PDA

View Full Version : .358 Win plan. Just right or do I need more?

Adam10mm
08-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Currently I'm without a centerfire rifle. I've decided a few years ago I wanted a Remington Model 7 in .358 Winchester. This year I'm going to get going on it. Like any true handloader, I ordered a set of dies before thinking about getting the rifle.

I'll have to find a used rifle in the .308 family, then rebarrel it. Not a big deal. I've got a little Famous Maker brand 2-6x28 scope (only 6.75 in long) I planned to use on it. Something quick-ish in the brush but good for a 200y shot in the hayfield on the farm.

Boolits is where I get stuck. I cast commercially for the .358 180gr WFN-GC for the .357 Magnum. Definitely want to use that bullet and that's why I'm going .358 instead of .308.

I'm looking for a light carbine/rifle for deer and small game. I chose the .358 180 WFN because besides already having the mould, I was thinking it would be an all around boolit for my hunting firearms. Ideally I'd like the aforementioned Model 7 in .358 Winchester plus a Marlin 1984C in .357 Magnum, and a Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum.

Is my .358 180gr WFN the right choice for all three or something else? The only medium game I hunt is deer.

ammohead
08-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Unless you are absolutely married to the idea of a bolt rifle...for a lot less money you should be able to easily find a used marlin in 35 rem. Seems like there should be quite a few in gun stores in your neck of the woods. Using cast boolits there isn't a whole lot that a 358 win will do that a 35 rem won't. Of course you already bought the dies and I have bought rifles because I had the dies already myself so can't fault you for that. Just some food for thought.

Larry Gibson
08-13-2012, 12:26 AM
The 35 Rem and the 358 Win are probably the very best of cast bullet cartridges for deer. I suggest getting a 14" or 16" twist and don't skimp on barrel length. The shorter the barrel the harder you need to push a soft cast bullet for a 200 yard effective range, especially with the low BC of that bullet. I prefer the RCBS 35-200-FN in my 35 Rem, a M91 Mauser wittool.h a 26" Shilen barrel. It is a very well balanced rifle and handles easily in dense timber yet is quite capable of 200 yard shots. I push that bullet at 2150 fps cast of COWWs + 2% tin + 50% lead and HP them mildly with the 1/8" Forster tool.

The RD is certainly a capable bullet, just don't short change it with too short of a barrel if you realy want to make those 150 - 200 yard shots on deer.

Larry Gibson

Adam10mm
08-13-2012, 12:32 AM
I thought about just getting a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, but it just doesn't appeal to me like the .358 Winchester does. One benefit of the Winchester is in a brass drought, .308 is cheap and can be easily formed. With the .338-08 being standardized into the .338 Federal, stepping up is easy.

As for action type, I can work a bolt or lever about the same speed for a follow up shot. Had a Tikka M595 Whitetail Hunter SS I could work as fast as my 1895 Guide Gun .45-70. Those are the two rifles I wish I never sold. I'd like to go with a bolt this time. My lever action fix will be served with the 1894C in .357 Mag.

Adam10mm
08-13-2012, 12:56 AM
The 35 Rem and the 358 Win are probably the very best of cast bullet cartridges for deer. I suggest getting a 14" or 16" twist and don't skimp on barrel length. The shorter the barrel the harder you need to push a soft cast bullet for a 200 yard effective range, especially with the low BC of that bullet. I prefer the RCBS 35-200-FN in my 35 Rem, a M91 Mauser wittool.h a 26" Shilen barrel. It is a very well balanced rifle and handles easily in dense timber yet is quite capable of 200 yard shots. I push that bullet at 2150 fps cast of COWWs + 2% tin + 50% lead and HP them mildly with the 1/8" Forster tool.

The RD is certainly a capable bullet, just don't short change it with too short of a barrel if you realy want to make those 150 - 200 yard shots on deer.

Larry Gibson
Soft as in softer than copper? My hunting alloy is 9/6/2 foundry alloy at 15 BHN.

I was thinking of keeping the barrel true to the model at 20 inches, but using a medium contour taper instead of the factory lightweight. I mostly hunt the thick cedars that are on the farm, but if a deer is in the field, I want to kill it.

I'm terrible at judging distance on the fly but here's a few pictures from the farm illustrating the longer distances. The farm is 140 acres being 3 40 acre parcels and 2 10 acre parcels.

