PDA

View Full Version : exploring Situational awareness

gray wolf
08-12-2012, 06:24 PM
There’s been an interest in exploring Situational awareness Can we refer to it as SA ?
SA seems to mean different things to different people, In an effort to stay on track, I would like to take a moment to explain what it does and does not mean to me. If we have conflicting views we can discuss them, In a way that hopefully will keep us on track.
My intention was not to discuss getting into or out of gun fights, nor the wearing of special gear, What pistol is best, or who can shoot better, and with what Ammo.
But rather being aware or our surroundings, At home, while out shopping, while driving, and even just walking about in towns or cities. Pre-plans for our kids and family members. In short A plan, what do I do if it all goes bad right now.
Can I get out of this building ? Did I notice where the exits were ?
What if there’s a Fire ? Do my kids have a place to meet if something happens ? How to notice when people are starting to go sour and violence may be about to ensue.
Our answers and interest to this subject ( thread ) will determine how it proceeds, what we learn, and what we can share, with others.
I hope we get some responses, and
Some good critical need to know In-formation.

Love Life
08-12-2012, 06:46 PM
This will be interesting.

smokeywolf
08-12-2012, 07:40 PM
I have taught my wife that traffic accidents can and have been used as a method or set up for a kidnap. Perp stands on his brakes, victim rear ends him. Victim gets out of car, approaches perp and is now vulnerable; Never tailgate! Always stop at least 10 feet behind car ahead of you at traffic light or stop sign. Less chance of getting pinned in.

In parking lots, never park with driver's door next to a van or truck and preferably park next to planter or island so that another vehicle can't park next to your driver's door. Always be suspicious of people sitting in cars, especially with engine running; check for this before exiting your vehicle. If you see only one person sitting in a vehicle, don't assume that there is only one person in that vehicle.

About six years ago we had a spate of car thefts that were carried out by the suspect placing a business card under the windshield wiper of a vehicle parked in a parking lot. The vehicle owner would return to the vehicle, suspect would be positioned nearby, owner enters car, starts engine, notices business card, exits vehicle (leaving engine running) to retrieve card, suspect approaches driver's door from rear of vehicle, jumps into vehicle, hits door locks, and drives away.

gray wolf
08-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Smokeywolf great reply, thanks for sharing. You made some
note worthy points. I can see I am going to be taking some notes.

smokeywolf
08-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Forgot to mention something.
Kidnappers, muggers, rapists (perps) will watch people getting out of their cars and walking into a store as part of their victim selection process. They then count on victims being distracted while putting packages away in the trunk or back of a vehicle or by impatient children. Maintaining caution and vigilance is most crucial when returning to your vehicle.

John in WI
08-12-2012, 08:40 PM
I have a good situation I found myself in about a year ago. I was at one of those fast food drivethroughs with the building on one side, and the landscaping on the other (so you can get out of line). The line took FOREVER, and the guy behind me was winding up his motor, and I saw him whacking his steering wheel. The he started beeping and finally got out of the car and came up to my passenger door.

Like an idiot, the door was unlocked, so he opened it and started shouting at me to move my car. (Which I couldn't do--2 cars ahead of me!).

At that point I was pretty freaked out. I was completely unarmed. I couldn't get out of my door because it was against the building, and I was strapped in, with a complete psycho climbing in.

It's more a story of a complete LACK of SA. I put myself in a very stupid position. Pinned in, in a fairly rough end of town, at night. And not even having my door locked!

The dude finally walked back to his car and "monster trucked" over the bushes and took off.

I guess that was my first lesson about living in a real city with real murder, gangs, and way too many people.

It certainly would not have been justified to use lethal force, but I'll tell you, when he had his hand on my passenger seat I was at Defcon 1 and if I had had my piece, at that moment I would have pulled it and got ready to fire because I was fully expecting he was packing and I was certain he was ready to blow.

Anyway--that was stupid of me, but fortunately nothing serious happend.

btroj
08-12-2012, 08:42 PM
I am aware of my surroundings and they are nothing like whathappens in So Cal. Omaha at its worst is nothing like LA or San Diego. I am quite OK with that!

I bet we have many on this board that live in the boonies and don't lock their doors.

Situational awareness begins with knowing the potential threats in the area. My area has far fewer threats than So Cal. My level of awareness is in proportion to my needs, that is good enough for me.

smokeywolf
08-12-2012, 08:57 PM
btroj,
Please check or recheck crime statistics for Omaha. Statistics from several sources show constantly higher crime rates for Omaha that the national average. Check city-data.com for an example.

