PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Back Old Friend

Char-Gar
08-10-2012, 06:31 PM
When I started handloading about 1958 my mentor (Worth Palmer) gave me a typewriter ribbon can about half filled with powdered graphite to use as an inside neck lube to keep the expander on the die from draging. I used it for a score of years until it got lost in one of my many moves.

I have never found anything that worked better as a neck lube (inside and outside). Just dip the case neck in the graphite and tap it against the can rim to dislodge any excess. Talk about slick!

Well, I just bought a 1 pound can of Microfyne Graphite from Southwestern Graphite in Lousiana. Boy is this stuff just the huckleberry. I had almost forgotton how good it is. 1 pounds should be good for at least three generations of loaders. Now, where is the heck can I find a metal typewriter ribbon can? They have been long gone for many years.

Jack Stanley
08-10-2012, 06:37 PM
You could use the stuff a little quicker if ya start mixing it with bullet lube [smilie=s:

I have a little tin about the size of an Imperial die wax can that's lasted about forever but then , I haven't been loading since '58 either . Come to think of it I sometimes use die wax too .

Jack

Char-Gar
08-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Hah..Ebay to the rescue. They have "vintage" typewriter ribbon cans and not to expensive. I am bidding on one. I am so retro!!

Sonnypie
08-10-2012, 06:50 PM
You might consider a plastic electrical tape container.
Much easier than a vintage can. ;)

303Guy
08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Nope. The vintage can is the way to go. Old memories bring back a lot of pleasure!:drinks:

shotman
08-10-2012, 07:35 PM
so does many other things do they sell a "refit" for the lower part on feebay????

MT Gianni
08-10-2012, 07:42 PM
For the non nostalgic out there a snoose can of even one of the powdered jerky plastic cans is easy to find.

1Shirt
08-10-2012, 08:00 PM
"Just the huckleberry!"
Great phrase, first time I have run in to it!
1Shirt!

C.F.Plinker
08-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Try the cans that pellets for air rifles come in. Beemans have a friction top and the Daisy cans have a screw top.

Bret4207
08-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Hah..Ebay to the rescue. They have "vintage" typewriter ribbon cans and not to expensive. I am bidding on one. I am so retro!!

Not at all Chagar. I will only make my world famous biscuits if I can cut them out with the metal Davis baking powder can my grandmother used. Some things are just done a certain way old boy, poor form to do otherwise!

Char-Gar
08-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Not at all Chagar. I will only make my world famous biscuits if I can cut them out with the metal Davis baking powder can my grandmother used. Some things are just done a certain way old boy, poor form to do otherwise!

The man who gave me that can filled with graphite was on of the most significant men in my teen years. I looked up to him for many reasons and held him (and still do) in very high esteem. To dip a rifle case neck into graphite filled typewriter tin, brings back that connection if only for a minute.

The same thing happens every time you cut out a biscuit. This whole things is not about biscuits or case neck lubrication, it is about people, our connection with them and good days that once were.

goofyoldfart
08-10-2012, 11:59 PM
@Char-Gar: " The same thing happens every time you cut out a biscuit. This whole things is not about biscuits or case neck lubrication, it is about people, our connection with them and good days that once were."

Never was such a statement so TRUE, my friend. It's good to hear that repeated! God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy

Longwood
08-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Look for "Super 8" film cans at garage sales etc. They are about perfect for much of what we do.

Bret4207
08-11-2012, 08:38 AM
The man who gave me that can filled with graphite was on of the most significant men in my teen years. I looked up to him for many reasons and held him (and still do) in very high esteem. To dip a rifle case neck into graphite filled typewriter tin, brings back that connection if only for a minute.

The same thing happens every time you cut out a biscuit. This whole things is not about biscuits or case neck lubrication, it is about people, our connection with them and good days that once were.