This is from maybe 20y out from the woods looking at the farmhouse and buildings.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd290/Tubby_45/DSCN2272.jpg

This is the end of the hay field looking back at the farmhouse. The small roof is a deer blind, not the buildings. See the next pic.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd290/Tubby_45/DSCN2299.jpg

This is a shot maybe 50y from the pond looking down the longest field. The pond is in line with the farmhouse, off to the right about 100 yards in this pic. The grey square toward the edge of the grassy horizon is the deer blind in the previous pic.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd290/Tubby_45/DSCN2293.jpg

runfiverun
08-13-2012, 01:14 AM
ruger makes the hawkeye in 358 win.
you really would have to work pretty hard on a custom rifle to beat it.
not too heavy,not too light, accurate,good trigger,comes in all weather stock- matte finish stainless,or walnut/blued.
mine dotes on the 250 gr. saeco [sized to 358]
200 yds would be a chip shot on a deer [with any kind of rest of some sort]
i use 48.5 grs of RL-19 as my everyday load.
i can go to 50 grs and hold good accuracy, but the recoil also goes up.
your 180 should work well for hunting with the flat point if things fit well and they feed from the magazine.

waksupi
08-13-2012, 02:18 AM
A heavier boolit would stretch your range quite a bit.

Adam10mm
08-13-2012, 11:00 AM
ruger makes the hawkeye in 358 win.
you really would have to work pretty hard on a custom rifle to beat it.
not too heavy,not too light, accurate,good trigger,comes in all weather stock- matte finish stainless,or walnut/blued.
mine dotes on the 250 gr. saeco [sized to 358]
200 yds would be a chip shot on a deer [with any kind of rest of some sort]
i use 48.5 grs of RL-19 as my everyday load.
i can go to 50 grs and hold good accuracy, but the recoil also goes up.
your 180 should work well for hunting with the flat point if things fit well and they feed from the magazine.
I didn't see any .358 Win. listed on Ruger's website. Did they make them at one time?

A heavier boolit would stretch your range quite a bit.
Hmm, I'll have to look at what moulds are available for the .358 rifles. You think I should be looking at a 250gr boolit like runfiverun suggests?

JDL
08-13-2012, 12:57 PM
I have no trouble getting 2060 fps with RCBS 35-200FN out of my BLR with a 20" barrel. Forty and a half grains of H-4895 is the proper fuel.

You'll not be sorry for choosing the .358 as it's so easy to load for but, as was said the .35 Remington is close.

The .358 is perhaps my favorite cast boolit cartridge for hunting but, this year I will probably be using a new to me 8x57 if I can find a good load utilizing the Karabiner or Maximum boolits.

JDL

Old Ironsights
08-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I still want a Savage 99C TD with .243, .308 & .358 barrels...

MBTcustom
08-13-2012, 02:21 PM
358 winchester is the ultimate medium range/medium game rifle in my opinion. I have built one on a 7.7 Arisaka action and killed a couple deer with it. I am pleased. I decided that it needs to be improved upon, so I am re-barreling a Sako A5 to 358Winchester. Supreme sweetness.
At the same time, another member here has the same idea for a Model 70 in the same caliber, so I will be doing both rifles at the same time.
If you think its the ultimate cast boolit rifle, you are in good company.

By the way, when you get done with the build, see if you can lay hands upon a Lyman 358-318. That is a phenomenal hunting boolit. It is not accurate at all. It has a round nose. It only has one lube groove. This is why I never used it for hunting until two years ago. I finished the rifle build just in time for opening week of modern gun season, and the 358-318 was the only boolits I had already cast up, so that's what I loaded. Well, like I said, I have killed two deer with this boolit and the results are impressive.
The thing is, that boolit comes out of the barrel like a dying duck, and barely manages a 4" group at 100 yards, however, when it hits a deer, it tumbles every time. This creates a large, oval, exit wound that is easy to track, although, I have watched both deer expire, standing where I shot them from. Put it behind the shoulder, and that deer will start his run hobbling. It is really quite amazing. I'm used to seeing the classic jump and kick when I shoot them there, but with this boolit its like it does the opposite. The deer gets hit and I see a red spray out the opposite side (no exaggeration) and it like he just buckles, and starts fighting gravity immediately. The last deers front legs just refused to work, and he ended up shoving his nose through the leaves for about 10 yards before rolling over and kicking a few times. :drinks:
After you build your rifle, PM me and I'll send you a few of these boolits to try for yourself. I guarantee you will like that caliber/boolit combination!