Better to live with a little paranoia than to die from apathy.

gray wolf
08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Smokeywolf I would like to add a little tid- bit to your wonderful post if I may.
Parking areas can be a haven for criminal activity, When going back to your vehicle
keep your eyes scanning, don't be looking at the ground 3 feet in front of you.
Ever notice people walking while using there cell phone, they seem to think the person they are talking to is on the ground, must be cause that's ware they are looking, look up and around. If you see a person or persons hanging by your car
walk on past or change direction, doing so buys you some time to asses the situation, ( safe,? unsafe,? return to store,? ) You have De-fused a possible problem, At worst you have a chance to re-think on your terms.

gray wolf
08-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I have a good situation I found myself in about a year ago. I was at one of those fast food drivethroughs with the building on one side, and the landscaping on the other (so you can get out of line). The line took FOREVER, and the guy behind me was winding up his motor, and I saw him whacking his steering wheel. The he started beeping and finally got out of the car and came up to my passenger door.

Like an idiot, the door was unlocked, so he opened it and started shouting at me to move my car. (Which I couldn't do--2 cars ahead of me!).

At that point I was pretty freaked out. I was completely unarmed. I couldn't get out of my door because it was against the building, and I was strapped in, with a complete psycho climbing in.

It's more a story of a complete LACK of SA. I put myself in a very stupid position. Pinned in, in a fairly rough end of town, at night. And not even having my door locked!

The dude finally walked back to his car and "monster trucked" over the bushes and took off.

I guess that was my first lesson about living in a real city with real murder, gangs, and way too many people.

It certainly would not have been justified to use lethal force, but I'll tell you, when he had his hand on my passenger seat I was at Defcon 1 and if I had had my piece, at that moment I would have pulled it and got ready to fire because I was fully expecting he was packing and I was certain he was ready to blow.

Anyway--that was stupid of me, but fortunately nothing serious happend.

Wow ! can we learn from this, took a little for you to lay that one on us, thank you and glad you came out OK.
Men we can expand on this one, lets forget that we know who it happened to and look at it like it was a page in a book.
It sounds like this situation escalated in a matter of seconds,
How was this person violated ?
what boundaries were crossed ?
What could have been done differently?, lets try and leave using a weapon out for now,
how about pepper spray ?
Was he scanning his area ?
A look in the rear view mirror may have allowed enough time to lock his doors.
What if he left a little buffer zone from the car in front, could he have used the little space to leave the line ?
Things like this happen in a heart beat, what say you all ?
He was nice enough to share this, lets learn from it.

smokeywolf
08-12-2012, 09:23 PM
At the risk of making this sound like a "mutual admiration society", great point and great addition. And your right, people are typically looking down while walking and talking.

Cell phones can get you out of dangerous situation, but used at the wrong moment can divert your attention from a potentially bad situation.

gray wolf
08-12-2012, 09:37 PM
OK, why did the potential crazy think he was bigger and better than the person in line in front of him ? what made him impose actions that could have got him killed ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btroj
08-12-2012, 11:29 PM
btroj,
Please check or recheck crime statistics for Omaha. Statistics from several sources show constantly higher crime rates for Omaha that the national average. Check city-data.com for an example.

Better to live with a little paranoia than to die from apathy.

Technically I live in Bellevue, just such of Omaha. Most of the crime in Omaha happens in a few parts of town. I very, very rarely venture to those areas.

I find the beat way to avoid most crime is to avoid areas where most crime occurs. I realize you can't avoid all crime but most crime happens in certain areas, I kist avoid those areas.

Omaha is a very safe place in my opinion. We don't have that many murders outside of the typical gang banger garbage. Luckily that doesn't happen within 10 miles of me.

I feel very safe in the town in which I live. I worry far more about idiots running red lights and drunk drivers than I do anying else.

popper
08-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Watch yourself at ATM machines. Landscape has changed some, but many were in out of the way places with bushes, etc where bad people hide. Dive ups are about as bad, make sure the one in front leaves and if one pulls close behind, think. Same with walk-ups. I'd like opinions on the bedside gun - exposed or hidden? How about when youngsters are in the house? I know there are laws, but?

quilbilly
08-12-2012, 11:41 PM
we live well into deep Northwest forest but we are close to a major highway (escape route) so my biggest concern is a home invasion. I watch all the cars that travel out gravel road and at irregular intervals I walk the road for a few hundred yards each way listening and looking into the forest for possible watchers other than the deer or our neighborhood mountain lion we see regularly on our trail cam (we call her Penelope). Penelope doesn't bother us but two legged predators do.

