PDA

View Full Version : Double pour..?

Kimall
08-12-2012, 04:30 AM
I am very new to casting only having just learnt but I have been thinking a lot about it since that first day.For a hunting bullet to be shot at subsonic speed could you cast some pure lead bullets of the right size and cut them in half putting the front half back in the mould and pour a harder alloy in to make up the back half of the boolit.Or just make them soft to start or try and find a hollw point mould?
Cheers KIM

41mag
08-12-2012, 06:31 AM
There have been several topics of this nature since I have been around, but this one seems to be about the most indepth,

Casting Softnose Bullets From ANY Conventional Moulds (http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17546&highlight=pouring+soft+nose)

It's a good read and should provide you with what your after.

sw282
08-12-2012, 07:52 AM
l remember years ago Lyman made molds for 2 piece bullets. Nose was cast of pure lead. A mold for the base cast of harder alloy. Then you glued front/rear using Lyman special glue. l dont know how well they performed. l have seen the molds on ebay. Either the one for base or nose is offered,but never together.

Kimall
08-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks for that just what I was after.
Cheers KIM

wmitty
08-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I think you will find it a lot easier to heat treat an alloy simililar to wheel weights and then soften the boolet noses by standing them in water to the depth desired to keep hard and annealing the exposed portion within the heat treat oven. Heat treating is not difficult to perform and is very effective in increasing alloy hardness.

btroj
08-12-2012, 10:10 PM
41 mag posted the link to the best method. BruceB has a method that just plain works. I have also used many little dippers made from pistol cases and a small pot of pure lead for noses too.

Doesn't take long to make enough to last more than a few hunting seasons.

1Shirt
08-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Yep, go with Bruce B! Slow but effective!
1Shirt

Kimall
08-13-2012, 05:11 AM
What are the details in the heat treating method or where can I find them sounds interesting.
Cheers KIM

Hank10
08-13-2012, 09:27 AM
What are the details in the heat treating method or where can I find them sounds interesting.
Cheers KIM

Many yrs. ago Lyman made lead noses for many of their rifle bullets. I still have one for a 311284 bullet and have some 30/06 loaded and ready to go but you have to put those little noses into a very hot mold with your fingers and get them perfectly aligned, tweezers help. Some folks find it easier to just drop in the right size round ball (buckshot) which melts and becomes the nose of the bullet.
Hank10

Shuz
08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
l remember years ago Lyman made molds for 2 piece bullets. Nose was cast of pure lead. A mold for the base cast of harder alloy. Then you glued front/rear using Lyman special glue. l dont know how well they performed. l have seen the molds on ebay. Either the one for base or nose is offered,but never together.

I had one of those sets 429625;A and B as I recall. It's one of those great ideas that fails in execution. I could not find any glue or epoxy that would hold the two parts together under the recoil of a .44 magnum. First shot was fine but then the others would jump out of the bases.
The way I use this 2 alloy concept is to cast just the nose with the "A" mould outta pure lead and then after they have cooled, I fire up a SC 429421 and when good and hot, I drop one of the pure lead noses into the SC mould and then pour a harder alloy on top. This causes the tail of the nose to be more or less bonded to the new base. Works fine and don't jump out, but they are sure time consuming to make. Hollow points are much easier!

7br
08-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Here are some remarks from the cheap seats. BruceB's method is great if slow means 1700fps. I have a 35 rem that will get this treatment if I get around to it. However, if you are looking at a revolver at 1100 or so fps, I would look at casting with pretty soft lead. Especially if it is a gascheck design. Cast a couple dozen and test for leading. The amount of shooting you will do on a hunt probably will not lead a revolver up.

Kimall
08-14-2012, 05:16 AM
Thanks again guys I am casting for my 7.62x 39 for hunting with my Baikal single shot and am running them at 1060 so I will put one through a deer and see how they perform at the alloy mixture they are now.
Cheers KIM

frkelly74
08-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I wonder if the hard part of the boolit could be cast from Zinc. Would that form a good solder type joint? Some of the 2 piecers used a zinc washer as one of the components if I remember right. Sorry if this is a dumb or repeated question. No hijack intended either.

pdawg_shooter
08-14-2012, 05:49 PM
I pour a pure lead nose followed right away by finishing the bullet with a hard alloy. You can see on the bullet where the two alloys meet, but I haven't had one separate yet. I have recovered a lot of these from game and they have always stayed together.