quilbilly
08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Any of the 358 diameter cartridges are absolutely wonderful for deer if you can achieve 1100 fps at the maximum range you intend to shoot (terminal velocity) with your 180 gr boolit of softer alloy. For black bear figure terminal velocity to be about 1500 fps. After almost 30 years of blackpowder hunting for deer and elk, I have found hype about higher velocities with big bores to be overblown when it comes to terminal performance. A slow mover in the 358 diameter makes a big hole and dumps a lot of energy on impact.

skeettx
08-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Have you thought about using a Remington 722 action, and buying the rifle in 300 Savage because it is cheaper?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=300132154

Perfect for the rebarrel to 358 Win

Mike

MBTcustom
08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Any of the 358 diameter cartridges are absolutely wonderful for deer if you can achieve 1100 fps at the maximum range you intend to shoot (terminal velocity) with your 180 gr boolit of softer alloy. For black bear figure terminal velocity to be about 1500 fps. After almost 30 years of blackpowder hunting for deer and elk, I have found hype about higher velocities with big bores to be overblown when it comes to terminal performance. A slow mover in the 358 diameter makes a big hole and dumps a lot of energy on impact.
Very true, and the 358 winchester is able to sling a 250 grain boolit 2250FPS, so downrange performance is no problem out to 175 yards for sure.

waksupi
08-13-2012, 09:08 PM
I've settled on a 265 gr. boolit designed on Mountain Molds site, that Dan cut for me. Very accurate, and I suspect this is probably around the ideal weight for the bore size. I have a point blank range of 225 yards with this, that covers all of my hunting needs.

MBTcustom
08-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Ya know Waksupi, wild yarns like that should be kept to a minimum without the accompaniment of pictures!
Speaking of which, here is the 358318:
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/IMG_0871.jpg
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/IMG_0868.jpg
and a picture of the gorgeous exit wound:
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/Photo12281234.jpg

Adam10mm
08-14-2012, 12:18 AM
I also have a 358627 mould. The .357 215gr SWC-GC with dual crimp grooves Glenn Fryxell wrote about in his article A Cast Bullet for All Seasons. Might experiment with that one too.

I'll look into some .358 moulds. Might work out that I obtain samples from a few sources to see what looks promising.

Adam10mm
08-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Have you thought about using a Remington 722 action, and buying the rifle in 300 Savage because it is cheaper?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=300132154

Perfect for the rebarrel to 358 Win

Mike
I've thought about several actions over the years and am sold on the Remington Model 7.

waksupi
08-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Tim, I had a boolit very similar to that design from Mountain Molds, and like you, found stability was not dependable once it was driven past a certain velocity, or if the barrel heated up. I did warn the buyer that it would start to wander past 100 yards. It was plenty accurate to that point, but I did see signs of tipping, which I also warned him about. I suspected either A., that it was under size for my bore, which I knew it wasn't, or B., there is not enough contact surface to keep the boolit sufficiently stabilized for longer range shooting.
By the way, the boolit of which I speak, is almost identical to yours, only with a flat meplate.

MBTcustom
08-14-2012, 06:58 AM
I've settled on a 265 gr. boolit designed on Mountain Molds site, that Dan cut for me. Very accurate, and I suspect this is probably around the ideal weight for the bore size. I have a point blank range of 225 yards with this, that covers all of my hunting needs.....the boolit of which I speak, is almost identical to yours, only with a flat meplate.
Wow, that has not been my experience at all with this one. I have put it through its paces any where from 1500 all the way to 2400FPS and it never settled down. Quite frustrating actually if you are trying to punch holes in a piece of paper, but its performance on game has redeemed its value permanently. I just wish I could sling it out to 200 with any manner of confidence that it would hit within 4" of where I was shooting.
Oh well, I will definitely keep working with it because it is my go to hunting boolit. I just tried casting up a bunch of them out of a harder alloy (3.3 Sn/4.5 Sb) which I have never tried. I figure if the boolit turns sideways, it doesn't matter how hard it is.
Have you noticed if that MM boolit will tumble? This one does every time without fail. That's why I like it. Once it hits the critter, its like I hit it with a lead boomerang.

softpoint
08-14-2012, 07:25 AM
You could get a Savage short action, or a Stevens, and get a barrel kit to make it a .358, and probably not have much more money than the Remington alone. And you could swap back to original caliber if there was a need to do so, or sell the original barrel. I have 2 Remingtons in .358, and I like them both, but if you wanted to go the least costly route,the Savage might be an option.:drinks:

Adam10mm
08-14-2012, 01:02 PM
The Savage rifles I owned in the past have made me to not ever want another. Like I said, the action is going to be the Remington Model 7.

