PDA

View Full Version : A Texas Two-Step. Ranchdog & Geargnasher for the Golden Boolit Award

Recluse
08-16-2012, 04:13 AM
We all know what the Golden Boolit Award is. It's a distinguished honor bestowed upon those members here who have made significant contributions to the art, science and mysticism of boolit casting as well as who have made generous contributions of their time and efforts to this community and forum.

To that end, I'm proposing something somewhat unusual. I'm nominating TWO individuals, and both happen to be fellow Texans.

Ranchdog, aka Michael, has done more to help enhance and further the world of lever guns and lever gun hunting than anyone I know in the modern era. A lot of us can still easily remember when there weren't all that many selections of quality projectiles for some of the "odder" caliber lever guns out there.

Enter Michael and Ranchdog Bullets.

Michael took it upon himself to learn the craft of boolit design, then spent endless hours with Lee Precision to have the designs custom-made and in the process, opened incredible new horizons for shooters and hunters all over the world.

And in an area near and dear to me, the world of alox lubing, he refined a fool-proof and proven method of "dip-lubing" his boolits as well as a way to recover the excess alox.

All of this kept the lead projectile shooter's costs to a bare minimum while keeping their accuracy and satisfaction to an optimum.

Michael is getting out of the business so that he can dedicate more time to HIS life, which he has dang well earned. Some of us remember a frightening episode his wife had with a health malady and the prayer vigil that ensued. Things like that tend to remind a man of what's important, and Michael has his priorities in order. Lee Precision, we understand, will be incorporating the vast majority of his designs into their custom mold offerings.

The only thing that could possibly be better with Michael, in MY opinion, is if he'd made a runway (grass would be fine) on his place because I'd love to fly down there, do a little shooting on his place, have dinner with him and his lovely bride, and revel in why I contend that shooters are the best people in the universe.

For all of that, I nominate Michael/Ranchdog for the Cast Boolits Golden Boolit Award.

My second nominee's contributions are both immediate and plentiful, especially if you are a newcomer around here or new to reloading. . . or if you have a mechanical problem with your car or vehicle.

Ian, aka Geargnasher, literally burst upon the scene here going high-speed with little to no drag and hasn't slowed down since. I'm not sure when the guy sleeps, although since it's 3:00 a.m., I wonder when *I* sleep at times.

I've yet to see or meet the member that Gear hasn't either helped, offered to help, contributed ideas to or offered thoughts on their pursuits.

As I've often made metaphorical reference to Cast Boolits being a town, with Ken being Mayor and the mods being the councilmen, Geargnasher would be that guy sitting down at the general store in a rocking chair whittling away on some wood with a far-away look in his eyes. Passerbys stop and ask him everything from which oil filter they need for their 1994 Chevy 5.7 liter pickup truck to how long they should brew a batch of Felix lube if they substitute sperm whale oil in lieu of mineral oil.

Gear will always have the answer.

I remember early on, not long after he joined, there was some guy coming around trying to sell us "anti-leading" goop or whatever and making miracle claims of "eliminates all leading while improving accuracy."

Gear took it upon himself to order some and did the damndest and most extensive testing on the stuff, showed us the targets, showed us his barrels and then declared the stuff garbage.

"Wow," I said to myself. "This guy is serious."

Then there is the area of tinkering and engineering. . . Who else would morph and frankenstein two presses together to get a Lee Classic Cast 1000? I'm not sure if Ian did it because someone might've said it can't be done, or if it's just part of his insatiable curiosity.

I suspect it is/was because of his quest for ultimate performance and perfection, as well as his unbridled passion for the world of handloading.

Forum members like Ian are what make forums like Cast Boolits what it/they are today. It is those members who go above and beyond with their contributions of knowledge and experience to share with the younger/newer members of our fold in order to aid them along just as we were helped by the generations ahead of us.

Time and time again I've seen Ian go FAR out of his way to explain something in great and unmistakable detail to both new members and old alike. It is because of this passion and tireless pursuit of perfection that I nominate Geargnasher (Ian) for the Cast Boolits Golden Boolit Award.

With greatest admiration and respect,

:coffee:

btroj
08-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Absolutely

Ben
08-16-2012, 07:33 AM
I fully agree ! !

2 EXCELLENT nominees .

Ben

Jim
08-16-2012, 07:40 AM
The motion has been made and seconded. All in favor, say "Aye!"