palmettosunshine
08-13-2012, 12:07 AM
I live in a tourist town that has been hard hit by the recent downturn in the economy. After a recent incident at a local grocery store I banned my wife from shopping there even though it's the closest store to us. I had parked two rows away from the furthest store entrance, about five spots ups from the store with no cars near me when I parked. As I exited the store, an older SUV pulls up next to my car with their driver's door next to mine. The driver could have been four or more spots closer to the stores in the plaza and as I get closer to my car I notice the driver looking at me and acting very nervous. He'd check me out then look away. I stopped in the parking lot, swapped my bags to my left hand and waited until the driver looked at me again. I then put my right hand in my pocket, looked him in the eye and shook my head. This was about 20 ft from my car. He looks at me, turns and says something to someone else obviously in the back seat (and out of sight) and pulls away. I waited until they cleared the lot then got in my car. Just by being aware of my surroundings (SA) I was able to avoid a potential mugging.

smokeywolf
08-13-2012, 12:41 AM
btroj,
Good to hear that your in a good part of town or suburbia. Just remember, very few burglaries and home invasions occur in the neighborhoods where crooks live. They favor more affluent and seemingly safe parts of town.
We too are in a comparatively safe city in SoCal but, I never forget that someone has to become a statistic.

popper,
very good point about ATMs. They're one of the few places that are more dangerous and vulnerable than supermarket parking lots. I haven't used an ATM in years simply because I don't see their risk as being worth the reward of their convenience.

quilbilly,
I hope you have a Colt, S&W, or whatever in your hand while your checking the road. Perhaps your four legged predator will take care of any two legged predators that might decide to prowl your area.

palmettosunshine,
Exciting story! You've got juevos! However, a safer response to that confrontation might have been to turn on your heel, go back in the store and call the local PD or Sheriffs Office. Odds are, your suspects had either a rap sheet or active warrants and might have been arrested on the spot. That might have prevented them from assaulting someone else.
Still, good on you for your vigilance and proactive response to an obvious threat.

Bob Krack
08-13-2012, 08:05 AM
Rather than to describe some of my paranoid (but possible) scenario, I will make a short example with absolutely no paranoia.

When shopping at one of the larger stores - big box, grocery, misc... I try to park with the driver side door next to the shopping cart cage. Defeats quick easy entry by intruder, but does not impede me. It is also a place whereby I can use a store shopping cart to carry my purchases to my vehicle, place between myself and a potential threat, still leave one hand free, and easy return of the cart without additional travel across the parking lot.

I also try to enter a parking space that has the entire lane empty and continue through the entry space and into the opposite space leaving me heading out rather than having to back out when leaving.

Bob

gray wolf
08-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Well folks so far this thread has been wonderful, It shows we can work as a group,
and share ideas.
It gives us an opportunity to share an experience with others , and relive an event, in doing so it should give the individual a chance to perhaps change the way it was handled, OR pat themselves on the back for a job well done.
Equally important it gives others a chance to see they are not alone,
As in "" hey that almost happened to me "" again, a chance to think.
It's very helpful that some of the folks are just not reading what others are saying
The comments, and suggestions that have been added have been very constructive, It's evident some thought and consideration to others and there feelings have been taken into into account.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- a thought
I think it would be prudent to remember, when we feel uneasy and decide to check our perimeter, ( as in around our house ) or walk our property line, We may be doing so for many reasons. If we are doing so because we think there is a threat to our well being IMHO I think it's important to remember we have left our fox hole ( our house ) and exposed ourselves to whatever that threat may be.
If it's night time we most likely will be using some kind of light, we are now vulnerable to what ever the danger may be, and said " here I am "
Depending on how many hairs on your neck are standing up, a more prudent approach may be to remain in your house, this may give you better control over what may be happening, Call the P. D. if needed then defend.I say may, cause every situation will dictate it's own set of rules of engagement and how we act. That's why we prep our minds and train. Our S A has raised a flag, this allows us to put a plan into action.
I will leave it at that, in hope that others will add comments.

