PDA

View Full Version : Young folks don't know who Howdy Doody and....

WILCO
08-13-2012, 01:26 PM
John Moses Browning are! Makes me sick.

condorjohn
08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
When I was 6 years old I was on The Howdy Show. Yup, right there in the Peanut Gallery...
It was live TV in Chicago...

dk17hmr
08-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Howdy Doody ?

montana_charlie
08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Young folks don't know who Howdy Doody and....John Moses Browning are! Makes me sick.
But, they should know how to Google them ... no?

CM

btroj
08-13-2012, 10:00 PM
John Browning is a significant individual in my opinion, Howdy Doody, not so much.

I also know many people both 20 years linger and older who don't know some of the people who made a significant impact on my high school and college years. So what?

All this shows is that kids today are younger than us. What a news flash! And these same kids complain that we aren't tech savvy or computer literate.

Ever think our grand parents felt the same way? Bet they did.

We age, things change. Big deal. Life goes on. Get over it.

geargnasher
08-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Everyone should know who were "The Three Johns".

Gear

montana_charlie
08-13-2012, 10:49 PM
John the Baptist, John Phillips Souza, and John Wayne?

btroj
08-13-2012, 10:59 PM
No clue Gear, I must be dumber than I thought.

429421Cowboy
08-14-2012, 02:08 AM
John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere right??

I do know who both Howdy Doody and John Moses are, and i knew most of his signifigant designs by the time a was 12, my grandfather has always respected him and taught us kids about him.
However you might be madder to find out that quite a few my age also don't know who is running for POTUS either...

Adam10mm
08-14-2012, 02:44 AM
Howdy Doody...no clue. Guessing some TV show?

JMB...of course.

Stephen Cohen
08-14-2012, 03:40 AM
Im an Australian and even I know who they are.

Sasquatch-1
08-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Similar case, I was at a mall about 20 or more years ago, in the DC Beltway area. Got to talking to one of the clerks and the subject of Phylis Diller came up. There was another clerk listening to the conversation and asked "Who's Phylis Diller?" This was when she was still alive and kicking so I may be a little short on the time period.

As Bob Hope said The rumors of my death in congress are greatly exagerated!

geargnasher
08-14-2012, 08:09 PM
No clue Gear, I must be dumber than I thought.

Browning, Garand, and Thompson. ;)

Gear

1Shirt
08-14-2012, 08:42 PM
If they don't know Howdy Doody, then they sure don't know Sid Cesar, probably don't know Hoppalong Casidy, Randolph Scott, and who the original Clarabell was!
1Shirt!:[smilie=w:

docone31
08-14-2012, 08:51 PM
I worked for Buffalo Bob back in the '70s.
One thing I remember, he didn't care who you were. He was straight up, if you were honest he gave you a break. Kinda grouchy, opinionated, and paid on time.
If they do not know who Howdy Doody was, they will have no clue on Buffalo Bob.
He did look like his press photo with Howdy Doody.

RayinNH
08-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Everyone should know who were "The Three Johns".

Gear

I thought you meant The Three Stooges :kidding:.

MT Gianni
08-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Jonathon Browning. John M Browning and John R Cash.

Sasquatch-1
08-15-2012, 06:50 AM
If they don't know Howdy Doody, then they sure don't know Sid Cesar, probably don't know Hoppalong Casidy, Randolph Scott, and who the original Clarabell was!
1Shirt!:[smilie=w:

Bob Keeshan aka Captain Kangaroo

ErikO
08-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Here's a name from Chicago: Ray Raynor.

KCSO
08-16-2012, 04:30 PM
I was riding in the car with my son then age 8 and listening to public radio when the William Tell cameon. I said ow son most folks think that is the Lone Ranger theme song but it's... Dad who's the lone ranger? I sure felt OLD.

Ickisrulz
08-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Similar case, I was at a mall about 20 or more years ago, in the DC Beltway area. Got to talking to one of the clerks and the subject of Phylis Diller came up. There was another clerk listening to the conversation and asked "Who's Phylis Diller?" This was when she was still alive and kicking so I may be a little short on the time period.

As Bob Hope said The rumors of my death in congress are greatly exagerated!

Yes, Phyllis Diller is in fact still alive... probably doesn't do a whole lot of kicking.