Old Ironsights
08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
The Savage rifles I owned in the past have made me to not ever want another. Like I said, the action is going to be the Remington Model 7.

Well, if you don't like Savage, a BLR TD can do the same 3-caliber combo as well...

onceabull
08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Inasmuch as the O.P.has mentioned having the 358627 mould in hand, let me endorse a trial of that one... It's been more than goodenuff for me in 35 Remmie,358 W. and the Col's 35 ever since I had to buy them from Jon in Montana.. Only using heavier for stick timber elk in 358 W..and 35 Whelen. (358009) Onceabull

Adam10mm
08-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, if you don't like Savage, a BLR TD can do the same 3-caliber combo as well...
As I said a few times, the Remington Model 7 action is the final decision and nothing can talk me out of using that action for this project.

Adam10mm
08-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Inasmuch as the O.P.has mentioned having the 358627 mould in hand, let me endorse a trial of that one... It's been more than goodenuff for me in 35 Remmie,358 W. and the Col's 35 ever since I had to buy them from Jon in Montana.. Only using heavier for stick timber elk in 358 W..and 35 Whelen. (358009) Onceabull
Good to know. I used it in the .357 Magnum with good results.

runfiverun
08-14-2012, 07:09 PM
airc Ben had his/a 308 rebored to 358 by jrs i'd give him a p.m. and see what the specifics were.
i think it was done with a 3 groove bbl and was very accurate.
jrs might re-throat them as specified too.

Larry Gibson
08-14-2012, 07:14 PM
Judging from the photo's and ranges a 20" barrel should be sufficient. Yes, you can go heavier but I've found the 200 gr RCBS to be just fine to 200 yards. I've not found deer that hard to kill with a decent expanding cast bullet. I'm not sure the heavier bullet will extend the range any better within what you've posted. Actually I would not feel undergunned nor hesitate to use my 35 Rem anywhere in the photo"s.

Larry Gibson

waksupi
08-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Tim, I didn't find any nekkid ones here, just some all dressed up to go out. I guess I need to cast some more boolits!
You can see these have a longer bearing surface than your boolit, so the stability problem goes away.

RU shooter
08-14-2012, 07:59 PM
airc Ben had his/a 308 rebored to 358 by jrs i'd give him a p.m. and see what the specifics were.
i think it was done with a 3 groove bbl and was very accurate.
jrs might re-throat them as specified too.
Thats a good route for the economics of it problem is the Model 7 barrel is very light wt.profile already especially the older 18.5" models , bored out to .358 it would look like thin walled conduit. I dont know if theres a limit on how thin is acceptable or safe

MT Gianni
08-14-2012, 09:28 PM
The gun that you want is a BLR in 358.

Elkins45
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I didn't see any .358 Win. listed on Ruger's website.

Buds gun shop had the stainless synthetic version for $451 a couple of weeks ago. I snagged one and finally had the chance to try it out after work today. It's a shooter!

Unfortunately I checked the website with the intention of sending you a link but they are out of stock. Maybe some of the other Internet dealers still have some of them.

AnnieOakley
08-14-2012, 10:22 PM
You could get a Savage short action, or a Stevens, and get a barrel kit to make it a .358, and probably not have much more money than the Remington alone. And you could swap back to original caliber if there was a need to do so, or sell the original barrel. I have 2 Remingtons in .358, and I like them both, but if you wanted to go the least costly route,the Savage might be an option.:drinks:

My husband is wanting to build a .357 Herrett rifle starting with a .30/30 receiver. Either a Marlin 336 or a bolt action Remington or Savage. Do you know where to get a .358 barrel kit?

Adam10mm
08-15-2012, 12:22 AM
Judging from the photo's and ranges a 20" barrel should be sufficient. Yes, you can go heavier but I've found the 200 gr RCBS to be just fine to 200 yards. I've not found deer that hard to kill with a decent expanding cast bullet. I'm not sure the heavier bullet will extend the range any better within what you've posted. Actually I would not feel undergunned nor hesitate to use my 35 Rem anywhere in the photo"s.

