PDA

View Full Version : A very good day

Boerrancher
08-15-2012, 08:30 PM
I started my day with a trip to the range with the trade gun. Today was the first day that I have actually shot it off the sand bags. It started last night with a phone call from a buddy of mine in town. He wanted to know if I would join him and another friend of his at the range. I jumped at the chance as I was eager to show Dave my trade gun. We met at the range and it was empty so we each took a bench, and hung our targets. I also tossed out a few clay birds on the dirt mound backstop. I busted all half dozen birds off hand, and was wondering why those guys hadn't fired a shot yet. Both of them had misfires with their cap locks.

They, in good nature, made fun of my old unreliable flint lock, all the time we were getting ready to shoot. The next thing I know I had shot 6 PRBs and busted 6 clay birds and they were still fussing with their cap locks trying to get their first shots off. I ended up priming their bolsters with 4F before their guns would fire. I went back to my bench and started working on my first group. Before long I had shot a 3 shot group at 30 yards you could cover easily with a half dollar, but not quite a quarter. Once again my shooting companions were having misfires and hang fires. I shot one more time at a different target on the same paper and was just a couple inches high but dead on for windage. Yeah I could have shot more, but I called that shot before I pulled the trigger and it was went where I said it would.

I put up the trade gun for the rest of the time and visited with the fellas I was with. I got invited to a shoot in September, because they were looking for some new blood for the smooth bore shoots. I was told no one shoots a smooth bore. When I inquired as to why, they told me they were not accurate and unreliable. I thought I was going to die laughing. My response between the gulps of air was, " I got all my shooting done with out a miss or a miss fire. It would seem to me that the more modern firearms are the unreliable ones." I was promptly told that no one likes a smart ***, and what I did on the range is exactly why they want me to shoot. Now both these guys are old timers at this game, and both just had a bad day. I have never seen the fella with my buddy Dave shoot until today, but Dave is no slouch with that old Ky 50 of his, and never has problems making it shoot. I will say that it did feel good getting a compliment from both those guys about the way I was shooting with a smooth bore trade gun.

To make the day even better, while I was cleaning the old gun up back at the house, I get a call from Dirt Farmer. He is traveling through my neck of the woods and has a few minutes, so I ran into town and met him at a local eating establishment along the highway. I had spoken with him several times on the phone, but it was our first face to face. Dirt Farmer is a great fella to spend some time with and I look forward to the day I can make it to Friendship and shoot with him.

All in all a near perfect day.

Best wishes,

Joe

**oneshot**
08-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a great day to me. Love when friends talk your stuff down and then you outdo them.

docone31
08-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Yeah,
Open mouth, insert foot!
Sounds like it went smooth!

waksupi
08-15-2012, 10:32 PM
I love it when a plan comes together!

Gray Fox
08-15-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm just getting into shooting flinters myself after 15 or so years with caplocks. Lucky for me there's no one got a smooth bore flinter I could afford right now or I'd have to be talking to the Boss to try to convince her I need another smokepole in the rack. I'd love to just be able to stand and watch you shoot that fine gun. I hope the coming fall brings you lots of bushytails and grouse. GF

Boerrancher
08-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Both of the fellas I was with could not believe the lock time of my flinter, and were continuously commenting on how fast the ignition was. I explained to them that I had a lot of help over the last few weeks from the fellas here, on how to tune the lock and get everything just right. I must say that I was quite proud of the fact that I was able to take a flint lock smooth bore and completely out perform a couple of cap lock rifles on all levels.

Dave's friend Marvin by the end of the range session was insistent that I spend the last weekend in September at the rendezvous and shooting match. He told me that if I shot close to as good as I did yesterday that I would have no problems placing in top rankings. It will be interesting to see how all of the old timers receive a greenhorn with a smooth bore flinter that shoots really well. I know my reception at the local sportsman's club was not very warm a while back after I shot a few warm up rounds before a match and then when I went to shoot was told I couldn't shoot a ML at the match, and when I found a way around that was told I had to be a member to shoot in the matches. I guess after seeing me warm up, some of the members were afraid of being out shot by a fella with a Muzzleloader.

I thank all of you who have provided me with the vast amounts of information that allowed me to tune and tweek that trade gun so that it would shoot PRB's as well as it does. I was pleased to be able to spend a few hours on the firing line with out a single hang fire, let alone a misfire. Every couple of shots I would slobber all over my flint, frizzen, and pan, then wipe them dry with my shirt tail. That was the extent of my gun maintenance for the range trip.

Best wishes,

Joe

JeffinNZ
08-16-2012, 05:19 PM
I had similar comments about the lock time on my Isaac Haines many years ago at a Masters Games shoot I went to. When I got my 'kit' I tore the lock down and polished all the bearing surfaces until they were like mirrors then relieved the main spring so it did not drag on the lock plate. Also honed the toe of the frizzen so that as the frizzen rolls forward the toe no longer depressed the frizzen spring. Constant pressure not incremental. All adds up to fast ignition.

Good for you Joe.

DIRT Farmer
08-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Joe it was good meeting you. The rest of the trip went well, the whole crew got back to their respective homes safely.

The farm and oil wells got in the way of squrriel hunting today, the 32 might get to come out tomorrow.

Alan

Boerrancher
08-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Alan,

We finally got a bit of rain yesterday afternoon. I was going to go out with the 32 and slip around the edges of the corn field to see if I could pot shot a few tree rats stealing ears of corn, but it was too windy and then too wet. I may try it today. I have another month until archery deer season, and rabbit season. In the morning and evenings I can drive down the drive way and count a dozen rabbits easily. They will be easy head shots for the 32. I hope we can find a way to get together this fall, and either do a bit of hunting, or shooting. I had a great time visiting with you the other day.

Best wishes,

Joe

DIRT Farmer
08-17-2012, 09:47 PM
I got out and checked the rain gauge this morning, another 1.7 inches. I need to mow the yard and cemetery again, the third time this year.

I hope to get back, Joe and it would be good enough just sitting on a rock talking, but shooting and hunting would be better.
Alan