PDA

View Full Version : Caught a whiff of Fall in the air......

WILCO
08-18-2012, 09:09 PM
And that got me to thinking of squirrel hunting. Can't wait.

newton
08-18-2012, 10:00 PM
And that got me to thinking of squirrel hunting. Can't wait.

Yea, it's been real nice around here for a little bit. I had some rounds made up for the 30-06 for squirrels, but I put some deer hunting rounds in and went pig hunting. Didn't see any pigs, a few deer and an armadillo. The armadillo did not fare so well.

runfiverun
08-18-2012, 10:01 PM
i have been wearing a flanell shirt every morning till about 10-11 am for a couple of weeks now.
it's usually about 37-38-f right before sun up.
and about 85 at mid-day.
this winter is gonna be bad.

Moondawg
08-18-2012, 10:36 PM
We are supposed to get a taste of fall like weather in the next few days. A cold front is moving in and our daytime highs will be down to 89-91 degrees and the night time lows are going to get down to a chilly 78 degrees instead of the 80-83 we have been running. I may have to break out a long sleeved shirt and long legged blue jeans.

richhodg66
08-19-2012, 12:33 AM
It's been real cool here now and has me wanting to deer hunt. Our muzzle loader is the second half of September and it feels like that now. Can't wait!

Dry as it's been, I wonder how it will affect things. Haven't been out to my hunting grounds in a while, I might oughta do that this weekend. Our squirrel season is already open, I just can't get into hunting them when it's still warm. Down south where I grew up, nobody does until they have a frost.

9.3X62AL
08-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Still hotter than blazes hereabouts. 10:20 P.M., and 95*. Rained hard last night, "monsoon" they call it. Humid, nasty aftermath. Delightful. Makes it humid, chases the doves south or scatters them all over (waterholes lose their charm when there are sources everywhere), and the heat doesn't back off one micro-notch.

No such whiffs in this here area code, for darn sure.

waksupi
08-19-2012, 01:25 AM
It's hitting in the thirties here already at night. Hope it holds off so the garden can finish doing it's thing!

3006guns
08-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Still hotter than blazes hereabouts. 10:20 P.M., and 95*. Rained hard last night, "monsoon" they call it. Humid, nasty aftermath. Delightful. Makes it humid, chases the doves south or scatters them all over (waterholes lose their charm when there are sources everywhere), and the heat doesn't back off one micro-notch.

No such whiffs in this here area code, for darn sure.

We have the same situation up here in northern Cal. The rain was refreshing though. Our local weather usually turns with a bang every year....summer to fall in one or two days. Even though I snivelled about the cold last winter, I can't wait for it to cool off a bit.

newton
08-19-2012, 11:31 AM
I trulely envy you northwest guys. I have always wanted to live up there, since I was a little kid. I just have not been able to convince my wife that its where we need to be. I love 30 degree mornings!

garbear
08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
All indications out here in my area says early fall hard cold winter. There are tons of acorns on the scrub oak. I am heading to Amase valley for pine nuts. I suspect it should e a good harvest for them this year. My pumkins are turning orange already and the mornings have been very cool. I have already grabbed a truck load of fire wood. We are going out Laborday to cut 3 more. I am hoping for lots of snow to offset draught. Funny last spring we were worried about to much water.
Garbear

x101airborne
08-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Last time we got below 30 degrees here, I went into rut. 9 months later here comes Dillon. I cant afford a cold winter.

9.3X62AL
08-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Still waiting for that autumnal ambiance to head this way. I must say, today is almost bearable--93* @ 1:30 P.M. 3 degrees cooler, and locals will start donning sweatshirts, I'm certain.

9.3X62AL, The SBI In BFE

Junior1942
08-20-2012, 07:44 AM
In about a week if the early cool spell hits north Louisiana, I'm taking my new Hennessy Safari Hammock on a week long safari to the river bottom. Maybe I can catch enough fish for a lake-side campfire fish fry, and maybe a small hog will stroll in front of my newish 10" Contender 30-30 and a 311041. Or maybe I'll take my 10" Contender 7mmTCU and 7mm soupcans. Decisions, decisions....

I'm hoping the front-entrance Hennesssy is friendly to my arthritic knees.

JDL
08-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Junior, How does the 7mm soupcans do and what loads are you using? I saw MidSouth had some in stock but, I haven't heard any discussion about them.
Pardon for hijacking the thread.

softpoint
08-20-2012, 12:43 PM
We are supposed to get a taste of fall like weather in the next few days. A cold front is moving in and our daytime highs will be down to 89-91 degrees and the night time lows are going to get down to a chilly 78 degrees instead of the 80-83 we have been running. I may have to break out a long sleeved shirt and long legged blue jeans.

Yeah, Here in good old Texas, where anything less than 100 degrees is a cold front:-D However, 90 or so is better than the 105 or so we've been having lately..

softpoint
08-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Last time we got below 30 degrees here, I went into rut. 9 months later here comes Dillon. I cant afford a cold winter.

At 61, false ruts take place. Generally only the neck and knees get stiff when the temp. drops......:target_smiley:

ovendoctor
08-20-2012, 12:49 PM
starting to get color change here in Da Keweenaw :grin:

Doc.

Crawdaddy
08-20-2012, 12:53 PM
The wife and I were talking about that last night. I is getting a bit chilly at night time. We had to close the windows.

