PDA

View Full Version : Lee bullet seater damaging boolit

mto7464
05-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Just loaded a new boolit of mine, .30 180 RN Lee mold, and noticed the Lee boolit seater was damaging the boolit by leaving a ring around the top of the boolit. Is there another shape seater I can use or something I can do to avoid this? I am using WW with some added tin by the way.

montana_charlie
05-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Pull the seater out of the die. Put some case lube on the nose of an undamaged bullet. Fill the cavity on the bullet seater with hot glue, and press the bullet into it till it cools. Clean off the excess glue with a razor knife.

The seater now fits your bullet.

When you're tired of that bullet design, jerk the glue out of the seater.
CM

BudRow
05-11-2007, 05:40 AM
That little ring shouldn't hurt anything but you can minimize it by putting a radius on the offending edge of the seater plug.

USARO4
05-11-2007, 08:43 AM
I have two Lee dies in .30, a 115gr soupcan and a 170gr FT. They both leave the little ring when seating bullets. If it makes any differance in accuracy I'm not a good enough shot to notice.

jonk
05-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Ditto on what others have said. It is more a cosmetic concern as the ring is concentric and accuracy loss thereby minimized. Though the idea of hot glue in the sizer die- or JB weld if I really wanted to do it up permanent like- has merit. Similar to what I do with Lyman top punches saving time and money if I don't have the right profile (thanks to this board...)