BeeMan
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
This is going to be a thread well worth following. Thanks to you who have already contributed.

quilbilly
08-13-2012, 03:39 PM
We caught a state fish biologist on our trail cam a couple weeks back looking at our creek and he had not asked permission. At first I asked around the neighborhood if anyone knew him but from the type of waders he wore, I suspected who he was. I chatted with him about situational awareness (he never noticed the cam) and that he better ask next time. Then I showed him the picture of Penelope the cam got five minutes after he walked by (she was watching him from the time stamp). Yes we have a fine watch cat who keeps our garden deer free and she looks good now from yesterday's picture and she has gained some weight. I occasionally carry my 357 but always have my aluminum ski pole walking stick with the sharp steel point which is as vicious a close defensive weapon as I can think of.

gray wolf
08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Sounds good Quilbilly Those trail cams come in handy.
Hey I would get that Mt. Lion a set of B D U's and start paying her, Err something,
Sounds like shes on the job. Good info, good story, thanks.

John in WI
08-13-2012, 09:58 PM
What I'm impressed with here is how I have never heard anyone giving "armchair commando" advice about things like this. Of course, if I'm about to be assaulted I'd prefer to be in full Kevlar, carrying something I can't miss with. Maybe an old fashioned flame thrower. But folks here seem to live in the real world (along with me).

I think that's where SA comes in. Even when I'm carrying (which is forbidden anywhere on campus where I work), I don't feel like I'm ready to take on any thug I run in to. Actually, the thought of going to war with one of them, no matter how much he had it coming, is pretty disturbing to me.

Much better to observe a lot of the thoughts already posted---Watch your 6 (especially at ATM machines!), keep an eye on your surroundings, avoid the really crumby parts of town whenever you can possibly avoid it, keep your doors locked...

It's unfortunate I live in a world where I even have to consider any of this. I truly miss growing up in my sleepy home town (less than 3000 people), and regret that life and work has brought me to a city of nearly 1million.

Still--the near misses, close calls, and people who were sharp enough not to fall into traps is exactly why this is an important subject. I'm sure everyone here would agree avoiding the fight is much smarter than trying to win a fight! Or worse yet, there's no fight--the thug clubs you while you're too busy.

I'm glad this subject came up. I've been spending a lot of time at the range this summer. Working on reloading, drawing, clearing jams, multiple targets... My skills are improving pretty quickly. But if it ACTUALLY came time to excecute any of it, AWARENESS will determine your response.

You can't be walking around "brandishing" a gun at everyone who makes you a bit uneasy. (I run into a LOT of people that put me on Defcon 4). You also don't want to be the dummy who gets hit by a car because you walked into the street with his Iphone.

I'm starting to think about it according the the DEFCON system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON with your awarness somewhere between "lowest state of readiness" to "war is immenent"

smokeywolf
08-13-2012, 10:17 PM
I have worked many years on the night/graveyard shifts. This may not apply to situational awareness, but it may save someone's life.
If ever driving on the freeway in the wee hours, 1:00 - 4:00 AM (bar time), use lanes 2, 3, 4, or above, never drive in the fast lane. When drunks get on the freeway going the wrong way, they almost always drive in the fast lane thinking that its the right lane.
I didn't dream this up, I've seen it, twice. One was a fatality; not the drunk of course.

gray wolf
08-13-2012, 11:41 PM
John
Your concerns about deadly force are shared with many of the folks here.
I hope in the future we can have another thread that will deal with the use of firearms. When I proposed the subject of S A be addressed I tried in a very diplomatic way to lean in another direction, and as is evident from all the great post
we have managed to stay along the original intended curriculum.
That in no way means to say it would not be an interesting topic.
I think the topic of S A will segway into a future topic that can delve deeper into some of the other subjects.
Thank you for your up front honesty and your willingness to share with us.

Sam

mrb7
08-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Watch yourself at ATM machines. Landscape has changed some, but many were in out of the way places with bushes, etc where bad people hide. Dive ups are about as bad, make sure the one in front leaves and if one pulls close behind, think. Same with walk-ups. I'd like opinions on the bedside gun - exposed or hidden? How about when youngsters are in the house? I know there are laws, but?

I don't ever go to ATMs any more unless they're in the bank during business hours.

If I want cash, which I did yesterday, I make a purchase somewhere that will give me cash back. Yesterday was Home Depot. Ok, I was limited to $50. But I didn't feel like I was going to get robbed.

There is always something I need at a grocery store or Home Depot or somewhere that I can get cash in a safe location. So yesterday I ended up with a bottle of lemon oil furniture polish that I needed.

The self checkout line at many places couldn't care less if you get a $1 soda pop and $50 in cash. And that's cheaper than the transaction fee at many places.