We're on the same page. I have my grandmothers potato peeler too. That thing must be 60 years old or more. Still works best for me. I have no idea how many hundreds of pounds of potatoes "Me me" used it on, but I'm sure I've run a couple thousand through it. I have and still use almost daily the shovel my Dad kept on our ho'made dump trailer. We owned a bar and restaurant and back in those days you took your own trash to the dump. This was pre- plastic trash bags too. So all the trash went into the dump trailer (which I also still have) and 2 or 3 times a week we'd hitch it up to the family station wagon and we'd tow it a few miles to the dump. I'd crank the boat winch and the box would lift and then Dad would scrape the gunk out with that same shovel I'm using today. It was mounted to the trailer with a couple of galvanized pipe hangers and stood upright there for as long as I can remember. I touch it and I see and hear my Dad.

Yup, I gotcha. Gonna go blow my nose now.

Wayne Smith
08-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Don't have too much from my Dad. Watch, but that was Grandpa's. Pistol, but that was Grandma's. I have his 30-30, and good memories with that.

As far as graphite goes, I have some shot in a medicine bottle with graphite dumped into that. Shake it up, dip the necks in, and you have lubrication. It's easier with the shot.

Shiloh
08-11-2012, 08:13 PM
When I started handloading about 1958 my mentor (Worth Palmer) gave me a typewriter ribbon can about half filled with powdered graphite to use as an inside neck lube to keep the expander on the die from draging. I used it for a score of years until it got lost in one of my many moves.

I have never found anything that worked better as a neck lube (inside and outside). Just dip the case neck in the graphite and tap it against the can rim to dislodge any excess. Talk about slick!

Well, I just bought a 1 pound can of Microfyne Graphite from Southwestern Graphite in Lousiana. Boy is this stuff just the huckleberry. I had almost forgotton how good it is. 1 pounds should be good for at least three generations of loaders. Now, where is the heck can I find a metal typewriter ribbon can? They have been long gone for many years.

Good for you Char-Gar !!!

I thought the same think about Sucrets boxes. You know, the small metal rectangle shaped tins with rounded corners and the hinged top??

They don't make them any more.

Shiloh

slim1836
08-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Skoal smokeless tobacco containers work well also.

Slim

Longwood
08-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Good for you Char-Gar !!!

I thought the same think about Sucrets boxes. You know, the small metal rectangle shaped tins with rounded corners and the hinged top??

They don't make them any more.

Shiloh

Uh huh! I just bought some a couple of weeks ago, just for the can.
Toss them in a stove or fire to burn the paint off then paint them a new color.

Longwood
08-11-2012, 09:25 PM
One nice thing about some of the small round cans was the lid would also slip onto the bottom.
I used them a lot for small parts etc.
If you put a layer of lead shot into the lid then sit the bottom into the top,,, light weight stuff is a lot less likely to get spilled.

Moonie
08-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Not to take anything away from the touchstone of having the ribbon container but I use a prescription bottle half full with #9 shot, add a shot of graphite every now and then. Shake before using to distribute the graphite, works great, deposits just the right amount on the necks, you can tap on the side of the container if you wish, the weight of the shot keeps it stable.

I'm sure this is something I picked up here somewhere.

wiljen
08-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Uh huh! I just bought some a couple of weeks ago, just for the can.
Toss them in a stove or fire to burn the paint off then paint them a new color.

Altoids come in those same shaped little metal cans too. My place is littered with them.

H.Callahan
08-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Empty shoe polish containers work well, too!

Longwood
08-14-2012, 12:18 PM
I used to think those little magnetic part pans worked well.
It did not take me long to see that they will sometimes magnify a tool or part enough so when you take out a large part etc, it can, and often will, pick a small part up out of the pan then drop it at the worst possible time.

trixter
08-14-2012, 12:43 PM
"Just the huckleberry!"
Great phrase, first time I have run in to it!
1Shirt!

Doc Holiday used a similar line in 'Tombstone'. He said "I'm your huckleberry".
It was just a classic.