Larry Gibson
Thanks for your feedback on my situation/hunting grounds. I'm a fan of heavy boolits but I'm also practical. If a 200gr boolit will do the job, using a 250gr boolit is just wasting a quarter of a boolit. Every four 250gr boolits is one effective 200gr boolit. :)

Thats a good route for the economics of it problem is the Model 7 barrel is very light wt.profile already especially the older 18.5" models , bored out to .358 it would look like thin walled conduit. I dont know if theres a limit on how thin is acceptable or safe
I certainly wouldn't want it bored out for just that reason. I'm looking at contours and want something a bit stiffer than the OEM contour without adding much weight. I might just have a straight blank chambered and then I can contour it myself based on feel.

The gun that you want is a BLR in 358.
I've said several times the action I'm going to use is the Remington Model 7. I've handled and shot several BLRs before and want nothing of them.

Buds gun shop had the stainless synthetic version for $451 a couple of weeks ago. I snagged one and finally had the chance to try it out after work today. It's a shooter!

Unfortunately I checked the website with the intention of sending you a link but they are out of stock. Maybe some of the other Internet dealers still have some of them.
I'll check with the distributors I use (I'm an 07 FFL). I'm thinking I might be able to find a used Model 7 for $400-ish. If I were rich, I would commission Ultra Light Arms to build me one. A 6lb fixed 4x scoped .358 Win carbine with cast boolits only is my dream gun, but getting back to reality the rebarreled Remington Model 7 fits my wallet.

nanuk
08-15-2012, 01:51 AM
I owned a Mdl7 in 6mm

sold it to my brother in a fit of insanity

I understand the pull to use one

I have tried and tried to get mine back, to rebarrel in 358Win, or larger on the 308case

softpoint
08-15-2012, 07:48 AM
My husband is wanting to build a .357 Herrett rifle starting with a .30/30 receiver. Either a Marlin 336 or a bolt action Remington or Savage. Do you know where to get a .358 barrel kit?
I don't know how well the bolt guns could be made to work with the rimmed Herrett cartridge. .358 Winchester barrels for the Savage check Shaw or Mc Gowan. The 336 action would be better for the Herrett, but a .35 Remington can be had in that rifle, which is a better rifle cartridge than the Herrett. The .357 Herrett was designed for use in handgun length barrels, for which it is great. A 336 might have feeding issues with a cartridge that much shorter than the cartridges it was designed for.
While the Herrett could be difficult to work with in the bolt actions, a 35 Remington would work fine in a bolt gun if you wanted a bit smaller cartridge than the .358. I have thought about building a .35 Remington bolt gun a number of times, but now I have two .358's I see little need in it. (Need should NEVER be a deciding factor, I know)

runfiverun
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
the marlin should feed the shorter cartridge.
my 375win 336 will feed the shorter 375 supermags just fine.
it isn't accurate with them, but feeding is a non issue.

hicard
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I have a Rem 700 rebarreled in 358 Win and a Ruger Hawkeye and love both of them. I do have more feeding problems with blunt rn boolits with the Rem 700 though. I certainly agree with your decision to go with a model 7. That would be a great carry gun.

softpoint
08-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Both my .358's are Remingtons. One is a 700, and one is a 600. The model 600 has a 21inch medium profile Shilen barrel, 1/14 twist. The barrel is slightly heavier than a factory Remington barrel, but the gun has a very lightweight Lone Wolf stock on it. It is a joy to carry. And very accurate. :Fire:

IndySteve
08-18-2012, 07:38 AM
New here but 60 this coming peak of the rut in IN.

Handloader since high school.

Mentioning a 358 (or equivalent) in a Remington rifle runs right down my alley and why I am where I am now.

For those not familiar with Indiana's oddball rifle restrictions, I cant hunt with a 358 Win because the brass is "too long".

"Minimum bore diameter of .357 and maximum case length of 1.8 inches".......but I knew the 358 would do it all and then some for Hoosier whitetail and anything Id want to hunt at my sister's in MT.....with proper bullets and ranges.

So.....being a bullheaded ol fart......I made my own.

LOTS are basing rounds off the WSM cases but that just seemed "too much work" to me and the 358 capacity is more than adequate. I had no intention of attempting lazer trajectory whiz bang......UN needed recoil and ballistics.

I came HERE for your kind assistance picking a cast boolit. Aint nothing like LEAD and a LONG time shooter of big bore black powder with heavy cast leads, my fav being the discontinued 540 grain TC maxi-hunter out of my 54.

Slow? Who cares? Try to STOP IT. lol

Sorry.....off topic.

Anyway.....Ill get my "indiana 358 equivalent" and in a 700 Rifle too, here soon. My buddy is doing the same with a 673 Rem rifle.

I post this because A........Im excited and B. Because a Model 7 in a 350 Rem mag is "up there on the list" for a second rifle. ( I never once said I was sane......and no I dont "need" two....but hey.......ONE WOULD BE COOL).

The 'smith sent me a photo of "my" round......and states its a grain over a 358 case capacity, newly formed. Perfect. Many turn up their noses at a belted round......eh, no biggie. Proper sizing Ive loaded a local's 7mm RM......a LOT without a hitch and 1x fired belted stuff (anything works to form) is CHEAP. (also up my alley. :) )

All I have now is a photo of it next to the parent round, the originally chambered cartridge my rifle WAS in that I converted as well........the 350 Rem Mag.

Ok fine, so Im limited on what I can use here.....and a bit off the wall? Dont ban me!! lol

Lots of great advice here from you guys and I appreciate it immensely.

Ive a question on tried powders Ill stick in here in a second.

My "350 JR" round. (358 equivalent..or a pinch more)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj170/Steve692/350%20JR%20Cartridge/350JR.jpg

softpoint
08-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Indy Steve,That is a cool looking little cartridge! If it were mine, it would be begging for the 245gr. Saeco bullet!

Adam10mm
08-18-2012, 09:04 AM
That's a neat little cartridge. I've seen a few guys make a .358 WSSM based on the Super Short Magnum case.

waksupi
08-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Put a flat nose cast boolit in there, and you have a whitetail winner.

Blammer
08-18-2012, 11:30 AM
I use this projectile in my 35 whelen, (sorry sort of off topic) and really like it. I think it should do dandy in the 358 too.

MBTcustom
08-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Hey Freakshow, I was in a pawn shop yesterday and I saw a rifle and thought of you. Have you seen the Remington 600 Mohawk? Same action (or very similar) to the seven, but it has that cool dog leg bolt handle.
It was almost identical to this one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=301347877
Anyway, not trying to steer you away from the Seven or anything, its a fine choice, but I held this rifle and was impressed by the handling of it, and the action reminded me of the Seven. As long as everybody else has been good enough to suggest everything except a rock and nail as a platform for your 358, I thought I would throw a suggestion out there too.

Adam10mm
08-18-2012, 10:46 PM
I've seen the 600s and it's not my thing.

This weekend at the gun show I saw a BLR in .358 Win. Handled neat. Wanted $650. Too much for me. Saw a model 7 in 7mm-08 stainless synthetic. Wanted $850 with a scope, didn't want to take them apart and didn't want to deal. Saw an older model 7 in .257 Roberts that really peaked my interest. Rifling was very worn it had been shot so much. Stock had a lot of "character". Guy wouldn't budge on the price. $500. Too much to pay for a usable bolt and receiver. The stock and barrel were trash.

The search continues...

Beerd
08-18-2012, 11:56 PM
I use this projectile in my 35 whelen, (sorry sort of off topic) and really like it. I think it should do dandy in the 358 too.

uh, which one is this one?

MBTcustom
08-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Guy wouldn't budge on the price. $500. Too much to pay for a usable bolt and receiver. The stock and barrel were trash.
Another gunshow comedian. I was looking at a late 7.7 Arisaka, no bolt, no mum, no stock. Asked the guy what he wanted for this barreled action, and he told me $165 firm. I got a good laugh out of that one.
Back on point, check your local paper. Also, believe it or else, I have gotten several good deals on gunbroker.com. Something will turn up.

Ben
08-19-2012, 09:34 AM
This is the link to my Ruger # 1 , 358 Win. that runfiverun made reference to in an earlier post, for any of you that care to see it :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=100428

Notice how the tall ( .005 " ) 3 groove rifling gets a " big bite " on my 272 gr. NEI cast bullet made by old Walt.

