PDA

View Full Version : 45 Cal Ethan Allen with Fast Twist

rjathon
08-11-2012, 02:27 AM
I purchased the above rifle from Deer Creek back in the 1990's to use as an elk rifle. The idea was to use a long and heavy bullet with 60 gr or so of black powder. I never ended up using it.

Now I am interested in shooting paper with it. Does anyone have experience with this rifle? What would be the proper diameter ball and patch size for light target loads and what would be a good powder charge?
What would be a good conical size and weight and powder charge? I'm after a traditional bullet not modern day saboted pistol stuff.

Also, has anyone used paper patched bullets in this rifle?

Light recoil is desired. This piece has beautiful curly maple wood and fits me perfectly. After nearly 20 years I'm finally motivated to try it out without having to experiment much.

Thanks

Boerrancher
08-11-2012, 05:58 AM
After nearly 20 years I'm finally motivated to try it out without having to experiment much.

Thanks

Good luck with that. I have owned 30+ muzzle loaders over the years, and have yet to have any two that were even close to the same as far as what they liked to shoot for hunting loads much less a target load. It is the journey, not the destination that is oft times the most fulfilling.

With that said, if the rifle has a fast twist you can almost completely write off patched round balls, unless you load them light, 15 to 25 grains of powder, and they still might not shoot well enough to squirrel hunt with much less punch paper accurately. Patch thickness, start with .012 to .015 pillow ticking or muslin. Lube, start with spit, it always works and seems to be the best patch lube for paper.

When it comes to conicals, you are going to have to pick the brains of other folks. Idaho Ron has posted volumes on conical shooting in this forum. I would go back and read all of his posts dealing with the subject and pay close attention. His "Hot Rod Hawken" thread is a good place to start. When dealing with these old style guns there simply is no magic formula that will give you the proper load that shoots good. Each gun will tell you what it likes if you shoot it enough and pay attention to what it tells you each trip to the range.

Best wishes,

Joe

Nobade
08-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Measure the bore diameter and twist rate. That will tell you where to start. BTW, could you post a picture of the rifle? I don't remember exactly what they look like and am not sure how strong they are. Some rifles don't need to be shooting conical bullets and others are quite well suited to them.

idahoron
08-11-2012, 08:22 PM
I don't know what that gun is either. If it has a .451 barrel with 1-30 twist or faster I would try the RCBS 11mm bullet. They come out at .446 and after a couple wraps of #9 onion skin these bullets are amazing. I use an over powder wad with 80 gr of Pyrodex P. Like Bore Rancher said look for Hot Rod Hawken that is the gun I use them in. Ron

rjathon
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
http://russking.smugmug.com/Other/test/i-srQLB6M/0/L/Mowrey-L.jpg

How do you measure the bore on these?

As I recall the recommended load was for heavy bullets and 60 grains of powder.

Nobade
08-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Aah, now I remember those rifles. With the way it's breeched up it should be quite strong. To measure the bore size, use pin gauges. If you don't have a set stop by your local machine shop and see if they'll pin it for you.

With a 1:30 twist it should stabilize a boolit 1 inch or less. Probably around 350 grains or so, I'd guess. Idahoron's suggestion is a good one, or you could size down heavier 45 Colt boolits.

Watch the nipple for erosion. Shooting conicals raises the pressure quite a bit compared to balls, and the nipples don't last long. You'll know it when the accuracy falls off or it starts to cock itself...

idahoron
08-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Nobade, has good advise. The RCBS bullet on paper is too long for the 1-30 twist. It rocks out of mine. I don't know why some guns like some bullets but when you find the right combo it can be magic. Ron

Tatume
08-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Cool! I have one of these in 36 caliber. Take care, Tom

451 Pete
08-13-2012, 04:01 PM
You also mentioned shooting a round ball and patch thru this rifle. With light loads of about 30-40 grains of 3fg. powder it should be doable and fairly accurate for short distance target or small game.

just my thoughts ... Pete

KCSO
08-13-2012, 04:23 PM
The Mowrey went through so many different owners and parts suppliers that they only thing you can do is measure and guess. BUT I have had real good luck shooting round ball in fast twist barrels with light powder charges. A 490 Ball and a 15 thou patch in a 1-28 barrel is shouting very well out to 50 yards with just 40 grains of FFg powder. I would GUESS that if you start between 30-40 grains and work around you willl find a good target load.

rjathon
08-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the encouragement to try reduced loads with round balls. Although I bought it to use as an elk rifle my only use for it now is on paper from 25-100 yds at our monthly shoot. I currently shoot a 36 cal with 15 gr at 25yds, 25 gr at 50, and 35 gr at 100. A .490 round ball with 30 gr of powder will seem like a magnum!

Both this rifle and my 35 Underhammer came from Deer Creek in Waldron, IN. They made excellent barrels.

451 Pete
08-14-2012, 08:13 AM
rjathon,

This didnt register with me until I read your last post here this morning, Deer Creek is still in business, in fact I was at thier shop about a year back. It would not suprise me that you could contact them and they would have the original loading data sheet with the loading recommendations for your rifle from Mowery. They can be contacted at Deer Creek Products P.O. Box 246 , Waldron , Indiana 46182 or phone 765-525-6181.

Pete

rjathon
08-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Thank you Pete, I will contact them soon.

I tried some patched round balls today with both 30 and 40 grains of Goex 3F and accuracy was not good. This barrel has had < 25 rounds through it could it improve with age?

The qualities that made this rifle a good choice for a traditional elk rifle- light weight to carry and high sectional density bullets for penetration will end up possibly unsuitable as a target rifle- too much recoil for volume shooting. 30 gr FFG + a roundball was OK but the thought of doubling the powder charge and bullet weight is worrisome.

On a good note I cleaned it with Butch's Bore Shine for Muzzleloaders and it was so quick and easy! I use 777 in my Underhammer because it cleans up so easily but now that is no longer an issue.

I hope to try some conicals this weekend along with obtaining some expert help at Friendship. I will report back. Thank you all for the help,

Russ