MB

popper
08-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Had a head-on on the tollway last nite. Someone going the wrong way but both were drunk.

fixit
08-14-2012, 02:06 PM
my wife thinks i'm a little paranoid, but i pay attention to cars following me as i come off the highway. our house is only 4 turns and 5 blocks off the highway, so i go into evasive manuvers if anyone follows more than two turns. if followed, no one wants the tail to know where home is!

gray wolf
08-14-2012, 04:01 PM
my wife thinks I'm a little paranoid,
I would say cautious and alert, Just gettin everyone home safe.
It takes very little time to glance at the rear view Mirror,
It could take weeks to heal or recover from an easily preventable experience.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is always something I need at a grocery store or Home Depot or somewhere that I can get cash in a safe location. So yesterday I ended up with a bottle of lemon oil furniture polish that I needed.
The self checkout line at many places couldn't care less if you get a $1 soda pop and $50 in cash. And that's cheaper than the transaction fee at many places.
Well worth remembering, and hey, even if you do use an ATM--if you don't like what may be hanging around at the ATM--now we have an alternative and don't have to skip the withdrawal.

Good advise men

smokeywolf
08-14-2012, 04:08 PM
fixit,
That's a good thing. Country, city, trail, or highway, watch your back-trail. It costs you nothing but could save everything.

Another point, back in the late 70s and early 80s when my office was in the front seat of a patrol car, if a citizen drove up next to me to ask a question or directions, they couldn't see it, but my Colt 1911 was aimed at him or her through my driver's door.
You're very vulnerable when sitting in your car.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-14-2012, 05:36 PM
some family things

John in WI i was over your way for the state fair this last week , my daughter had a project go to state

back on topic rally point- at the fair our rally point was set up as between/below the 2 American flags on back of the Milwaukee mile bleachers they are visible from the hole park

rally point = place to meet if we get separated or any one gets lost they are to stay put for 10 minutes then make their way to the rally point if not found after 10 minutes.

when we go places and i have a line of kids my wife leads and i bring up the rear that way i can see them all at once and watch anyone approaching them

one that bugs me every time i see it , ladies don't ever un-sling that hand bag and put it in the shopping cart , if it is to big think about an essentials only bag to take into stores and lock the big one in the trunk

keys and phones are another one i see so many people walk in sit down and place their keys and phone on the table they turn away , they go to the restroom or up to the buffet
your keys now locate your car form 100' or more and your phone can give up a bunch of personal data , and even lead a person to your home as can the gps in your car
not to mention the i found your phone on the side walk would you like to meet and i can give you back your phone scam, was there a reward ?

snuffy
08-14-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm beginning to see what SA is all about. I plead ignorance to the term, but NOT the idea. it's what I've been doing since the first time I hunted game. Or went anywhere to do anything.

I've never been in any situation where I was in danger, at least not that I was aware of. I live in what surveys call a "small town". Oshkosh is a college town so it has it's moments of student unrest, but no muggings and few robberies.

A couple of the ideas already mentioned are new to me, will be added to my already paranoid attitude. Keep them coming!:idea:

mrb7
08-14-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm beginning to see what SA is all about. I plead ignorance to the term, but NOT the idea. it's what I've been doing since the first time I hunted game. Or went anywhere to do anything.

I've never been in any situation where I was in danger, at least not that I was aware of. I live in what surveys call a "small town". Oshkosh is a college town so it has it's moments of student unrest, but no muggings and few robberies.

A couple of the ideas already mentioned are new to me, will be added to my already paranoid attitude. Keep them coming!:idea:

It might have seemed like paranoia 25 years ago. But it's prudence today.

smokeywolf
08-15-2012, 03:38 PM
There have been quite a few shootings in restaurants over the past 10 to 20 years. McDonald's has certainly seen their share.

When entering a restaurant, do a quick scan of the room, make a mental note of where the cash register (if it's a Denny's type restaurant), kitchen, and bathrooms are. Try to get a seat, table, or booth near a rear or side exit, or the kitchen. Restaurant kitchens almost always have back doors and should you not find an exit, are a source for some serious defensive weapons; including hot liquids. Check for potential points of cover; not just hiding places, but spots behind objects that will likely stop a bullet. Keep in mind that potential points of cover may only be good for a few seconds, then you may need to move again. Always try to sit with your back to the wall and at least a partial view of the front door or the entrance to the room you are in.
This may sound like a lot to do or remember, but after practicing this several times it will begin feeling more natural, and by the time you've been seated you'll have it all sorted out.

