PDA

View Full Version : Moving to north east GA

Jeff.L
08-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Well I'm Retireing (ha) to north east Ga. in 2 years. Got my place, now I need to find a new place to shoot . any input would be greatly apprecated.. Close to Clayton Ga. don,t mind driving a little Thanks Jeff

para45lda
08-15-2012, 08:36 PM
They used to have a heck of a Cowboy shoot in Gainesville. Be careful though; it's still against the law to eat fried chicken with a fork.

Tom W.
08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
That's a beautiful area....

Jeff.L
08-16-2012, 02:07 PM
It is Beautiful.. Been spending my vacation there for the last 17 years
gets harder to come home every time...

bcr
08-16-2012, 02:12 PM
I went to college in Lookout Mountain, and I enjoyed the area and the culture very much. The summers can be miserable, but that probably goes for 1/2 of the U.S., and in the other 1/2 the winters can be miserable. That area has the best camping and backpacking I've ever seen.

Gray Fox
08-16-2012, 02:26 PM
There is a Forest Service range waaay up on a ridge that pretty much takes a 4x4 to get to. It's up on the right between Clayton and Dillard. I've got a long bed F250 4x2 that I'm hesitant to take up there because there is no way to turn around in most places if the "road" becomes blocked. I used to go up there with my full size Bronco, and one time it took about 8 tries with a ground guide to get that short vehicle turned around midway up the hill. Other than that, I know of no place up in that area.

One used to be able to go to the cowboy (SASS) shoots as a walk-on up at Cherokee Gun Club north of Gainesville without being a member or having to go as the guest of another member, but I don't know if that's still true. You could probably Google the SASS website to see if they have a link to the state affilliates with a name and phone number to ask.

Now that I think of it, one of the other members here who has reported often about shooting his Ruger Gunsite rifle wrote about shooting a combat rifle course at that club, too, so you might want to locate him and his threads and PM him about shooting at that club.

Hope this helps, GF.

Jeff.L
08-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Think I saw a sign and tryed to find that range at one time but , but only had my 2wd
pick up and turned around really quick...:holysheep

Curly James
08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi Jeff,

The monthly matches are open to the public, check the website for dates, times, info, etc. Cherokeegunclub.org. I am shoot coordinator for our Tactical Rifle matches and live not very far from Clayton. PM me and we'll get together next time you are up.

Jeff.L
08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Verry Cool Curly James....Will do my best to do that:Fire: