PDA

View Full Version : Any 1886 SRC Browning owners?

GARCIA
08-15-2012, 10:25 AM
In the process of attempting to acquire a 1886 SRC Browning and was wondering if there are any owners that would like to give me their honest opinion of the rifle.

Really like them more than the reproduction Winchesters with the tang safety.

Tom

runfiverun
08-15-2012, 01:36 PM
heavy,solid,and smooth.
made when browning had excellent qualty,and function.
i'd say mine is better than an original.
haven't shot it too much just yet,but what i have shot in it is accurate.
the shiney wood finish is a bit much for my eyes though.

1bluehorse
08-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Bought one around 1995 IIRC, 20in round barrel. Beautiful rifle, nice, nice, wood and bluing reminecent of the old Colts. I thought it would make a really nice "saddle" rifle but never could bring myself to shove it in a scabbard and tie it to my horse. Been fired probably less than 10 times. I know of a couple guys that cut the stock down and replaced the metal cresent buttplate with a nice recoil pad. Couldn't bring myself to do that either...just sits in the safe....from the few times I've shot it, it seems to be pretty accurate..

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/ruger45s/1886002.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg23/ruger45s/1886001.jpg

Marvin S
08-15-2012, 07:20 PM
+1 on post #2. That is how I would describe it. I'm just not a fan of SRC rear sights.

GARCIA
08-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Are the stocks oil finished or some type of glossy lacquer finish?

Tom

Nazgul
08-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Mine is the smoothest and best handling 45/70 I own. Very high quality.

Finish is somewhat shiny, not like epoxy.

Don

GL49
08-15-2012, 09:11 PM
I think the quality of mine is better than the new Winchesters. When I purchased mine, it came with a receiver mounted Williams peep sight, first thing I was going to do was take it off and replace it with the factory rear sight. Now, a year and a half later, the peep sight is still there and I'm thinking about converting my other lever actions to peep sights. They are sure a lot easier on old eyes.

bigbear
08-16-2012, 12:12 AM
It is smoooooth, accurate, really nice. Just a really nice rifle. Buy one ,you'll love it! I guess you could say I really like it. I tried a few reloads and they worked really well.So well made it spoils you for new levers like the Winchesters. I think the Browning replicas are treasures:drinks:

rintinglen
08-16-2012, 05:58 AM
That metal butt plate is not my friend. I sold mine, albeit with some regrets, and bought a Marlin Cowboy. I put a recoil pad on it.

GARCIA
08-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Had a chance at a 1895 Marlin CB but the owner backed out of the deal. Had cash in hand to completed the deal. He ended putting a recoil pad on his and it turned his outlook on it.

Their is just something about the style of the old/modern replica 86 that stirs me.

Tom

bigbear
08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
That metal butt plate is not my friend. I sold mine, albeit with some regrets, and bought a Marlin Cowboy. I put a recoil pad on it.

Shooting full power 400 gr loads out of this little carbine will get your shoulder and your lever hand's attention. So I save the full power loads for when the carbine is with me in big bear country, otherwise I load it down considerably and it's not bad at all. I prefer my Winchester 71 for plinking with serious slugs , but those 405 gr cast slugs really are a comfort in the tent by the sleeping bag in grizzly country!

GARCIA
08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
My oldest son bought a Marlin Guide gun and we have ran some loads through it. Have not found it to bad too shoot.

The picture in my avatar is of a reproduction 86 Winchester/Miroku. The stock wood was butt ugly and I hated the crescent plate. Had the gun restocked with the shotgun style butt and a pad. Made a world of differance.

IIRC the SRC had the special order option of a shotgun style butt. Might have to change it out if it is too painful!!!

I am running 400grainers at 1700+ and 350 grainers at 1900+ out of my rifle and have not encountered any severe punishment. I will admit it tells you you are firing something with a bit of authority!!!!!:)

Tom

Cimarron Red
08-16-2012, 05:57 PM
I've owned a Browning 1886 SRC since 1999, and I love the gun. As others have said, it's smooth, stout, accurate and a great gun. Mine weighs 8lbs, 1.2 oz., and I've shot it quite a bit, but only with light and moderate cast bullet loads. No thumpers for me, thanks very much. I replaced the black blade front sight with one I made from a piece of nickel silver which really shows up well. I also removed the carbine rear sight and mounted a Marbles tang sight, one designed for the tang safety models that has a short base and I got away with using only the tang screw to mount it. No problems so far.