Not much chance of a bullet skidding in this barrel :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/PICT0006-11.jpg

eagle-eye
08-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Here's my load for the 358 Winchester.
Chrony's at 2704 fps at 10' from the muzzle.
180 grn. Hornady XTP
42 Grns. of H4198
Winchester LR Magnum Primer.
(with a non-magnum primer it delivers 2640 fps)
Rifle is a BLR Stainless 20" barrel.

MBTcustom
08-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Here's my load for the 358 Winchester.
Chrony's at 2704 fps at 10' from the muzzle.
180 grn. Hornady XTP
42 Grns. of H4198
Winchester LR Magnum Primer.
You shoot jacketed bullets in a 358 Winchester?!?!
That's.................. sacrilegious.

RugerFan
08-21-2012, 10:32 PM
I didn't see any .358 Win. listed on Ruger's website. Did they make them at one time?

I have the All-Weather version, but it appears Ruger has discontinued that chambering.

Bluehawk
08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I Own Ruger M77 IN 358 It is the most consistently acurate rifle I own NEVER loses zero from year to year. MY son owns a Browning Lever in 358 Win. His is very accurate also .
I have done a lot of reloading for both but NOT with cast bullets . I have had the idea of loading some 160 SWC in it for coyote etc but never done it . I would buy either the Ruger Hawkeye or find a Browning Lever .

yondering
09-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Freakshow, just a thought, for those longer ranges you might consider paper patching your cast bullets to push them out there a little farther. In my 35 Whelen AI, I've found the best accuracy and highest velocity, compared to any other load including jacketed bullets, using a paper patched 250gr bullet from Mountain Molds. That one will do 2850 fps (wow!) and shoot under 3/4" at 100 yards. Of course you wouldn't push them that hard in a 358 and Model 7, but the point is, you wouldn't have to give up anything in trajectory to comparable jacketed bullet loads. Don't need a special paper patch bullet either.

Artful
09-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Well I'll show the two I like for my Savage 99 358
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Misc/NEI222-358LoverinGC.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Misc/NEI220-358RNGCDC.jpg

Walt made some excellent molds.

I've pushed the 222-358GC to 2300 fps without issue and it's MOS (min of squirrel) at 175 yards.
As I remember it was 44 grains for IMR 3031 that was favored by my rifle.

Artful
09-02-2012, 11:22 AM
For those not familiar with Indiana's oddball rifle restrictions, I cant hunt with a 358 Win because the brass is "too long".

"Minimum bore diameter of .357 and maximum case length of 1.8 inches".......but I knew the 358 would do it all and then some for Hoosier whitetail and anything Id want to hunt at my sister's in MT.....with proper bullets and ranges.

So.....being a bullheaded ol fart......I made my own.
Ive a question on tried powders Ill stick in here in a second.

My "350 JR" round. (358 equivalent..or a pinch more)

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj170/Steve692/350%20JR%20Cartridge/350JR.jpg

Crazy to have people who don't know guns making laws about using guns :killingpc

And from what I'm reading I can use my T/C Contender handgun in .45-70, but can't use my Marlin 1895 in .45-70? Why?
Looks like the 450 Bushmaster was just made for this law, or was it the other way around?

Most mid-range rifle powders 748 and faster worked well for me but 3031 was one my Savage 99 358 seemed to prefer.

Adam10mm
09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Freakshow, just a thought, for those longer ranges you might consider paper patching your cast bullets to push them out there a little farther. In my 35 Whelen AI, I've found the best accuracy and highest velocity, compared to any other load including jacketed bullets, using a paper patched 250gr bullet from Mountain Molds. That one will do 2850 fps (wow!) and shoot under 3/4" at 100 yards. Of course you wouldn't push them that hard in a 358 and Model 7, but the point is, you wouldn't have to give up anything in trajectory to comparable jacketed bullet loads. Don't need a special paper patch bullet either.
Paper patching isn't something that I'm interested in doing. Speedy enough to help at misjudged distances is all I need.

lmcollins
09-08-2012, 11:07 PM
I've owned a 358 I had made with a Douglas barrel since the mid 70's. I used a Sako 579 medium action. I love the rifle. It has a 20 inch barrel. I think Douglas makes the correct twist for a 35. I've always thought a 20 inch barrel is more than adequate foor this small case, and large bore.

