PDA

View Full Version : How dedicated ?

Digger
08-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Snuck out to the range for a little bit , been a long time , ... wanted to try out some .357 loads with Mihec's 158 gr hp .....
When I arrived , there was only one other person there on the rifle side and nobody on the pistol.
Walked up to the bench and Wow ! saw something I haven't in a long time ..... the stalls were littered with brass , mostly 40 sw ..
Got to scrounging really fast , cleaned up most of it and went about shooting my loads ... got done and proceeded to scrounge for lead in the berms as still nobody was about .....came home with about 30 lbs of lead and 5 or 6 lbs of brass ...
As I was in the process , I thought to my self ... man ! .. must be pretty dedicated when you are scrounging before you pull the trigger ....:oops:

digger

mongo
08-19-2012, 01:00 AM
Thats what I call a really good day at the range. Its not to often that you find that much brass just lying around waitin to be picked up.

fredj338
08-19-2012, 01:04 AM
Nah, just a good day. If you don't take carre of business first, someone else will come along & do it.

tomme boy
08-19-2012, 01:15 AM
I always look for brass first. That way you can talk to the other people there and ask them if they are saving their brass. When a cease fire comes up, I then go over to the people I talked to an pick up while I can.

WILCO
08-19-2012, 01:18 AM
I always scrounge before firing.

fcvan
08-19-2012, 01:38 AM
When I go to my favorite shooting spots, I always look for brass before I shoot. Friday. I made some money - as I call it - picking up brass. In the past month I've picked up a couple boxes of .45, some .44 mag, some .40, and a bunch of 9mm. I'm always glad to pick up something, even if it's something I don't shoot. I'm convinced it will be good trading stock at some point.

My wife is the real scrounger. She usually picks up a coffee can full of brass whenever she goes out. A lot of it is 9mm for which I'm sure I have 10k in brass, half of which I have loaded up. It's always nice to feel like I'm collecting more value in brass than the amount of powder and primers I'm burning up. I think the only thing that would make things better would be to make a boolit trap so I could reclaim the lead I'm sending downrange. I'm thinking this will be a good project this winter. Frank

jdgabbard
08-19-2012, 03:13 AM
I always sweep up around the place first, mostly because I don't want to step on the brass (I have bad ankles and they roll easily), and secondly to collect the brass. Most of which at my range is 9mm. Any 40 brass I pick up I donate to a guy at a local gun store, he hooks me up with a case of primers, or any small odd and end tools I need. The 45 I save...don't load for it, but I'm still swearing that I'll own a nice 1911A1 one day.

PS Paul
08-19-2012, 04:23 AM
:cry:Reminds me of a range I used to frequent in Northern CA: I used to always shoot at the furthest lane to the right since invariably, it was always full of brass. Always. I scrounged when I arrived, scrounged in the middle and scrounged when I left. Always a great source of auto-pistol brass. Without fail.

One day in early spring (the time of year is important to the outcome of this story), I took to my usual "scrounging session" before shooting when an old-timer came up to me. "Are you immune or what? I've seen you in there before and you must be, right?". "Immune?", I asked. "Well, that's the worst patch of poison oak in the place!! and you don't seem to be bothered by it?"
Two days later, I was at the hospital taking an injection in my backside for what turned out to be a three-month long "bout" with festering, weeping wounds and everywhere but my face- and I mean EVERYWHERE(!)- itched like nothing I'd ever experienced!! Apparently, this foreign plant, unbeknownst to me, became "bright and shiny" with oil this time of year and it was then I discovered I was certainly NOT immune, just FOOLISH and IGNORANT beyond words!! Dedicated? You be the judge! ha-ha!!

JeffinNZ
08-19-2012, 05:40 AM
Me. I just cashed in 14kg of range brass and got $65.00 back. That's a 1000 primers in my part of the world. Waste not.....

captaint
08-19-2012, 06:56 AM
A couple of three months ago, I got a new 9mm and started casting & loading for it. I was going to buy 1000 cases here on S&S, but I hesitated. I had 100 cases from ammo I had bought years ago for shootin in somebody else's 9mm. I loaded them up and went to the range and guess what ?? there's 9mm brass all over. Every time I go, now, I check the buckets first. I must have at least 1000 cases now, most of them once fired. Glad I didn't waste money buying it. HA ! enjoy Mike

youngda9
08-19-2012, 07:42 AM
I always peek in the brass box and trash can at the range. I sometimes find something nice. I was at an indoor range once and in the brass bucket were 135 or so unfired and primed 50AE cases. They were so large they fit around my thumb IIRC. I imagine someone bought a gun and some reloading supplies before firing such a beast. They then decided to dispose of the brass at the range. I scooped it up and sold it for about $40.

Tatume
08-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Once our brass bucket had several hundred once-fired 338 Win Mag cases in it, with the empty boxes to boot. Not only did I scarf them up, but soon after I bought a rifle in which to use them!

RKJ
08-19-2012, 08:30 AM
I always pick up the brass and scrounge the berm before I shoot, that way it's done and out of the way before anyone else shows up. It seems I can't walk by a piece of brass on the ground without picking it up. I don't believe I'm saving any money though. I've got around 300 .308 Win that I don't have a rifle for and about 3000 9mm that I don't have a BHP to shoot through, so I'm going to have to buy a new rifle and pistol. The sacrifices I make just to keep the range a little cleaner. :)

Jack Stanley
08-19-2012, 10:03 AM
In the years that I shot at a public range I got a little brass or lead here and there . It didn't take to long to find out why there was rarely any on the ground . There was a guy that would check the place sometime several times a day . if he was bored , he'd even get out a little sifter and get the rimfire brass . I never did see him shoot anything there , just take whatever wasn't nailed down .

Jack

Digger
08-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I was just surprised to find it laying there .... compared to a few yrs back when hardly any one was picking up brass .....
Never seem to find any these days , all in the timing I guess as while I was scrounging the berms later , a couple drove in and went to picking up brass ... no shooting , just brass scrounging and left quietly.
As time goes on they see me collecting lead .. the light bulb will go on and they will be out there doing the same ...
Get it while you can ! .....:castmine:

aarolar
08-19-2012, 10:23 AM
At the range I frequent I am in competition with another fellow, sometimes I get there and there's nothing but 22 sometimes I get a 1/2 a five gallon bucket of mixed stuff.