Hardcast416taylor
08-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Try asking who Jerry Cologna was or what did he do or who he toured with and when?Robert

gofastman
08-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Old folks dont know who Siri is, makes me sick! :mrgreen:

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Howdy Doody went off the air in 1960 52 years ago

so it's not that young people don't know who howdy doody is it is that people in their 30's ,40s and early 50s didn't see it either

on average a new generation every 25 years

when your 2 generations away from anything it isn't likely to be remembered much

I happen to have seen some bits and clips of it and my dad talking about it but have never seen a full episode
my dad would have been one of the last kids the right age to have seen it on the air , and he is counting the months to retirement.

WILCO
08-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Howdy Doody went off the air in 1960 52 years ago

so it's not that young people don't know who howdy doody is it is that people in their 30's ,40s and early 50s didn't see it either

on average a new generation every 25 years

when your 2 generations away from anything it isn't likely to be remembered much

I happen to have seen some bits and clips of it and my dad talking about it but have never seen a full episode
my dad would have been one of the last kids the right age to have seen it on the air , and he is counting the months to retirement.

The point of my original post is young folks don't know their history. Their parents aren't teaching it and the unionized teachers are re-writing it. Just makes me sick.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-18-2012, 12:57 AM
I am not sure Howdy Doody is the most important history to be teaching but , we home school the kids have worked thru first recorded history to the beginning of the fall of the roman empire and continue on

we did also cover , some revolutionary history , Wisconsin history , and civil war history some of it they just need to be older to understand

we will get to more , pop culture and how it changed thru the generations i am not so sure about.

Sasquatch-1
08-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Just think, Another 50 years and the kids here will go out and say something about Janet Jackson, Madonna or The Beiber and the kids of the future will say "Who?"

dagger dog
08-18-2012, 02:04 PM
What ever happened to Princess Winterspringsummerfall and Mr. Bluster, I remember when he ran for president, but I "voted" for Ike !

slim1836
08-18-2012, 02:21 PM
A couple of years ago, my son at the age of 15 then said to me: "Why did'nt you tell me George Foreman was a boxer?" He thought he just sold grills.

Slim

3006guns
08-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Again........I go back to my episode explaining to my 10 year old stepson how this particular rifle (a Krag) played a role in the Spanish-American War. His response?

"We fought a war with Spain???!!!"

He's now 34 years old and one of the most political savvy people I know. See? Sparking an historical interest can have positive effects!

Okay.....for all you old duffers out there (that includes me).....Roy Rogers had Dale Evans, his horse Trigger, his dog Bullet, and a side kick named Pat. Pat drove a jeep.

What was the jeep's name?

Freightman
08-18-2012, 02:43 PM
All fame is fleeting, if you think you are some one or important try this. Get a five gallon bucket fill it full of water, stick your hand and arm in, now pull it out. See the hole you left? that is how important all of us are and how long you will be remembered.

Poygan
08-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Nelly Belle???

popper
08-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Princess Winterspringsummerfall - a real doll. Pancho's horses name was? I remember Andy and Gabby, not Pat. Look into their background, it's really interesting. Big diff from modern 'pop' culture. This is an 'old age' Alzheimer test, right?

3006guns
08-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Nelly Belle???

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Geraldo
08-18-2012, 06:33 PM
The point of my original post is young folks don't know their history. Their parents aren't teaching it and the unionized teachers are re-writing it. Just makes me sick.

Seriously? A weird looking puppet/TV show that bit the dust six years before my middle-aged self was born is somehow important to history?

As for pop culture, can you identify theirs that is all around you? Or have you turned into your parents who thought your 1950s culture was the end of the world as we know it?

WILCO
08-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Seriously?

If you don't see it, then you don't see it. Good luck with the brave new world ignorance has thrust upon us. [smilie=s:

condorjohn
08-18-2012, 09:13 PM
It was actually Summerfallwinterspring. Who's Janet Jackson?

dagger dog
08-18-2012, 09:42 PM
"From out of the blue of a western sky comes" ___ ____ ?
Brought to you by The National Biscut Company or NABISCO.

Did you drink your OVALTINE this morning ?

Who was that masked man ?( it wasn't Janet Jackson) I don't know his name but he left this (a silver BOOLIT ).

Ok some of us old farts used to LISTEN to The Lone Ranger on Sat.mornings on AM radio.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Just think, Another 50 years and the kids here will go out and say something about Janet Jackson, Madonna or The Beiber and the kids of the future will say "Who?"

exactly , think of all the old time family bands, quartets , traveling bands , the gospel singers that were music 100 years ago , most would be hard pressed to name a few from 1911-1912

Sasquatch-1
08-19-2012, 08:05 AM
I wish you young snots here would let us old farts have our fun bashing your generation. You will get your chance soon enough. It comes faster then you care to admit.

:kidding:

Geraldo
08-19-2012, 08:42 AM
If you don't see it, then you don't see it. Good luck with the brave new world ignorance has thrust upon us. [smilie=s:

Watch Jimmy Cagney as George M. Cohan in Yankee Doodle Dandy (released in 1942). There's a scene near the end when a carload of young people stop in front of his house and have never heard of him or his songs.

Your complaint about youth is not new, and even though you may have forgotten, you and your generation were once the subject of such complaints by your parents and grand-parents generations. Of course their generation was called "une génération perdue" by the one before them.

midnight
08-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Don't forget Straight Arrow. I've still got a big stack of "Inginuities"sp from the Shredded Wheat boxes. Thanks for the Summerfallwinterspring correction. I'd like to see a picture of her. Hope it's as good as I remember.

Bob

AggieEE
08-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Howdy Doody was a little before my time, not by much, and I don't know if they carried him in San Antonio. I do remember watching Captain Kangroo before going to school. I had to leave before the show ended. I seem to remember seeing Bill Cosby on the show. This was way before "I Spy". I saw him on TV some time later and the act tripped a memory. Can anybody here tell me was I right or crazy? Thanks Guys. AggieEE

Roundnoser
08-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Its all relative! Howdy Doody was before my time, although I have watched a couple of the shows. I'm in my 40's, and there are lots of kids these days that are calling the big hair rock bands like KISS, Boston, Journey, etc. "oldies"! That makes ME feel old.

As for the gun-makers, I'd have to add Eugene Stoner to the mix. Maybe not as notable as Browning or Thompson, but still a major contributor to modern firearm design. I guess we should include Colt, Smith and Wesson also.

HORNET
08-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Some things never change..
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
Socrates, Greek Philosopher, 470-399 B.C.E

Sasquatch-1
08-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Don't forget Straight Arrow. I've still got a big stack of "Inginuities"sp from the Shredded Wheat boxes. Thanks for the Summerfallwinterspring correction. I'd like to see a picture of her. Hope it's as good as I remember.

Bob

I did a google search for images and one picture of her came up, There was also pictures of Clarabell, Buffalo Bob w/Howdy, Bob Keeshen as Capt. Kangaroo. Didn't look through everything so there may have been more.

Anybody from the D. C. area remember Pick Temple or Capt. Tug?

Sasquatch-1
08-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Some things never change..
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”
Socrates, Greek Philosopher, 470-399 B.C.E

I guess all you have to do is replace Chatter with Text.

GRid.1569
08-20-2012, 02:26 PM
... never did get Mr Ed's last name.... :holysheep

he always had a long face though.....:popcorn:

Sasquatch-1
08-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Seeing as we were just talking about her in this thread, Phyllis Diller died this morning (Monday) at age 95.

Gator 45/70
08-20-2012, 07:16 PM
The only one that i knew was Lash Larue,His watermelon patch was pretty nice but, Vicki his daughter was a real sweetheart...

Blacksmith
08-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Sasquatch-1
I have Pick Temples autograph. So if you are from DC back then you'll remember Sam and Friends which is where Jim Henson got started.

How about Mork and Mindy.

Slowpoke
08-21-2012, 01:10 AM
I am in my mid 50's, no Howdy Doody memories .

You guys must be older than dirt :)

Captain Kangaroo before school

The Uncle Bob show after school, Ch 9 KGUN Tucson

The Mormon gun wizard ranks pretty high with me.

Good luck

Ramar
08-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Bob Keeshen as Capt. Kangaroo was a decorated war hero; I believe? Correct me please if I'm in error again.

Ramar

Sasquatch-1
08-21-2012, 07:29 AM
Sasquatch-1
I have Pick Temples autograph. So if you are from DC back then you'll remember Sam and Friends which is where Jim Henson got started.

How about Mork and Mindy.

Never saw Sam & Friends, Don't know why. Jim Henson did Attend the same High School as I did, but that was before my time At Northwestern. Didn't Henson do something on WRC radio with the Joy Boys for a while?

I actually was on the Pick Temple show once (unfortunately, they had a substitue host) and Watch Capt. Tug in the afternoon religously. Had to get my Popeye fix.

popper
08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
You guys must be older than dirt Yup, and enjoying every minute of it! It wasn't just the characters, but TV. And the moral character of them. My GCs want to watch DVD of the Lone Ranger when they come to visit. Dad's generation went from horse and buggy to real space exploration. Cars, radio, TV, microwave, computers, man on the moon ... I missed out on the horses, and got OBummer instead. That may be all the next generation gets.

Sasquatch-1
08-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Yup, and enjoying every minute of it! It wasn't just the characters, but TV. And the moral character of them. My GCs want to watch DVD of the Lone Ranger when they come to visit. Dad's generation went from horse and buggy to real space exploration. Cars, radio, TV, microwave, computers, man on the moon ... I missed out on the horses, and got OBummer instead. That may be all the next generation gets.

Growing up in the D. C. Area I missed the horse and buggy thing, although I vaguely remember seeing a horsecart every once in a while. I can still remember steam locamotives being used quite a bit, although deisel were really starting to send them to the scrap yards. And you're right about TV. Heck a husband and wife couldn't even sleep in the same bed on TV. Most shows wouldn't even show anything but twin beds.

Never knew anyone that had a real ICE box, though the iceman wasn't extinct. What about the guy who pushed a cart through the neighborhood selling fruits and vegitables and chanting a little verse about his wares?

opos
08-25-2012, 08:52 AM
My Dad used to call me Howdy Doody...wonder why?

Sasquatch-1
08-25-2012, 09:04 AM
My Dad used to call me Howdy Doody...wonder why?

Sorry, Your ears didn't stick out far enough and the freckles are not promenant enough. :mrgreen:

opos
08-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Sorry, Your ears didn't stick out far enough and the freckles are not promenant enough. :mrgreen:

Maybe he called me "Opie"...it's been a very long time ago

Freightman
08-25-2012, 09:58 AM
I am old and I remember Howdy Doodie talking to the kids that actually had a TV (which wasn't many) so i spent all my time playing football, track, and baseball, wasn't allowed to play basketball( the coach said I was to physical) and wrestling. I had a deprived childhood with no TV I was a senior in high school before we got a tv and just didn't care about it anymore. I had hot cars, hunting, and girls to keep me busy.

Echo
08-25-2012, 10:24 AM
It upsets me that my 25-year-old Granddaughter didn't know who Jimmy Doolittle was...

WILCO
08-25-2012, 01:17 PM
It upsets me that my 25-year-old Granddaughter didn't know who Jimmy Doolittle was...

The kid at work didn't even know who Elliot Ness is and another fella never heard of the Reuben James or the Bismark. :holysheep :killingpc

opos
08-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Remember Buster Brown shoes? "Hi, I'm Buster Brown..I live in a shoe....this is my dog xxxxxx...look for him in there too"... What was his dog's name that also lived in the shoe?

Blacksmith
08-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Tide!!

Midnight said ____?

What did froggy pluck ______?

opos
08-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Tide!!

Midnight said ____?

What did froggy pluck ______?

Nope...."Tige"

Froggy plucked his magic twanger

Which "midnight"?...Captain Midnight or midnight the horse?

Blacksmith
08-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Midnight the cat on the Andy Devine show sponsored by Buster Brown.

dagger dog
08-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Midnight said NICE!

nvbirdman
08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Do you remember Kuklah, Fran, and Ollie? Or how about Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent?

bowfin
08-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Here's a name from Chicago: Ray Raynor.

WGN! When I used to live in Rockford, we would watch Ray Raynor. I think he mostly wore a powder blue jump suit.

The Ray Raynor show! Now that's a blast from the past!