PDA

View Full Version : OOPS ! talk about a ....

Digger
08-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Happened in Reno , up north of here ....
Darn sure nobody I know ......:oops:
http://www.rgj.com/article/20120814/NEWS/120814029/1459?nclick_check=1

SciFiJim
08-16-2012, 01:28 AM
A lot of jokes come to mind, but really, I am glad that the only injury was to a meaty, non vital area of the gun owner.

One muffled shot and according to the article, someone said that several (7-8) shots were fired. Some people are idiots that will exaggerate for effect.

Probably had the pistol was in his pocket with no holster and while he was adjusting it for comfort, he fingered the trigger. I don't buy the dropped on the floor and it discharged bit. It is very difficult to cause a pistol to fire without something coming in contact with the trigger. When ever I pocket carry, the pistol is in a holster designed for it and the trigger is covered.

DCM
08-16-2012, 02:44 AM
A lot of jokes come to mind, but really, I am glad that the only injury was to a meaty, non vital area of the gun owner.

One muffled shot and according to the article, someone said that several (7-8) shots were fired. Some people are idiots that will exaggerate for effect.

Probably had the pistol was in his pocket with no holster and while he was adjusting it for comfort, he fingered the trigger. I don't buy the dropped on the floor and it discharged bit. It is very difficult to cause a pistol to fire without something coming in contact with the trigger. When ever I pocket carry, the pistol is in a holster designed for it and the trigger is covered.

I agree on all points.
Some people exaggerate everything and a holster that covers the trigger is a MUST or else this type of thing happens over and over.

Kraschenbirn
08-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Several years ago, a local LEO of my acquaintance did exactly the same thing when his 'back-up' discharged as he was getting ready to go out on patrol. At that time, he habitually carried a .25 Beretta Jetfire stuck in his hip pocket and, one evening, as he was sitting in his squadcar arranging his gear, the gun went off leaving him with powder/flash burns on one cheek of his butt and a 1/4" groove ploughed across the other.

Bill

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-16-2012, 10:05 AM
a holster that covers the trigger should be used at all times , and certain guns should not be carried with one under the hammer

hopefully many can learn from this fellas mistake

we had an off duty LEO here who's gun discharged at a Milwaukee area mall this last spring when it fell from his coat pocket apparently it snagged when he tried to pull his wallet out it fell and the only damage was to the floor , his ego and his career.

but given the number of people carrying , LEO , CCL/CCWP/CHL ,open carriers and those that carry illegally things are generally quite safe , when compared to cars , or recreational vehicles.

but all should train as much as they can and continue being safe.

absolutely amazing that only 5 people in a theater of 30 heard a gun discharge in the theater , are people really that unobservant

Wayne Smith
08-16-2012, 10:16 AM
absolutely amazing that only 5 people in a theater of 30 heard a gun discharge in the theater , are people really that unobservant

That completely depends on the movie sound volume at the time. Remember that some theaters are set up for sound vibrations, feeling the sound of the movie. That would significantly interfere with hearing a muffled shot five or so rows away.