PDA

View Full Version : No big deal, I just thought it was cool

Buckshot
07-13-2005, 01:25 AM
http://www.fototime.com/9B0D0524E52D685/standard.jpg
I was in production mode the other day making hollowpoint pin spindles. I was peeling off .125" with a .0025" feed at 600 rpm. The smoke form the cutting oil was getting so bad I had to put a pedestal fan to my right. I was cutting 1/2" HRS and had 2 tools zeroed in their QC holders to form the part. A .100" cutoff blade and a bit with a 1/16" nose radius (working in the pic).

Doesn't take too long to convert a 3' rod of HRS into these spindles :-D

............Buckshot

Willbird
07-13-2005, 07:50 AM
Are you using inserted carbide ??

I knew a guy who was an 07/02 manufacture of class 3 toys, he swore by the cold air guns, they use a LOT of compressed air tho. The metered drop systems that use the oil as thick as honey work excellant, but they arent cheap either, nice thing is the chips end up dry and powdery....from the literature that came with one we had at a past job they even use them on woodworking equip.

Bill

Buckshot
07-14-2005, 04:39 AM
............Willbird, no carbide insert here. Rex Crucible M7 HSS and good ole Sta-Lube cutting oil. Normally I'd use carbide if peeling off a bunch and then HSS with a good radius to finish. In this application the Rex bit was doing so well (it's one of my finishers with a 1/8" diameter nose) I used it. One less tool to change. It wasn't showing any buildup or pocketing. I hadn't stoned it before I started, but did freshen it up after about 10 pieces.

It would be nice if they were as good, but I bought some 'import' 3/8" bits from ENCO on sale. They were from India and all it said was HSS, 3/8x3/8 and India on'em. I suppose they'd be okay for brass and aluminum. I ground one up to use on some steel and the edge cratered up so bad by the 3rd piece the surface looked like I was threading, or using a fork or something.

That was a lesson for me. Even though they cost 3 or 4 times as much for the same sized bit, good American made HSS cutting bits are the ONLY way to go. Plus they last.

.............Buckshot