1bluehorse
08-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Some of the remarks about the rear sights have me curious...where the front sight is a small "flat top blade" style on mine, the rear is a flip up ladder sight. When in the "down" position it has a small V notch thats good at about 100 yds. I like em'.

Marvin S
08-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Years ago marbles and lyman made a SRC front sight with a bead on it. I sure wish one of them would make a re-run of them.

KirkD
08-17-2012, 09:47 PM
I had one on order as soon as I saw them in the Browning catalogue. It is a first class, excellent quality 86 carbine. Fit and finish are excellent. Here's a photo of mine ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/3855Win/86-SRC.jpg

GARCIA
08-18-2012, 05:35 AM
Guys those are some good looking rifles.
I did make the purchase and will post pictures of them probaly the
week after next when it comes in.

Tom

barkerwc4362
08-18-2012, 07:15 AM
I don't own a carbine, but I do own one of the rifles. Mine is a first year production gun that I bought for $524.95 plus tax. I have never regretted it! Mine is restocked with a Winchester steel shotgun butt plate and an original Winchester checkering pattern. I have a Lyman tang sight fitted. I normally shoot the "Keith" load through mine. Paper patched Lyman 457122 over a stout charge of 4895. Gets about 1700 fps and shoots very small groups at 100 yards. 10 shots cuts the center out of the 10-ring of an SR-1. I imagine the Browning made carbines are as well made. It has a very short throat, but that has never been a problem with cast bullets.

Bill

Marvin S
08-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Another picture. One of these days Ill take the time to learn how to post bigger and better ones like you other guys.:mrgreen:

Sgt Red Leg
08-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Bill, I am interested in your restocked rifle. I have a second Miroku/Browning rifle on its way and need to restock it for my Daughter. The 1874 Shilo Sharps Montana Rough Rider in .45-70 has a shotgun butt stock and she handles it very well. Was your stock a90% fit or custom fit!! Thanks for any info!

Sgt Red Leg
08-18-2012, 02:57 PM
OH! I forgot ~ ~ ~ we have been shooting 400/405 gr boolits over 30 grs. of 5744 with EXCELLANT results. We shoot the same load in both rifles between 100 and 400 yards. The 1886 we only go out to 300 yards as it has post semi buck horn sights. The Sharps has a Montana Vintage Arms mid-range sight.

GARCIA
08-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Well guys it is confirmed.
I have two of them enroute to my local FFL holder.
Going to be here sometime Thursday.
Will post some pictures under a new thread.
Done casted up a bunch of boolits already, now I just need to load them up!!!!

Tom

Sgt Red Leg
08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Tom, well that explains why "Bill" did not answer my stock question....because he did not know what I was talking about! My question in response #20 to your response #12 was intended to go to you. My second 1886 rifle should be at my gun enabler now. I do need to restock it to a shotgun style butt for my Daughter. Any help much appreciated. Will post this on you post today also.

Just Duke
11-03-2012, 05:37 AM
In the process of attempting to acquire a 1886 SRC Browning and was wondering if there are any owners that would like to give me their honest opinion of the rifle.

Really like them more than the reproduction Winchesters with the tang safety.

Tom

I like the one I have but it's a full length octagonal barrel and no saddle ring. It's still new in the box.

veeman
11-03-2012, 09:22 AM
This is "Brutus". It's the only gun I've got named.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/veeman2/guns/3-18-11007.jpg?t=1341503177

GARCIA
11-04-2012, 06:00 AM
This is "Brutus". It's the only gun I've got named.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/veeman2/guns/3-18-11007.jpg?t=1341503177

That's a good looking shooter you got there.
Any favorite CB loads for it?

Tom

veeman
11-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Not really, been shooting jacketed bullets mostly. Recently got some 350 and 405 flatnose from lasercast and will start some development when time allows. I don't cast, never had much interest in it, nor the time unfortunately.

Just Duke
11-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Not really, been shooting jacketed bullets mostly. I don't cast, never had much interest in it, nor the time unfortunately.

:groner:

Just Duke
11-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Btt ,,,,

Ragnarok
12-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Here are Cabela's pics of the SRC I just bought...and hope to have in hand tomorrow afternoon(if Cabela's and Fedex are doing their job)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning-Model-1886-45-70-Gov/1550123.uts?Ntk=GunLibrary&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26Ntk%3DGunLibrary%26Ntt%3DBrow ning%2B1886%26x%3D14%26y%3D8&Ntt=Browning+1886

Hope the link works!

Oh!....Seems to be a lot of these floating around for sale...often new or near-new with box. I thought that odd for a supposed limited production Browning that's been out of production for a decade or two.

Just how many saddle-ring carbines did Browning pump out??

KirkD
12-09-2012, 09:17 PM
That is a nice one! I have a copy of the original Browning catalogue that announced it. When I get home I'll try to remember to check it. If I recall correctly, the total production was to be 5,000. That's not very many, but I think a lot of fellow just bought them for a collection so there is still a lot of nice ones around.

TXGunNut
12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
I recall looking longingly at them when they came out and a few times since then. So far I've been able to avoid adding one to my stable but so far have resisted.........so far......you guys aren't helping!

Ragnarok
12-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm an idiot...while my 'new' .45-70 SRC will likely be here today...my receiving FFL dealer is closed on Monday...and I have to wait for a freight delivery at my company on Tuesday(arriving at whatever time Tuesday)....so I'm screwed for picking up my Browning until Tuesday afternoon/Wednesday!

I'm not for sure I can wait that long....

KirkD
12-10-2012, 01:19 PM
I stand corrected ... just took a look at the original Browning catalogue that announced the 'Limited Edition Model 86 Carbine'. There were two grades, 'Limited Edition Grade I' and 'Limited Edition High Grade'. They stated that 7,000 of the Grade I would be made and 3,000 of the High Grade. When I saw that catalogue, I put my order in for a Grade I and practically wore out the catalogue over the many months that followed while I awaited its arrival. When it finally arrived, the store called and told me it was in, but if I had changed my mind, they had a waiting list. I went down to the store, took one look at the gorgeous beauty and paid the balance and left with the carbine. I still have it.

Ragnarok
12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Seven thousand grade I M1886 SRC...doesn't sound like a lot of guns.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Browning-Model-1886-45-70-Gov/1550123.uts?Ntk=GunLibrary&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26Ntk%3DGunLibrary%26Ntt%3DBrow ning%2B1886%26x%3D14%26y%3D8&Ntt=Browning+1886

I notice Cabela's has gotten around to marking mine 'sold' finally...it should be at my dealer and I hope to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Ragnarok
12-12-2012, 03:18 AM
I got mine late this afternoon. These are nicely made/smooth working guns!

I'm not a good picture puter-upper..but I'll have to get pics up of this baby!

smokeywolf
12-12-2012, 04:34 AM
The only thing that keeps me from having an envy attack is my pre WW I Winchester.
I've never heard a critical word about a Browning '86. They're beautiful, strong, great fit & finish. If I owned one it wouldn't be leaving my possession until I was pushin' up daisies.
Never had an issue with recoil. A gas checked 395 or 405 on top of a fair amount of IMR 3031 (4198 or 5744 also good), good crimp, tuck it in tight and let her rip. Old eyes need a tang or receiver sight; favor the tang sights so as not to put holes in the receiver. Someday I'll find one for mine.

If I had the dough to acquire a Browning, I'd be wishin' I had enough to acquire two.

smokeywolf

GARCIA
12-12-2012, 05:54 AM
The only thing that keeps me from having an envy attack is my pre WW I Winny.
I've never heard a critical word about a Browning '86. They're beautiful, strong, great fit & finish. If I owned one it wouldn't be leaving my possession until I was pushin' up daisies.
Never had an issue with recoil. A gas checked 395 or 405 on top of a fair amount of IMR 3031 (4198 or 5744 also good), good crimp, tuck it in tight and let her rip. Old eyes need a tang or receiver sight; favor the tang sights so as not to put holes in the receiver. Someday I'll find one for mine.