gray wolf
08-15-2012, 04:50 PM
SMOKEYWOLF
Some very good info there, very worth while remembering and putting into practice. You don't need your eyes to chew food,
and You don't always have to move your head to do a partial room scan.
If your with your wife or girl friend, or any friend, don't sit side by side.
Sit facing each other, that way you can cover each others back.
If you get careless remember there is a big door key under your butt,
It's called a chair, and will make an instant door out of most windows.
DON"T BE A VICTIM The threats to our well being are very real.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-16-2012, 02:33 PM
while not always true , more bad happens after sun down than in broad daylight

there are a number of restaurants like the Perkins in Madison Wi that hire armed security after 10pm

if you can, being home by dark or 9pm will help you avoid the prime time for trouble
that doesn't work for everyone's schedule but if you can it may be a way to avoid some trouble

gray wolf
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Thank you PETE, good info.
I think it's time to be honest and understand the world outside can be a hurtful place.
Do we live as a hermit ? NO -- do we not go out in public ? NO --
Do we walk around in constant fear ? NO --
What do we do ?
We do our best to stay out of harms way by being vigilant and watchful of our surroundings. It's so simple we sometimes forget.

smokeywolf
08-16-2012, 05:23 PM
The world has changed dramatically over the last 50 years. The political and legal systems have become so concerned with the rights of the criminal that they have become paralyzed in dispensing punishment/justice.
You can no longer assume that a trip to the grocery store or out to lunch will be safe and trouble free.
Increased vigilance and preparedness is no longer just a wise idea, it has become necessary for yours and your family's safety and possibly for your/their survival.
The practices and suggestions in this thread may seem like overkill or paranoia but, when utilized and practiced they become automatic and almost second nature.
Remember the old saying; an ounce of prevention... That's what these practices are.

As gray wolf said, "It's so simple we sometimes forget."
I've been doing this for so many years that, in order to put some of these tactics and procedures in writing, I've had to sit down and mentally walk through what I'm thinking and doing every time I go the the grocery store, gas station, restaurant, etc.

You've been practicing defensive driving for years, some of us for decades. Situational awareness is just "defensive living".

smokeywolf

smokeywolf
08-21-2012, 03:39 PM
When patronizing a bank, gas station, restaurant, or convenience store, keep in mind that those closer to a freeway on-ramp are more often targeted for robberies than those without that escape option.

smokeywolf

gray wolf
08-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Men there must be some questions out there, or something constructive that someone may like to add.
I'm going to say this straight up ---
I can't believe everyone knows everything there is to know about staying safe while out in there own environment. Be it, city, town, out in the country or on the farm,
A day out with the family ? driving in your car ? in a mall ?
Has no one ever walked up behind you while you were operating a piece of noisy equipment ?
IS everything all that good in the land of Oz ?
One of the favorite things to say on our forum is,
"No question is to small, there are no questions that sound silly to us"
So jump in, the water is fine and there are no Sharks swimming around.

smokeywolf
08-23-2012, 02:26 PM
People watching is very entertaining and is a very essential component to situational awareness. Any time your in a public venue, restaurant, gas station, convenience mart, or even a grocery store, be a people watcher. Watch how people look around, do they seem nervous? Do you see two people repeatedly looking toward each other as if looking for a cue? How are they dressed? Are they wearing a coat in 80 degree weather?
These are all signs that you should prepare. Get yourself closer to an object that offers good cover or closer to an exit.

popper
08-23-2012, 06:02 PM
It's called a chair, and will make an instant door out of most windows. I told my kids this when they were young, a FIRE escape or exit in case of a home intrusion. Unfortunately, most retail window glass is tempered and tough. High rise glass is 3/4 - 1" thick and a 3x6' pane weighs several hundred pounds. When I was working man-traps, the plastic bullet resistant panes were 1 1/2" 8'x8' and ~500#. Don't plan on a commercial window as a path for escape.

MT Gianni
08-23-2012, 06:45 PM
I told my kids this when they were young, a FIRE escape or exit in case of a home intrusion. Unfortunately, most retail window glass is tempered and tough. High rise glass is 3/4 - 1" thick and a 3x6' pane weighs several hundred pounds. When I was working man-traps, the plastic bullet resistant panes were 1 1/2" 8'x8' and ~500#. Don't plan on a commercial window as a path for escape.

The Fenestration council has mandated an x in one of the corners in a room of tempered glass, that a chair, or a firefighters axe can break. If you are trapped look for the x.

BeeMan
08-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Observation, about self and from watching others. Put that cell phone or MP3 player away. Too many get so absorbed that they are clueless to what is going on around them. Personal electronics can have a proper place and time, but be careful.

