PDA

View Full Version : FFFg vs. FFg in flinter.

BIG BEAR
05-13-2007, 01:07 AM
pros an cons of FFFg / FFg in KENTUCKY rifle.its a cva or TRADITIONS.(ARDESA SPAIN BARREL) new to smoke poles. have.. only owned a 1854 .44 navy b.p. revolver repro. in the past. have SEVEN POUNDS OF F F F g, and 1 pound of ffffg for pan. thanks guys. BIG BEAR. a.k.a.POPS:drinks: (after the guns are stored)

Bigjohn
05-13-2007, 03:23 AM
Big Bear, most would say; "Its the calibre which determines the granulation."
With rifles, it is recommended to use FFFg in calibres upto .45" and FFg in the larger calibres. However, having said that there has been some load data published which shows loads for FFFg above .45 calibre.

Personally, I find I can 'kick' off a load with FFFg in the priming pan just as easly as FFFFg.

Blackpowder FFFg granulation is classed as faster burning than FFg hence its use in the smaller calibre rifles.

If you would tell us the calibre of the rifle, we could check for load data suitable for it.

:drinks:
John.

piwo
05-13-2007, 10:16 AM
I've been using FFFG exclusively in my .54 flinter and won't go back to FFg. I get less chunky crud in the barrel, higher velocities (measured over chrony), and I use it in the pan to set off the charge. Simplicity, performance and convenience all in one granulation.:wink: Eventually, when I get off my lazy dupa, I’m going to have my .58 into play and that may require a switch to FFg for it. I’ll try both but may be spitting into the wind trying the FFFg with it. But you never know until you try.

I know there are some old rules about caliber size and granulations, but they appear to be loose guide lines then hard and fast rules in my eyes. I'm sure they are rooted in some good theory: probably wouldn't use FFFg to set off the BP cannon now would we! :shock: But at what point you make the changes is a little grey, and I wouldn't hesitate some experimentation with any of the granulations on either side of the "caliber/powder" published recommendations.

PS: I use the FFFg in my double barrel 12 guage percussion shotgun as well.

madcaster
05-13-2007, 11:08 AM
And then there is 7F.........it's like flour!

waksupi
05-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I use 3FFF in everything, from .32, to 20 guage. Shoots the best for me across the board.
I suggest the recommendations on granulation size, according to bore size, relates back to when the powders available were different, and from what I hear, better from what we have today.
For any who haven't tried it, check out the Schutzen BP. I have been trying out a case, and fouling is much less than GOEX. Accuracy seems to be good, as I won a couple matches this weekend with it. Price is right, too. Doc Carlson at Upper Missouri Trading Co. carries it, and I'm sure others do too.

Boondocker
05-13-2007, 09:54 PM
I have nothing but 3f in pan and pipe in the 50 the last couple years works well.

Blammer
05-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I have two 50's, one a caplock and one a flinter.

I have used 2 F for the main charge forever and a #11 cap and 4 F in the pan on my flinter.

works fine for me.

I get good accuracy too.

KCSO
05-15-2007, 09:48 AM
I admit to being lazy. I just use 3F in all my flinters for everything. I started doing this as the 3F fouled al little less and I got quicker reloads for hunting. When i found out that there was no difference in ignition time between 3 and 4 as priming i just quit buying 4.

felix
05-15-2007, 10:21 AM
High humidity requires 4F for ignition. ... felix

d.thomson
05-16-2007, 07:36 AM
I was told to use 2 f in flinters because there is more air inbetween the granuals of BP which intern gives quiker ignition. also with a flinter you dont crush the powder when you seat the ball. same reason. use your T.H. pick and make a chanel in your main charge through the T. H. again it alowes air in and makes more surface area on the B.P. in the main charge for quicker ignition. MY 2 cent Dave T.

I Haines
05-18-2007, 01:56 AM
I was told to use 2 f in flinters because there is more air inbetween the granuals of BP which intern gives quiker ignition. also with a flinter you dont crush the powder when you seat the ball. ignition.

I read an article that said the same thing. Use 2fg and seat the ball by a mark on the ramrod. Air space gives faster ignition. Most flinters I know use 3fg in barrel and pan, even with .54 caliber rifles. Saves from using another horn with 4fg.

Two Steps
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
I use 3f in all of my MLs..from .32cal to .62cal, both as a charge and a prime. ( I have had some good results with 2f in the .56 & .62 smoothbores when using shot instead of round ball.) As was said above, each of these MLs has it's own idea about what it likes as far as powder..patch...ball. Finding the right combo is part of the fun. I enjoy having only one granulation to keep up with. On this same subject...with the very high humidity here in the sandhills, 4f in the pan sucks up the moisture like a sponge...another reason I like 3f in the pan. As with everything, your mileage may vary :)
Al