If I had the dough to acquire a Browning, I'd be wishin' I had enough to acquire two.

smokeywolf

Dang it man that rifle has some good looking wood!
Got to love them old Winchesters!!
I am always on the hunt for them and may some day get another original, but for know it's the reproductions.

Ragnarok: Check the throating on your recently acquired Browning. Both of the ones that I have are extremly short throated. Never had the chance to feed it cast bullets until I had it sent to Clements Custom to be correctly throated. It also had a action job. That rascal is seriously slick now!!

Tom

KirkD
12-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Smokeywolf, that is gorgeous '86. Regarding the 86 Browning SRC throat, it will chamber the Hornady 350 grain round nose but not the flat nose. The flat nose has a blunter olgive and the shoulders of the bullet hit the lands. I called Browning about this way back but they said they had rifled the barrels to match the originals. Maybe, I don't know. Nevertheless, I've never had a problem chambering any cast bullet. All the ones I have tried have a shape that does not interfere with the rifling.

Ragnarok
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeh...that is a very pretty Winchester! But you know?...The old original guns are always cool..whether they are still beautiful or not.

I'm so thrilled with my Browning 1886 SRC...that I stole the leather shoelaces from my dress/church shoes last night...just so I could get a appropriate length of leather thong on my saddle-ring and keep it from banging up the receiver.

I now own the very best 'Red Ryder' carbine ever!!...Cannot wait to shoot it

smokeywolf
12-13-2012, 01:43 PM
That particular '86 is a refinish. A trained eye could probably pick it up. All stamping is still crisp and no rounded or soft corners. My father did the refinish on it. Used walnut burl stock blanks that he got from somewhere in the east. I think I remember him saying that they were aged 20 years when he bought them. For a while he was doing a fair amount of stock work and would order 3 sets at a time and usually let them sit in the shop for a couple more years before working them. He did his own color case hardening but sent most bluing jobs out. No checkering on that one, but I watched him checker and occasionally carve other stocks and he was truly amazing. Can't seem to find his checkering tools, but I do still have his carving and inletting tools.

smokeywolf

KirkD
12-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Your father was an outstanding gunsmith. Good thing you have that rifle as a family keepsake.

GARCIA
12-14-2012, 05:58 AM
Proud rememberance of your father I bet and a great thing to hand down in the family.
I have my Great Grandfathers 86 Winchester in 45-90 and it will go to the oldest son when I am gone.
It still has a lot of field time left in it and a few more animals to take.

Tom

Just Duke
12-24-2012, 09:15 PM
My wife's looking for one if anybody know someone that has one for sale.

Just Duke
12-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Barbie was wondering if this would fit her frame? I know the full length octagon barreled one I have are to much for her to lift.
Any you guy have your ladies shoot the SRC?

veeman
12-26-2012, 11:57 AM
My wife has shot mine a couple times, she is 5'4. Size wise the length of pull was ok but weight was more than she cared for. And she doesn't much care for recoil, of any kind. she likes the 9422 much better. :) I just got mine back from the smith, had the stock cut down to shotgun style and a long pad added. Length of pull is much much better, more comfy.

Just Duke
12-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Well guys it is confirmed.
I have two of them enroute to my local FFL holder.
Going to be here sometime Thursday.
Will post some pictures under a new thread.
Done casted up a bunch of boolits already, now I just need to load them up!!!!

Tom

Did you get them? Can you post a link to the thread?

JFE
12-27-2012, 11:35 PM
I had one when they first came out in the early 90's. The things I didn't like about it were the carbine stock design (too punishing with heavy loads), the pin that held the barrel band on the forearm would bend under recoil and the short throat. I'm also not a fan of the saddle ring.

The buttstock is interchangeable with the Winchester 1886 EL's. For regular use with heavy loads the way the magazine is attached could be improved. They are nicely finished and well made and there's nothing wrong that a little customising cant fix.

GARCIA
12-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Did you get them? Can you post a link to the thread?

Think this is the one:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?167839-Gonna-restock-my-1886-Brownings

I am now looking for the short rifle!!

Tom