Char-Gar
08-14-2012, 01:09 PM
I have used the word "huckleberry" all of my life. It is like saying "It is just what your need or want"..i.e...That gun is just the huckleberry. Most of the early Texans came from the South and brought their speech with them.

Much of this kind of speech is passing away as the younger folks have been influenced by radio and television, not to mention the hord or yankees that have invaded us in the past few decades. I was raised by my Grandparents born in 1886 and 1891 so I am kind of a throwback to different times.

Sometimes, I don't realize that everybody doesn't talk like I do.

P.S.: John Henry Holiday was from Valdosta Georgia.

smoked turkey
08-16-2012, 11:37 PM
This is one of the best threads I've read lately. I have the graphite/shot already. Mine is in a 35 mm plastic film container. It works OK but it is not nearly the same as Char-Gar's set up. Now for some reason I have this strong desire for biscuits in the morning! Somehow I don't think they will quite measure up to those cut from the old baking powder can. Thanks for the memories.

Bret4207
08-17-2012, 07:52 AM
I have used the word "huckleberry" all of my life. It is like saying "It is just what your need or want"..i.e...That gun is just the huckleberry. Most of the early Texans came from the South and brought their speech with them.

Much of this kind of speech is passing away as the younger folks have been influenced by radio and television, not to mention the hord or yankees that have invaded us in the past few decades. I was raised by my Grandparents born in 1886 and 1891 so I am kind of a throwback to different times.

Sometimes, I don't realize that everybody doesn't talk like I do.

P.S.: John Henry Holiday was from Valdosta Georgia.

Ay-yuh, know what you mean. I still use some of the older New England phrases passed down from my maternal grandmother. OF course in this area, "Eh?" is ubiquitous being right next to Ontario.

popper
08-17-2012, 09:16 AM
huckleberry - I thought that was a breed of dog! 35mm film cans, pop or screw top.

Char-Gar
08-17-2012, 09:50 AM
This thread about "making do with what you have" take me back to the old Shooter.com days, where it was considered some sort of social error to buy anything you could make.

I bought a Patch Hog from Sinclair to catch the patches that came out of the rifle's muzzle and thought it was such a neat thing, I made the mistake of posting about it. You would have thought I had declared Motherhood obsolete! They got after me so hard for buying something that I could have made that I never did that again. Heck, one said, just use a plastic bag from the grocery store over the muzzle held by a rubber band from the newspaper!

Recycle, reuse, make do, improvise be creative, but never never buy anything, particularily from high end suppliers like Sinclair! Those were good days with folks who did more to advance the craft of Cast Bullet shooting than several previous generations had accomplished.

Longwood
08-17-2012, 10:35 AM
huckleberry - I thought that was a breed of dog! 35mm film cans, pop or screw top.

I remember watching out for bears, while picking the berries.

Longwood
08-17-2012, 10:45 AM
take me back to the old Shooter.com.

Recycle, reuse, make do, improvise be creative, but never never buy anything, particularily from high end suppliers like Sinclair!

Old .com days?????

I would rater make something myself, than work at a lousy job, to get paid a lousy amount of money, to give it to another company that is charging too much, in order to make a very few people rich while they pay their help a lousy wage.

Char-Gar
08-17-2012, 11:25 AM
shooters.com was the original board that brought the founders of this board together. When it went belly up, there was a migration through a couple of places until 45nut set up this place and invited us to lite here.

Longwood
08-17-2012, 11:36 AM
shooters.com was the original board that brought the founders of this board together. When it went belly up, there was a migration through a couple of places until 45nut set up this place and invited us to lite here.

When someone calls .com days "Old" it makes me feel "Ancient".
:roll:

Char-Gar
08-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Well it was about 97 or 98 when I got involved. I don't think that qualifies it for being ancient. I would just thinking about when things got started. I guess I should have said former shooters.com.

I don't know how old somebody has to be, in order to be ancient, but in my case, the petrification process has started.