BeeMan

mtnman31
08-23-2012, 08:41 PM
I'll relay a story that SA played a major factor in.
I had a memorable experience a few years back while visiting Spain. A couple friends and I had gone out one evening to a few night spots. Around 1 a.m. we walked back to their flat. The route home took us down a few narrow but busy side streets. In the crowd I noticed a couple girls who were visibly drunk talking to a couple guys. The girls waved their hands and walked away. I couldn't hear them but body language told me they were trying to politely tell the fellas they just wanted to go home. The girls walked down the street in front of us for a few blocks and I noticed that one of the guys they had been talking to was not far behind them. Something about his demeanor set off my "spidey" senses. I casually mentioned it to my friend and his wife dismissively said I was being paranoid. I told them that when the girls made a turn we'd follow them from a distance just to be sure. A few blocks later the girls turned off the busy street and I noticed the guy following them texting on his phone. He made the same turn as the girls and as he turned he looked up the street and made a motion to his partner that I now saw ahead of him. His partner made the same turn a street up. This solidified in my mind that they had some bad intentions. By this point my friends realized that I was not just being paranoid. We tried to figure out our next move and how to SAFELY get the guys to move on. We continued to follow the girls and now one guy from a distance. The girls then made a turn down a dark, empty street. As we followed them I noticed the guy's partner up a block, turn onto the same street we were on. I started to get a little worried at this point since we had left the busy street and who knows what kind of criminals they were (could have been armed). About a half a block down the street, the girls stopped and started to open a door to their place. At this point I yelled out to the guy to keep walking. He looked back at us and stopped. Surprisingly, he turned around and walked back towards us. We moved to one side of the street and he walked back towards the intersection we had just turned from. We stared him down and and as he passed us we exchanged a few words and warned him to not come back this way. We breathed a sigh of relief that nothing physical developed. About the time he reached the intersection, his buddy appeared in the intersection and they stood there for a minute. We decided to go knock on the door the girls went in. One of them answered the door and we tried to warn them about the two creeps down the street and told them to lock the door. I don' think they took us seriously until my friend's wife got a little animated with them. By this point the creeps had left the intersection. End of the excitement...

Sorry for the long story, but it really reinforced in my mind that being observant can pay off. I like to think that our actions kept the girls from being assaulted.

Being observant is the foundation of situational awareness. Obviously it is a learned behavior. My learned SA was the result of a conscious decision and continual effort to be vigilant and aware. It isn't a paranoia as some might say - it is just an awareness of what is going on around you. I'm definitely not the type to think that trouble waits around every corner. However, I do realize that society does have a few ghouls running around and while the chances of crossing paths with them are slim, it can and does happen. Being vigilant or aware will lessen the chances of having to interact with said ghouls and scumbags. Being watchful and vigilant also means I don't have to live in a state of fear or deny myself going places (within reason) or doing things because I am scared. It is hard to explain, SA is just something that is a part of me.

STAY ALERT, STAY ALIVE.

Blacksmith
08-23-2012, 10:10 PM
I'd like opinions on the bedside gun - exposed or hidden? How about when youngsters are in the house? I know there are laws, but?

Popper,
On a seldom used chair within arms reach is a small pile of clean socks waiting to be sorted, perfectaly normal in a bedroom. In one of those socks is a revolver. Out of sight out of mind. I don't have young visitors and no one else would notice or probably look there.

popper
08-25-2012, 11:59 AM
look for the x Well noted, I will be looking. A sock - cool idea, don't know if my full sized XD would fit, but still a good idea. Reason for my question - city has had several home invasions, where the occupants were asleep and either were not awakened or woke to see the perps standing over them. If a gun were 'in the open' bad things could have happened. A trick I was taught by the PD when I was a kid - you are being followed, drive to a police or fire station. They told us any highly populated place would work, but in these days I'm not so sure. Good comments on this thread. Keep them coming, we will be informed and aware. Grey Wolf - I don't see any reason NOT to go ahead and start the other thread with it's exact purpose.

gray wolf
08-25-2012, 08:12 PM
POPPER
Lets have this thread run a little longer before we start one about firearms, shooting, practice drills, and any other situation that may a require a weapon, or the safe keeping of same.
I realize this is only a request on my part, but I must say the guy's have been great about staying on track. I also know that many folks are a little shy about telling a story or volunteering anything. We have to respect that.
For me S A is every place, while doing everything.
Imagine the S A that must be employed by someone that fly's Airplanes,
Operates a chain saw, trims trees, drives heavy equipment,
rides a bike -- motor OR peddle, snow blowing, even down to a little thing like carving the X-Mas Turkey.
Every thing we do requires us to be vigilant of our every move.
How many times I have walked into a place and turned around and left, WHY ?
cause my sixth sense told me " this is the wrong place to be.
I have learned to take little for granted and trust the hair on the back of my neck.
Also very important is having a work around for when we forget, a way out.
Remembering the difference between cover and concealment.
We want to ALWAYS stay in the shallow part of the pool.

Blacksmith
08-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Always watch the animals around you. They can hear, smell, and see better than you can and the longest living are SA. They can tell you where something is long before you know. Also pay attention to when they shut up or dissapear, the absence of wild life is also important.

When I am carriage driving my horse knows when something is around a corner or comming up the trail. Sometimes he just doesn't want to go a particular place and if he is adament I will respect his senses. We have driven for hundreds or maybe thousands of miles together so we know each other very well.

gray wolf
08-26-2012, 12:33 PM
BLACKSMITH
That's great information,
and very useful. Yes animals are quite smart aren't they. My two Dogs are same way.
What a good example of S A --the animals seem to know that one mistake could be there last. When my dogs are relaxed, I am relaxed.
Situation// I am using the wood splitter, gas fumes, noise, and distraction.
My Eyes are focused on what I am doing, my hearing is impaired from the splitter that's running. I position myself with my back to the camp, I have a 25 yard perimeter of clear vision with woods on three sides, the 4th is my driveway and a 50 yard clear line of site. I know on average how long it takes a person to clear that area, I try to scan it as often as possible. My dog hangs close and I don't have to lift my head to watch her if she reacts to something.
Over the top some may say, some may agree. The important thing here is not to criticize or condone, But to read and listen to what others are saying.
If it seems unpractical or silly to you, then you will never put it into play.
Rather than dismiss some otherwise good advise, think about it and use what fits into your life style, then think about what you have discarded as needless advise.
S A is not a job requirement for most of us,
You don't get a Gold star if you keep yourself safe, and you probably wont get bump up the ranks for doing it right.
But keep in mind you may also NOT GET a bump on the head, or find yourself in a tight spot with no way out.
It helps to know that your wife and kids understand also that things in there world can go wrong--any time---any place.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Always watch the animals around you. They can hear, smell, and see better than you can and the longest living are SA. They can tell you where something is long before you know. Also pay attention to when they shut up or dissapear, the absence of wild life is also important.

One area where I hunt deer is a small patch of woods (30 acres) along a small spring fed river on a vegetable farm on a major county road, which is also right on the edge of the city limits of a town with a population of 3000 or so.
So there is lots of noise. This farm has lots and lots of outdoor cats. I always thought it was a nuisance to have a cat follow me out into the woods when I was hunting. But I did notice something. With randon (non-wildlife) noises occuring all the time, sometimes it's tough to tell what noises are from wildlife. Well it seems the cat knew, and also that cat could tell what direction that noise was coming from better than I, as well. I learned to appreciate my little partner. We never got a deer though. The only deer I did see was while walking out to my blind one early weekday morning...two deer standing in the river. They seen me as soon as I seen them, I had about a 3 second window to take a shot. I hesitated, I could call it instinct or SA, Because the shot was right across the river and right across the river was the county road...and on that county road I could hear some traffic during that 3 second window...I looked through the leafless trees toward that road...a school bus heading north...WOW, I'm glad I hesitated.
Jon

popper
08-26-2012, 03:40 PM
gray wolf - no problem

smokeywolf
08-27-2012, 07:57 PM
JonB_in_Glencoe,
- Great example of paying attention to that voice in the back of your head. That gut feeling that things may not be what they seem. Just like anomalies or movement is oft times better noticed or picked up out of the corner of your eye than looking at it or for it straight on. Sometimes things that present a danger or a threat are often felt in your gut, before they are noticed by your 5 senses and analysed by your brain.

- As far as watching the animals for signs of danger, I used to train horses and some of the best advice I ever got, was that horses see everything as a potential threat. Horses are prey animals and as such, a horse thinks that everything, absolutely everything eats horses.
A prey animal will frequently cue you to a potential danger quicker than a predatory animal.
If you don't have horses, your pretty much limited to watching your dogs and cats. But, they will almost always know whats coming before you do.

smokeywolf

MT Gianni
08-27-2012, 08:36 PM
JonB_in_Glencoe,
-
A prey animal will frequently cue you to a potential danger quicker than a predatory animal.
If you don't have horses, your pretty much limited to watching your dogs and cats. But, they will almost always know whats coming before you do.

smokeywolf

Watch for squirrels and birds in the woods. Vocal changes and unexpected flights can clue you into game or predators.