PDA

View Full Version : Junk Shop find today.

Trey45
08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Stopped at a new junk shop today, I think today might be the first day they were open. Not much there, but they had an American Flag folded up for sale, I looked at the label, it's an all cotton Valley Forge brand, made in the USA. I offered the guy 20 bucks for it and he accepted. I got it home and unfolded it, it's one of the big ones! a 5x9 1/2! It looks brand new and the material is still stiff, I don't think this flag has ever been flown or displayed. Initially I was thinking I would hang the flag in my shop, but now I'm thinking about having a flag pole erected so I can fly this Flag the way it's supposed to be flown!

Would a 20 foot pole be enough? And where would I even go to look for one, do hardware stores carry these? Like Lowes?

gbrown
08-10-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't know about Lowe's, but I bought one from Sutherlands, and I believe Home Depot carries them. Should be able to carry the flag of the size you indicate. Easy to put in--with a fence post digger.

bruce drake
08-10-2012, 01:46 PM
5x9.5 are the dimensions of a flag designed to be draped over a veteran's casket.

You should look for a 5x8 flag if you wish to display a standard-sized flag outdoors.

I'd recommend that your new flag to be reserved for more ceremonial purposes.

Here's a link that sells American Made flags and stands.

http://www.embassyflag.com/usaflags.htm

Bruce

Trey45
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Would it be in bad taste to fly the flag on Veterens Day, Memorial Day and July 4th, and fly a standard flag the rest of the time?

bruce drake
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
The Flag Code makes no reference to this use. There is a difference of opinion. Some feel that once folded, it should remain so forever. Other feel that it would be an honor to display the flag again to show patriotism. Casket flags are 9-1/2'x5' which is almost twice larger than the usual 5'x3' house flag.

If you choose to fly the flag, you would have to ensure that you had an additional snap hook on the flag pole's halyard to ensure that the flag is properly spread and not loose on the line with the standard 3' spread of snap hooks.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

Boz330
08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Do not leave the cotton flag out in the sun for any length of time since the sun will destroy it post haste. Special holidays should be no problem though. for an everyday flag spend the extra couple dollars on a polyester flag. It will last about twice as long as the nylon ones.

A 20 ft pole is a little short for a 9.5ft long flag. The 4'X6' looks pretty good on a 20 ft pole but for the bigger one you might go to a 25' or 30'.
A friend of mine owns this flag company and you might find some useful info on their sight. http://oatesflag.com/

Bob

Trey45
08-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks fellows. I've decided that this internment flag will not be flown, ever. I'll stick with a household size flag and be happy with that. In retrospect, if I had known that this Valley Forge flag I bought today was the kind of flag it is, I would not have bought it.

runfiverun
08-10-2012, 05:59 PM
remember that the stars go in the upper left hand corner no matter how you display it.

rexherring
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
The wishes of a widow here was to use her husbands casket flag for the Boy Scouts. So we had an upholstry shop cut it down to proper size and now use it for special camps on a 45 ft. pole.

Bad Water Bill
08-10-2012, 06:31 PM
If I had seen it and recognized it for what it was I would definitely have rescued it from the JUNK YARD and created a place of honor for it to be displayed as intended.

TAMU74
08-10-2012, 07:11 PM
One other option you have is to get one of the triangular display cases made for these flags, and dedicate it to a deceased veteran that is special to you or to honor those who lie known only to God.

WILCO
08-10-2012, 11:59 PM
If I had seen it and recognized it for what it was I would definitely have rescued it from the JUNK YARD and created a place of honor for it to be displayed as intended.

Well said!!!

Blacksmith
08-11-2012, 12:37 AM
You might find a American Leigon or VFW that would be glad to have it.

Gliden07
08-11-2012, 01:26 AM
My Great Uncle died in WWII. When my Great Aunt died we were cleaning out her house and I found his Purple Heart the letter from the State Dept and the Flag they presented my Great Aunt with. I wanted to make a Memorial to him and display it in my home (include all of the above and a Picture of him in his uniform) can I do this or is this considered disrepectful??

nicholst55
08-11-2012, 02:38 AM
My Great Uncle died in WWII. When my Great Aunt died we were cleaning out her house and I found his Purple Heart the letter from the State Dept and the Flag they presented my Great Aunt with. I wanted to make a Memorial to him and display it in my home (include all of the above and a Picture of him in his uniform) can I do this or is this considered disrepectful??

Absolutely not disrespectful! I think it's one of the greatest signs of respect that you can show to the man, personally.

ilcop22
08-11-2012, 03:14 AM
The other point (even though you've decided not to fly it) is that you must be at the ready to take down cotton flags during any inclement weather. Only synthetic flags are allowed to be flown all-weather.

Trey45
08-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Bad Water Bill, I don't know where you got JUNK YARD from, when I think of a junk yard I think of a scrap heap of rusting junk waiting for the shredder, I would have rescued a flag from there no matter what kind it was. However I said it was a junk shop. Maybe second hand shop would relay what type of shop it was better. Regardless, money is too hard to come by for me, and buying a flag to never fly wasn't on my agenda, hence why I wouldn't have bought it, it had nothing to do with showing respect or not showing it, it's a matter of finance plain and simple.

