PDA

View Full Version : Empty melting pot storage.

The Kaiser
08-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Other than the obvious of leaving it full of lead, are there other ways of leaving a pot empty till I decide what my next load of lead will be? Thanks, Gary

mistermog
08-14-2012, 05:53 PM
I've got a friend with some of the older Lee pots that look completely rusted to shhhht. He said either leave it full of lead, so thats what I do. I'd be interested in hearing if you can leave them empty too.

i do spray the outside of mine down after it cools a bit with oil, though not sure thats really needed. (rem oil actually) I wonder if you could use that in the pot as rust prevention.

Bill*
08-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Unless you want to do a clean out each time you use it, I'd just leave it full

dragonrider
08-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Be sure you top it off before you pull the plug after a casting session.

LUCKYDAWG13
08-14-2012, 08:24 PM
i keep my pot full

imashooter2
08-14-2012, 08:57 PM
If you want to store it empty, bring it indoors, throw a couple of desiccant packets or VCI chips in the bowl, bag it tightly in plastic and set it on a shelf.

Pb Burner
08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm wondering the same as the op. I've got a new pot and a few molds for different guns and am going to be experimenting some at first and trying different alloy mixes. If I want to try a little different alloy mix for the next batch of boolits and the pot is already full of the last mix......how does one go about that?
I had planned on empting the pot into an ingot mold, markng the ingot(s) for later use, cooling then oiling the pot. Will this method lead (no pun intended) to problems?
What would be the best method of protecting the pot if changing alloys for each casting session?
Burner

imashooter2
08-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm wondering the same as the op. I've got a new pot and a few molds for different guns and am going to be experimenting some at first and trying different alloy mixes. If I want to try a little different alloy mix for the next batch of boolits and the pot is already full of the last mix......how does one go about that?

One melts the lead in the pot and empties it out into suitable ingot molds.

I had planned on empting the pot into an ingot mold, markng the ingot(s) for later use, cooling then oiling the pot. Will this method lead (no pun intended) to problems?

The oil will burn, smoke and stink when you next heat the pot. It may contaminate the valve as it burns off.

What would be the best method of protecting the pot if changing alloys for each casting session?

Hermetically sealed in a dry nitrogen environment between uses. VCI paper / desiccant and plastic bags might be easier though... :kidding:

H.Callahan
08-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Burner
I would just change the order of operations. Leave the lead in the pot and store it full. Then when ready to cast, heat up the pot, drain it into ingot molds THEN load up the new alloy.

BTW, I left a Lee 10 pound full of alloy for 35 years at my parents' house when I moved out. There was a slight amount of rust at the very top of the pot, where the lead didn't quite cover and on some of the screw heads. I plugged it in. It heated right up and I cast a bunch of bullets out of that old lead. Worked perfectly and the part of the pot that was covered by the lead looked new, so leaving the lead in the pot works as a rust preventative.

MikeS
08-15-2012, 06:39 AM
I leave my pot full. When I'm casting I'll let the level in the pot get down to maybe 1/2 full or so, and when I'm ready to quit I turn off the pot, then fill it with ingots so they cool off the pot enough that the lead that was in the pot solidifies. By doing this I can walk away from the pot and not have to worry about it deciding to let the contents drip out of the valve.