I've always shot old fashioned Speer jacketed round nose 250 grain bullets. Pre HoT Cores. If I were you I want at least a 200 grain bullet with a flat nose. See how your bullet feeds when you get your rifle built. Playing with seating deapth might help your feeding. I do think you have the correct idea in staying with a box magazine. I also think that staying with a bolt gun for reloading is best. I owned a BLR in 308, and it was a PIA. A box magazine is much easier to worrk with, and easier on your softer cast projectiles loading and unloading. Your current mold sounds very short to carry as far as you desire, but it's your land, and you can try it when you get your rifle put together to see how it works at your distances.

I've never owned an action such as you desire, but I did own a Remington 660 in 350 RM. I wish you luck, but would encourage you to go with anything of Remington origin that's available, in good shape, and reasonable price wise. You should have a very niece, functional rifle. Good luck.

white eagle
09-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Might as well add my 2c and the wonderful 358 win
had mine built like along the lines ofyour thinking on a compact or youth version
mine started out as a Win.Model 70 Compact 7/08 took the barrel off
and replaced it with a 1/12 Pac-Nor cut to 21"and chambered in 358 win.
I shoot boolits from Accurate in 250/265 grs I also shoot 200 gr RCBS and some 280 gr Old west
to date the rifle has dropped 3-4 deer and a 7x6 bull elk in Idaho
you will love the compact size of the model 7 and ease which you slide through the brush with
it.....good luck on the build

helice
09-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Your choices are well thought out. You can do no better than the Reminton M-7 and it's tough to beat the 358 Winchester. I've used the 350 Remington for a number of years in the older and much maligned M-600. Brass is tough to locate and expensive. Lately I've been using two boolits, a 240 gr LBT Long Wide Nose and a similar boolit moulded by Edd Badgley at 225gr. Edd modified the 358315 to a long wide nose type configuration. That wide nose makes for big wounds and the added weight worked good for penetration. The deer here in N.Cal are like long legged German Shepherds so penetration is no big thing.

Build the rifle you want. Take some pictures and show us your prize. Then make a request for 35 caliber rifle boolits. The men at this sight are remarkably generous and they will help you find the cast slug of your dreams. They all have a reputation for coming alongside.

JesterGrin_1
09-09-2012, 09:49 PM
I will tell you what if I had the funds and the Heart I would use a Remington Model 600 MoHawk to convert to a 358 Winchester.

I loaded up some BRP 360-220Gr GC with some IMR-3031 to try out in my New Savage built into a 358 Win of which I hope to do this week. :). And yes it is hard to stare at loaded ammo lol. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/Stevens358.jpg

Uncle Grinch
09-09-2012, 10:17 PM
If I was building another 358 Win (got one on an FN 98 action) and it had to be a Remington, I'd pick up a 308/243, etc and send it to E.R Shaw, They have Remington profile barrels and do a decent job for a fair price.

JesterGrin_1
09-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Well I got Bad news today. The Shooting Range will be closed this week for maintenance ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGgggg. Well a 40 Mi round trip for bad news lol.

kaytod
09-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Freakshow,

If you are going to buy cast bullets initially, I would suggest looking at beartooth bullets, they have a nice 210 LFN and 250 gn LFN for the 35 cal rifles. Perhaps that will help get you started.

Todd

Adam10mm
09-15-2012, 12:16 AM
I don't buy bullets, I make them. But thanks for the recommendation.

helice
09-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Just for your information, you have a fellow from Michigan who is a 35cal. affectionado. What's more he's one of the nicest men on the forum. He's called Badgeredd. Edd sent me 35 caliber boolits to try in my 350 Rem Mag. You might like to send him a PM if you're not familiar with him yet. He's well worth gettin to know.
If you want some boolits for the 358 give me a PM and I'll send you some of my LBTs in 180 LFN, 225 gr WFN, or 240 LWN. I'd love to see you get that M-7 put together. I've wanted an M-7 in 358 for a long time now. I have a M-600 in 6mm that I never shoot. I'd have a hard time leavin' it alone if it was a 358 W. Tell Edd I sent you.
Karl

MBTcustom
09-15-2012, 06:09 AM
I don't buy bullets, I make them. But thanks for the recommendation.

Ha HA! :target_smiley:
Well said sir!!! I heard the snap on that one all the way over here!

justashooter
09-20-2012, 07:21 PM

some 336 barrels in 35 remington at numrich. some 356 and 375 bbls available for the winnie fans. all around $50 each.