new knee, I told him I watched the YouTube video, could get most tools at Ace Hardware all I needed was drugs. Yes he felt that it was time. You will know and kick your self for waiting too long.

trooperdan
08-20-2012, 04:19 PM
I think they got the tools at Advance Auto, looked like what you'd use to rebuilt the front suspension of a '69 Mustang

Moondawg
08-20-2012, 04:47 PM
Good News, for all you folks looking at getting a knee or hip replacement. Next year it will cost more. The Obamacare tax on medical devices kicks in Jan. 1, 2013 Artificial joints are considered a medical device. You taxpayer $$$$ are at work.

JeffinNZ
08-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Will that count as an artificial support in shooting competition?

JMax
08-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Good News, for all you folks looking at getting a knee or hip replacement. Next year it will cost more. The Obamacare tax on medical devices kicks in Jan. 1, 2013 Artificial joints are considered a medical device. You taxpayer $$$$ are at work.

That is why I got both of mine done this year and my wife will get her second one done later this year due to Obamacare taxes.