RKJ
08-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Trey,
I'm not a Flag etiquette expert (and no offense meant to anyone) but I am an Army vet and a retired USN CPO, my FIL is a AF vet and my Dad was also a Navy (WWII) vet. The reason I say all that is: I feel that if you want to display your flag on special days then go for it. I believe it would be a nice tribute to any vets. I would be very proud if once I'm gone if my sons took my flag and flew it on special occasions, they would be honoring me (and others). Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Trey45
08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
I'll probably hang it up in my shop, I have 14 foot ceilings in there so I definitely have the height I would need to hang it properly.

bruce drake
08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I'll probably hang it up in my shop, I have 14 foot ceilings in there so I definitely have the height I would need to hang it properly.

It is nice to see you know the significance of the flag and you can use it to educate others who come into your shop as well.

Bruce

fatnhappy
08-11-2012, 09:23 PM
My grandfather was in the 3rd ID at the battle of Marne. I have and fly his flag on memorial day.

Firebricker
08-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Trey, If you would rather have a standard size flag I'd be happy to buy yours. Post #11 would be a great idea for my wife one of her sisters got the flag from their fathers funeral. FB

Trey45
08-12-2012, 09:15 AM
I appreciate the offer, but I have already cleaned the wall from floor to ceiling and have the flag hung up. I've been looking at those telescopic flag poles online, I'll probably save up for one of those with a 3x5 flag and fly that.

oldgeezershooter
08-12-2012, 03:10 PM
I did the same thing, found a nice 8X5 flag at a Goodwill sale for twenty bucks. Took it home and found it had 48 stars.
We fly it at the ranch for special get togethers.

Bad Water Bill
08-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I just found this listing of official flag days in every state.

Days to fly your flag
By Silence Dogood in Flag

Every patriotic person wishes to display their flag everyday, but it is especially important that the flag be displayed on certain holidays, dates of state admission, and days declared by the President. Here is a list of these days, including when the flag should be flown at half staff.
Days to fly the U.S. Flag Holiday Date Half Staff
New Year’s Day January 1st
Georgia January 2nd
Alaska January 3rd
Utah January 4th
New Mexico January 6th
Connecticut January 9th
New Year’s Day January 1st
Inauguration Day January 20th
Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday 3rd Monday in January
Michigan January 26th
Kansas January 29th
Massachusetts February 6th
Oregon February 14th
Arizona February 14th
Washington’s birthday 3rd Monday in February
Nebraska March 1st
Florida March 3rd
Vermont March 4th
Maine March 15th
Easter Sunday First Sunday after the first full moon on or after March 21
Maryland April 28th
Louisiana April 30th
Minnesota May 11th
Mother’s Day 2nd Sunday in May
Peace Officer’s Memorial Day May 15th Half-staff
Armed Forces Day 3rd Saturday in May
Memorial Day Last Monday in May Half-staff until noon
South Carolina May 23rd
Rhode Island May 29th
Wisconsin May 29th
Kentucky June 1st
Tennessee June 1st
Flag Day June 14th
Arkansas June 15th
Father’s Day 3rd Sunday in June
West Virginia June 20th
New Hampshire June 21st
Virginia June 25th
Idaho July 3rd
Independence Day July 4th
Wyoming July 10th
New York July 26th
Korean War Veteran’s Day July 27th Half-staff
Colorado August 1st
Missouri August 10th
Hawaii August 21st
Labor September 1st
California September 9th
Patriot Day September 11th Half-staff
Constitution Day September 17th
Gold Star Mother’s Day September 18th
Columbus Day 2nd Monday in October
Navy Day October 27th
Nevada October 31st
North Dakota November 2nd
South Dakota November 2nd
National Election Day November 4th
Montana November 8th
Marine Corps Day November 10th
Veteran’s Day November 11th
Washington November 11th
Oklahoma November 16th
North Carolina November 21st
Illinois December 3rd
Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day December 7th Half-staff
Delaware December 7th
Mississippi December 10th
Indiana December 11th
Pennsylvania December 12th
Alabama December 14th
New Jersey December 14th
Christmas Day December 25th
Iowa December 28th
Texas December 29th

Trey45
08-12-2012, 04:35 PM
WOW, thanks Bill, I saved the list.

ErikO
08-17-2012, 10:00 AM
one other option you have is to get one of the triangular display cases made for these flags, and dedicate it to a deceased veteran that is special to you or to honor those who lie known only to god.

^^^ this!

Also, if you fly the flag after dusk it should be properly lit.

fatnhappy
08-19-2012, 02:33 AM
I have already cleaned the wall from floor to ceiling and have the flag hung up.

I invoke rool 16

Geraldo
08-19-2012, 11:23 AM
I think it's great that you bought it and will honor it appropriately.

Also, to add to BWB's list, remember that to fly a flag at half staff, it is first raised all the way up, then lowered to half staff.

Flag Code can be found here: http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf