PDA

View Full Version : Globe sights for a cabelas invest arms?

horsesoldier
08-13-2012, 02:29 AM
Would you guys happen to know where I could find a globe front sight to fit this rifle? Its a 58 caliber investarms hawken. That front bead covers up too much of the target at 100 yards!

HARRYMPOPE
08-13-2012, 05:56 AM
i used a Lyman 17aeu made for the euro dovetail(tall and used with a 57 rear) on one and recut another to use a low 3/8 cheap Jeffs Outfitters one with the barrel sight.

George

Tatume
08-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I have a Lyman 20 MJT Globe Target Front Sight with inserts, item # 3201150, in the original box and with no blemishes. I bought it for another gun and only briefly used it. If you want it, I will sell it to you for $30, shipping included. I do not know if it will fit your gun. PM me if you wish.

Look here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/511517/lyman-globe-front-target-sight-20mjt-700-height-3-8-dovetail-with-insert-set-steel-blue

to see the sight at MidwayUSA ($45 + shipping).

Omnivore
08-13-2012, 08:28 PM
What do you have for a rear sight? If it's the original open blade rear, I maintain that you'll get more benefit from going to a peep, even with the bead front. It puts the front sight and the target more in focus at the same time. It made a big difference for me on my Investarms, and I still have the front bead that annoyed me originally. Cloverleafs at 50 yards now.

horsesoldier
08-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I have a peep sight on the barrel.I have thought about going to a tang sight. Should I be shooting this at 50 yards instead of 100? My group starts off good but after awhile I am just chasing bullet holes.I even clean it every three shots and to no avail.

frontier gander
08-13-2012, 11:16 PM
truglo

waksupi
08-13-2012, 11:32 PM
If you have a bunch of fliers, you are shooting the wrong projectiles.

horsesoldier
08-14-2012, 12:04 AM
What would you recommend? I have tried prb with it and the group I got the other day was just as bad. This current minie load is a 530 grain with a thick skirt for heaver charges.This is driving me crazy! Muzzle loader season starts the the end of September. With the round ball that second shot is a bear to load.

Omnivore
08-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I really like the tang peep sight so far. No-- you should be shooting at 100 yards or so. If you have that down, the closer shots are simple. I mentioned the 50 yard groups only because I haven't got beyond that initial test yet, since installing the new sight.

Keep experimenting with loading technique and charge weights. I was ready to abandon the Lee REALs until I tried a felt wad. Suddenly they started shooting.

My PRB load for hunting (110 graqins Goex 2F and a very tight patched ball) is also a bear to load the second shot, so I give it a quick swab. It's not a deal killer. How often do you really need a second shot? I could try a cleaner powder like 777 I guess, which might make the second loading easier without swabbing.

I've used a second shot on two occasions in hunting deer. One was on a buck that had already gone down but was still alive. Mercy shot. The other was on a doe that had been shot through the liver, diaphram and one lung, but was standing still. She stood there like a rock while I swabbed the bore, reloaded and put her down with the second shot. If I'd only waited a few more seconds, she'd have gone down right there without a second hit, but I didn't know that at the time.

There are lots of other factors that go into accuracy besides the specific load.

Then there is the concept of the cold, clean bore shot. That's the one that counts in hunting. If you're shooting for group, maybe all shots should be fired from a cold, clean bore, eh? But we should also know where our fouled or semi-fouled-bore shots are going...

HARRYMPOPE
08-14-2012, 09:55 PM
If you have a bunch of fliers, you are shooting the wrong projectiles.

or the wrong granulation or patch thickness-

Today i tried to get my 1-32 .50 Lyman to shoot with FF Triple Seven with a 395g conical.The groups were over 4" at 100 yards with many "fliers" though i went up and down with powder charges.Back to FFF and groups were under 2" and more like the norm.
I also had my 1-48 54 out this AM and until i went to denim patch groups were over 4" at 50 yards with a .530 ball and .015 ticking patch and 70g of Goex FF.No changes just a thicker .020 patch and groups were under 2".

George

horsesoldier
08-14-2012, 11:15 PM
I bought a lyman globe sight, and I think it will help with me being able to see the target. Once it arrives I will do some more playing around to see what the rifle likes. I was getting pretty aggravated over not being able to see exactly where I was holding.

idahoron
08-15-2012, 08:17 PM
I bought a lyman globe sight, and I think it will help with me being able to see the target. Once it arrives I will do some more playing around to see what the rifle likes. I was getting pretty aggravated over not being able to see exactly where I was holding.

I would highly recommend that when you put on the Lyman sight you use these inserts. I like the fine bead but the crosshair is a great sight for hunting. Ron

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12372/Product/GLOBE-SIGHT-INSERTS