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Oh Yeah, both are more than deserving !

Nobade
08-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Aye! Both are incredibly hard workers who have greatly benefited the cast boolit community.

BoolitSchuuter
08-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Aye, Aye!!

WOW, I think I had a Naval moment there. :bigsmyl2:

GRid.1569
08-16-2012, 07:59 AM
Aye & Aye

Grandpas50AE
08-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Aye to both. Although I haven't known Ranchdog from first-hand dealing, I have seen the posts of those who have, and no doubt in my mind about the significant contribution he has made to the cast boolit craft for lever guns especially. As far as Geargnasher, this is funny timing, because I sent a PM to Ken suggesting this about a week and a half ago - definitely gets my vote because of his patience with noobs and his dedication to helping others acquire and understand the fundamental science of boolit casting, alloys, lubes, et al. Hope both are given the award.

sav300
08-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Aye to both members.

rockrat
08-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Aye to both

kenyerian
08-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Aye, Aye

TJF1
08-16-2012, 09:21 AM
+aye,aye

slide
08-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Aye for both gentlemen!

Gar
08-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Yup, Aye & Aye

felix
08-16-2012, 09:33 AM
Must include wilgen, Will Jennings, as well! He cleans up everyone's mess, and/or intentions, to make this board physically run mo'betta'. ... felix

smoked turkey
08-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Two deserving individuals. Very well said Recluse. Aye & Aye!

Carolina Cast Bullets
08-16-2012, 09:49 AM
I second the motion and vote for both, if I have a vote, if I dont, I'll vote anyway. Wanna see my ID?????

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

crabo
08-16-2012, 10:03 AM
It makes sense to me also. I can remember when Gear first showed up, and Recluse's description has it pegged. Knowledgeable people, experiences, and posts.

45nut
08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
There are a lot of parts needed for a machine to run smoothly, or a community and these two gentlemen made contributions to this community that made it run smoothly.
When the tally of their efforts to the combined goal of this community, to make the cast boolit a viable and easy to acquire skill set was made clear to me that both of these earned the honors.
I thank them both for the dedication to "pouring your own".

08-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Yep, an excellent idea.

blackthorn
08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Aye and Aye

AggieEE
08-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Aye and Aye for me also. I enjoy reading Gear's posts. AggieEE

Balduran
08-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Aye to both

theperfessor
08-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Can't argue with anything that's been said about either gentlemen.

Aye and aye!

smokey496
08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I agree Aye.

429421Cowboy
08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
There isn'ta man here who can deny Ranchdog's dedication to this addiction, or the quality of his work. I vote aye and stand behind that choice.

Gear has been extremely helpful and humble to me, which I didn't expect when I first joined as a 17 year old kid, but age or experence have never mattered, he helps guide all. Keep up the R&D and keep posting pictures Gear, we all learn from what you share.
Both men deserve this award as much as any!

Bad Water Bill
08-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Well don no about tha yung kid that sez he b an xelent mekanik but haz a name like hiz He gota b a good guy.

That older kid whatz missn most uv hizn hair lookz like he ben there so az

SARGENT AT ARMS, COBIA
Cranky Ol' Bahstuds International Association

I sez its about time fer them youngns so KEN GIT ER DUN:bigsmyl2

And congratulations to two GENTLEMEN who have contributed so much to our world.[smilie=w:

TAMU74
08-16-2012, 03:47 PM
From a newbie to the forum who has received personalized help from Ranchdog, (with whom I have not had any financial dealing), that went so far beyond what was expected or deserved, I can only say that I have never agreed with any idea more.

AnthonyB
08-16-2012, 07:14 PM
There is something weird going on with this thread.....

Bad Water Bill
08-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I would GUESS a moderator is cleaning out someones garbage they had posted here but has vanished. Good job Moderator.

Stay tuned for further posts.

Trey45
08-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Correct Bill, garbage does NOT belong in this thread........

Bad Water Bill
08-16-2012, 07:45 PM
JIM told me that you should get a LARGE GLASS of my CROWN ROYAL LIMITED EDITION SERIAL # KAL--- as a reward for a job well done bUt it just ran all over the keyboard instead.:drinks:

OneSkinnyMass
08-16-2012, 07:46 PM
I agree and vote for both gentlemen.