I was bear hunting last week and saw a bumper crop of acorns and June berries. The squirrels were just as thick. I havent squirrel hunted in years. Might have to give it a try.

quilbilly
08-25-2012, 12:12 PM
It was 43 this morning here. Felt good and saw a young buck already out of velvet yesterday evening

Love Life
08-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Nice cool mornings here with hot afternoons. It may be a rough winter, but we need a lot of snow to make up for last.

I haven't seen any leaves turning though. Oh wait...we have pinion pines.

quilbilly
08-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Love Life - Gardnerville and Minden are gorgeous in the fall, usually late October. So are the Santa Rosas north of Winnemucca on about the second week of October in back of Hinkey Summit (don't forget the shotgun for any suicidal quail or chukar).

waksupi
08-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Fall whiffed enough here last night to put a bit of fresh snow on the mountains, and it got down to 27 degrees at Seeley Lake.
Elk are bugling, too. I can feel my neck swelling.

MT Gianni
08-26-2012, 09:38 PM
It froze here the last two nights. This is about 2-3 weeks early for us. If it gives us some moisture it is more than welcome.

Adam10mm
08-26-2012, 11:07 PM
starting to get color change here in Da Keweenaw :grin:

Doc.
Already got leaves on the ground here in Laurium. :(

Been highs of 80s and lows of 60s. Surprised it hasn't changed yet, but it's a couple-few weeks away.

I'm gearing up for some squirrel hunting myself. Have been going after reds all summer because there is no closed season and it's good meat. Been casting some 150gr SWCs for my 10mm using the Lee 145gr mould. Great bullet and a challenge to place headshots with my 1911.

Gunfreak25
08-26-2012, 11:34 PM
It was a beautiful 106 today. :)

Jim
08-26-2012, 11:37 PM
2600 ft. ASL is nothin' compared to where some of y'all are, but here in Floyd, it beats the snot out of that heat I used to put up with in SC. The leaves are turning and falling and the nights are getting cooler. We had low 50s last night.

My 'coon huntin' buddy called today and asked me if I'm ready. Silly man.

Crawdaddy
08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Got into the 40's the other night in the mountains outside ABQ. Deer season is on the horizon.

WRideout
08-31-2012, 08:32 PM
It was noticeably cooler here last night. PA hunting seasons are somewhat delayed, compared to everywhere else I have lived. Squirrel season doesn't start until October, and they don't like to run the seasons concurrently; squirrel stops when deer season starts. The only thing that is typically open all year, any time, is coyote.

Wayne

Moondawg
08-31-2012, 08:38 PM
It was 104 just two days ago. Today it only got up to 92. So, it must be the begining of fall. Why long about Thanksgiving we might be able to turn the AC off.

ovendoctor
08-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Already got leaves on the ground here in Laurium. :(

Been highs of 80s and lows of 60s. Surprised it hasn't changed yet, but it's a couple-few weeks away.

I'm gearing up for some squirrel hunting myself. Have been going after reds all summer because there is no closed season and it's good meat. Been casting some 150gr SWCs for my 10mm using the Lee 145gr mould. Great bullet and a challenge to place headshots with my 1911.

yup come to think about it we got an anniversary coming up right quick here
opening day of small game [33 years]:-D

Doc.

ain't forgot one yet :mrgreen:

Adam10mm
09-01-2012, 12:23 AM
Wonderful! Some day I'll get there. Most of my small game experience has been either deer hunting and blasting a squirrel that won't shut up or just going for a walk in the woods and killing a few with my carry pistol if I could get a shot off. Last year was the first real effort that I hunted them. Grouse too, but man those things are hard to hunt without a dog! Saw a few woodcock on the farm, but they were out of range before I got the gun up.

This weekend I'm getting all my gear together and getting some 20ga 7/8oz ammo loaded. I'm going all in with small game this season.

9.3X62AL
09-01-2012, 12:42 AM
Dove opener in T-minus 8 hours and counting. Ithaca 37 x 20 gauge and the game belt are waiting in the garage. Just about every Opener since 1965.......yes, a lotta shotshells and some fine memories.

sav300
09-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Tis the first day of spring here and I have ice on my car and 1c temp.

Michael J. Spangler
09-04-2012, 10:43 PM
it hit me a few weeks back but has not hit since. i can't wait for it. i do sit and day dream about squirrels and upland here and there, but i need to get that crisp feel to the air to really get my heart pumping. still in the 80's way too hot to get the feeling going

Freightman
09-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Wish you had all the squirrels I have and I had none, my fault I let the pecan tree they planted alone yeas ago. Three big trees and it is busy around here in the fall. Saw the price of pecans at Sams I have a fortune in nuts, get 200+# off the older tree and the two others are about to break they are so loaded

Iowa Fox
09-07-2012, 04:24 PM
The last couple of mornings here have been cool with a heavy dew. The apples are starting to fall off the trees and the 4 legged varmints are right there to slurp them up. No signs of the big bucks yet just the fawns, yearlings, and does. Only a few squirrels this year as my nut trees did not have many nuts this year. My neighbors hickories are loaded so the squirrels are over at his place. I picked up a sack of them but have not had a chance to crack them yet. Good thing my wife has lots of walnuts and hickory nuts left in the freezer from last year.

Hogdaddy
09-07-2012, 09:27 PM
I put out a couple of pawins, going to check em tonight ; )
H/D