PDA

View Full Version : Is there a sticky for

crabo
08-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Loading cast in a bottleneck cartridge? I am getting my stuff together to start loading for my new 30/30 MG Marlin. I have cast and loaded thousands for my pistols and 45/70 guidegun. Cast in a bottleneck rifle cartridge is a new area for me.

I will be starting with range brass because I have picked up a ton of it. I think lube and alloys would be good topics to discuss.

I figured I am not the only one who would like to be able to access this information easily. MtGun44 did a good one on the 9mm.

Thanks,

jdgabbard
08-18-2012, 07:36 PM
The basics are pretty much the same... One thing to look at is making sure that the base of the boolit is not below the neck, being exposed to burning powder. Even more crucial when using gas checks. Any good lube should be able to handle the load provided that there is enough of it. I like carnuba red. Powders just depend on what you have, the round, the boollit, and the purpose.

Bret4207
08-18-2012, 07:40 PM
It's all about fit. Bottle necks aren't much different than straight walled. I've tried to avoid the hazard of the "base below the neck" thing, but I've never had a problem when I've done it either. Seat it into the throat as far as you can and start there.

Wayne Smith
08-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Plan on using a gas check if you are planning on going even close to normal velocity in a rifle.

imashooter2
08-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Marlin micro groove barrels generally like them fat and hard. My 30AS slugs at .3085 and I use water dropped boolits sized .311.

tonyjones
08-18-2012, 09:52 PM
crabo,

The answer to your question is yes. It is in the stickies section of this sub forum and was authored by goodsteel.

Regards,

Tony

crabo
08-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks Tony. I remember it now.