Skinny

Trey45
08-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Bill, I'll join you with a Bushmills instead!

**oneshot**
08-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Aye! Aye!

geargnasher
08-16-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm speechless, gentlemen. This site has more than a few "giants" upon whose shoulders I've stood and the view is fantastic. I'd like to extend my own congratulations and well wishes to Michael.

Ian

Ranch Dog
08-16-2012, 10:15 PM
Well said Ian and congratulations as well. This is quite a surprise and an honor as all I wanted to do was make a better bullet for a guy or gal that wanted to poke a lead hole through a critter, especially for the person that was new to this endeavor.

It is true, I have decided to take leave of the business to spend more time with my family and the activities that I love; casting, reloading, shooting, and hunting. I've been blessed to live a live in some great country, and I need to take advantage of it and teach my grandchildren about it (they live on the ranch).

In the meantime, I do have quite a few molds and will continue till the well goes dry. Thank each of you for your business but most of all thank you for your friendship.

bcr
08-17-2012, 12:35 AM
I have read many very interesting and helpful posts from both of these gentlemen. After you've been here a while, I guess there are certain members you settle down and pay attention whenever you come across one of their posts, and for me this is the case for both these guys.

I am sorry to hear that Ranch Dog is winding down the business. I've only been at this for about a year and a half and already I lost out on getting the BRP molds I wanted. I rushed out quick like and ordered a TLC-460-425-RF for the Foehammer and a TLC-432-265-RF for the Browning 92, the better to smite things with.

Wal'
08-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Don't let either of these Gentlemen get to far away from their keyboards, I'm a new member & caster & still working my way through all their learned & informative posts.

When & if I ever do, I'm sure to have more questions to ask, I'm a slow learner after all.

& also as a newcomer AYE, AYE.

Bill*
08-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Those Golden Boolits look real nice under their names...Congratulations to you both...Well earned!!!

Bad Water Bill
08-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Have no fear. Just because they both got a well deserved bit of recognition will not make them hesitant about helping others.

Most folks here are here to learn AND to share and it is very addictive.

Hopefully they will both be around for a looooong time.

HiVelocity
08-17-2012, 10:48 AM
I agree with all the others! You have no idea how many Cast Boolit members these two have helped in many ways.

"Two thumbs up for both!"

I read, and re-read GearNasher's posts when I stumble on my project of the day, always good accurate information.

Michael, aka "Ranch Dog"; I've been corresponding with for over 5 years. Back when he first started developing his bullet molds in "2-cavity" configuration. I remember when he put things on hold for his wife's health, and the problems he experienced on his ranch. He still had time to talk "cast bullets". Not to mention keeping up with his dad who still hunts. Outstanding people, great contributors. I have, and use, 4 of his molds routinely. I can only imagine what Michael will come up with next.

Thank You to both gentlemen,

HV:drinks:

GRid.1569
08-17-2012, 10:52 AM
If these are C.B.'s equivalent of the Oscar...

.....do you thank the cast [smilie=l:

well deserved to both.....

popper
08-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Aye, Aye, Aye and Amen from a newbie to the sport/hobby. Not just answers, but accurate, detailed answers to really unusual questions.

MikeS
08-20-2012, 06:02 AM
I couldn't agree more, both of these gentlemen more than deserve the honor!

MBTcustom
08-20-2012, 06:59 AM
congratulations to both recipients. I couldn't agree more.
Its nice to see honors given to folks who are currently at the top of their game and actively helping folks and participating. This is a wonderful site with good folks that take care of business.

no34570
08-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Congrats to Ranchdog & Geargnasher,well deserved. ;)

DLCTEX
08-22-2012, 08:43 AM
I have been enriched by both gentlemen! Aye and Aye.

Just Duke
08-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Gear is a good fella. We have chatted via phone on many occasions.
:drinks:

RBak
08-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Ever hear the story about teaching an old dog new tricks?

Well, these two fellas sure know the secret to that age old question.
Great choice, it looks good on 'em.

Russ

Dan444
08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Aye, aye!

1Shirt
08-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Yep!
1Shirt!

Dale53
08-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Well deserved, gentlemen! Well deserved!!

Dale53

adrians
08-31-2012, 09:36 PM
I have been enriched by both gentlemen! Aye and Aye.

you took the words right out of my mouth.

congrats gents,,,