PDA

View Full Version : First Range Trip...

nicholst55
08-12-2012, 09:07 PM
since returning from Korea in May. Yeah, it took me a while to get around to it, what with moving to Arizona, getting settled in, etc. I finally cobbled together a target frame this weekend, and drug a couple guns out to the range.

It was 117 balmy degrees (I'm getting up earlier next time!) on the 1,000 yard range, and I only stayed long enough to zero the Aimpoint on my AR-15 and shoot a few .45 Colt loads. The iron sights on the AR will have to wait until my next trip.

I was by myself, so there wasn't anything to take pix of. Maybe next time. I was zeroing the AR at 25 meters, so all the groups were 'bragging' size. I need a lot of trigger time after a 4-year hiatus, so maybe I'll have a chance to see what this little gun is capable of.

The Blackhawk shot better than I can hold, and these were some stout loads I was shooting. No leading that I can see, but I haven't cleaned the bore yet. I need to load up some milder loads to practice with; these are suitable for shooting large, angry animals!

I can't wait until next weekend!

gray wolf
08-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Sounds good to me, How do you like the Aim-point ?

nicholst55
08-12-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm used to conventional scopes, so it's going to take some getting used to. I think it will be great for under 200 yards, and pushing it for ranges beyond that. That should cover about 95% of my shooting with this gun, though.

1Shirt
08-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Welcome back to the States guy! Glad you are back!

1Shirt!