PDA

View Full Version : useable lead?

chevyiron420
05-10-2007, 11:38 PM
how about the lead in car batteries? is it useable? i have a couple old ones plus 6 big ones from a golf cart.-phil

R.M.
05-10-2007, 11:40 PM
NO, NEVER, NOT EVER
Get my drift? Just way too dangerous.

mooman76
05-10-2007, 11:52 PM
I tried it once years ago. Not a good idea and you'd be surprized how little lead is in a car battery anyway!

chevyiron420
05-10-2007, 11:52 PM
care to explain why its dangerous ?

Dale53
05-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Most batteries today contain Cadmium. Melting cadmium bearing lead gives off a deadly gas when the battery elements are melted.

There is not a whole lot of lead left after a battery is used for a long time. Mostly oxides and of course, the very real chance of not making it to the next melt.

The man was right - never, never as in NEVER!

Dale53

454PB
05-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Not to mention that the acid will desroy your clothing, boots, skin, etc. I did it ONCE.....never again!

Cherokee
05-11-2007, 08:24 AM
I tried it once many years ago - DON'T DO IT

USARO4
05-11-2007, 08:37 AM
I have to chime in here to, I tried it once and would never do it again. It is dangerous! Just hacksaw the battery posts off and leave the rest of the battery alone, most of the lead on the plates is oxidized and unsalvageable anyway.

MT Gianni
05-11-2007, 10:57 AM
how about the lead in car batteries? is it useable? i have a couple old ones plus 6 big ones from a golf cart.-phil

It is good to take to recycle'er and let them get it to those who can deal with the elements. Find out if they pay enough stripped to make it worth your time but do not try to smelt it your self. Gianni.

jonk
05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I once thought I'd try this. I drained the battery acid out and neutralized it with a bunch of baking soda, and poured it down a sink drain. Then filled the battery itself with milk, drain, repeat....so the acid was gone anyhow. I chopped it up with a pickaxe....just fo find basically zero lead.

jhalcott
05-11-2007, 02:00 PM
I thought the batteries had strontium in them especially the low maintenance ones. I was going to grab a few "lead connectors" from the tractor shop at work. They were going to dispose of them any way.The shop foreman said not too! IF they were usable he'd GIVE me a hand with them. The alloy will give off toxic fumes when remelted. These toxins will mix with the water vapor in the air and can cause death! I would NOT mess with batteries.

Hunter
05-11-2007, 05:16 PM
My buddy had a few forklift batteries he wanted to give me. I hated to pass on them as they were rather large but I read in the Lyman handbook the same as was posted here. Salvaging battery lead is not a good idea due to the chemicals given off.