PDA

View Full Version : New guy and a new project

dippmaster
08-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Hello, i'm new here, so before I begin let me lay out my limited "gunsmithing" experience.

1887 71/84 IG Mod German Mauser: Had been left to rust for 30+ years. I completely reblued all metal components, and got it completely functional. It's the gun that started me in both gunsmithing and reloading.

1900's Siamese Mauser 45-70: Also left to rust for 30+ years, had been sported. reblued all metal components and refinished the stock. now completely functional.

1882 Italian Vetterli: a very odd gun, Short and single shot. was stored in a box in pieces for 30+ years. Minor rust removal. fully functional.

My new project is a 1903-A3 Springfield. It had also been left to rust for 30+ years in a leaky attic like the others, but is in far worse condition. It has been sported. bolt assembly is missing, trigger assembly is missing as is the magazine follower and spring. the rifling appears to be intact and the chamber has no pitting, just a light dusting of rust that was easily removed with a brass brush and my dremel. The crowning was ruined by rust and there is plenty of pitting on the exterior of the barrel. However I would like to see about rebarreling this gun. I want to get it back to original condition to go with my Lee Enfield No1Mk3* and Mosin Nagant.

Casting Timmy
08-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Would it be simpler to start with a rifle a little closer to original? I don;t know how much they machined off the original receiver and how much they altered the stock.

I'd start by seeing how much you can get a working 03A3 versus the parts total.

Either way have fun with your project, and it sounds like you've come across and saved a few guns.

buyobuyo
08-20-2012, 02:42 PM
If you're okay with new production parts, the CMP (http://www.odcmp.com/) has barrels and stock sets. They have two stores in Anniston, AL and Port Clinton, OH, so if you're close to either of those, you could see if they have any of the other parts you need available.

S.R.Custom
08-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Before I spent any time or money on it, I'd see if I could get the barrel off without breaking anything. Springer barrels are put on with the Right Hand of God™ to start with. Add rust, and it gets fun fast.