PDA

View Full Version : A small victory of sorts

edler7
08-09-2012, 09:53 PM
I got a couple shooting buddies that are youngsters- 18 & 25. I've known them since they were sprouts and have hunted with them on occasions. Lately they have both shown interest in shooting, the younger of the 2 buying himself a 308 for a high school graduation present to himself. We have started loading for it to save him some $$$ so he can shoot more. His dad isn't in this area, so I am always glad to help out in these areas.

Today, they wanted to go to the range and asked if they could bring their grandad and uncle from out of town along to shoot. I said sure. Turns out the uncle was a social worker from New York and all he knew about guns was he didn't like them.

We shot rifles first- the 308, my M1 and a .44 lever action. Uncle hung back a bit at first, but we got him behind all 3 rifles and he kind of seemed to be enjoying it. I explained stuff to him, answered questions and generally helped him out.

After rifles, we went to the pistol range plate racks with a 1911 in .45 and a .357 revolver. He was ready to shoot both and turned out to be a fair shot with the 1911. By the time we were done, he had gone through the lion's share of .45 ACP and was having a ball. He even had his picture taken with the 1911 to show his friends back east.

He told me when we were done that he had no idea shooting could be such fun. I told him it wasn't all about rambo, cammo and shooting everything that moves. He said that was pretty much his impression of the sport up to today. He knows a guy back east that has a gun collection and thinks he will see if he can go to the range with him...something he never would have done before today.

Grandad didn't shoot a lot, but he shot everything and enjoyed himself. I think he enjoyed watching his grandsons, who are becoming fairly proficient shooters.

All in all, I think shooting sports had a small victory with Uncle Richard today.

OBIII
08-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Mega points for you for your patience and understanding. Showing an Anti some baby steps and having him come to a different point of view, is outstanding. He must not be a "True" Liberal as he was willing to acknowledge "Facts", something that Liberals never do. Keep up the good fight.

runfiverun
08-10-2012, 12:34 AM
some of the most fun i have had at the range were day's i never pulled the trigger.
i have taught several young ladies to shoot and a couple of young men...
working them up from a 22 revolver through the supermags [the supermagnums always seem to bring a big smile to thier face]
and from 22 rifles up till they didn't want any more recoil [a few of the girls wanted to try more than the 45/70]
it's pretty cool to teach teenage girls the art of casting a boolit too.
they'll most likely never cast again but they understand it isn't life threatening. :lol:

Bad Water Bill
08-10-2012, 09:12 AM
For many years our range had a BEGINNERS DAY every year. I will never forget the smiles on the new shooters faces. They ranged from about 4-5 to a pair of grandmothers in their 70+ year.

I am not sure who enjoyed it the most, US or the NEWBIES.

Unfortunately the property has a new manager (politics all the way down the line to new range masters) and 60+ boats and electric motors are missing from the 1200 acre lake ,1/2 of the campgrounds is closed. One of the new range masters NEVER leaves his position of feet on the desk reading a book. I am not sure he even knows what the lines on the concrete are for as he never tells any shooters anything short of how to fill out the registration form.

If they should ever decide to undertake another beginners shoot they will need all new sponsors as well as instructors. Oh yes we all owned the targets the beginners shot at and we took our goodies home with us as well as the guns and ammo which we provided at our own expense.

The old sponsors nor ourselves want to be present when the inevitable happens and someone is hurt.

Lawyers cost more money than this OLD man wants to think about so I no longer frequent the range.

bobthenailer
08-10-2012, 10:59 AM
To convert a non shooter / a person who did not like them ! PRICELESS !

Really there are alot of people who would like to try shooting out but have no idea who to ask or where to go. Ive never taken a newbe shooting who did not like it when they were done shooting for the day

edler7
08-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Like the line in the old commercial- "Try it, you'll like it !".

Hopefully the experience will stick around when he gets back in his usual habitat, and he doesn't revert to his old ways. He really did seem to enjoy himself.

1Shirt
08-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Like the idea of a beginners day. Might change the minds of some of the anti's if you could get them to a range.
1Shirt!

Silvercreek Farmer
08-12-2012, 04:58 PM
One of my favorite things to do with house guests is take them into my pasture and let them shoot a couple of my guns. I believe all have shot before, but like most folks, life gets busy and shooting is not a priority so it falls be the wayside. And yes the magnums do put a smile on their face! Especially when they realize how shootable they can be in a well designed pistol.

Chihuahua Floyd
08-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Simply put
Ya done good!
CF

daniel lawecki
08-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Every year on good friday I take several people from work shooting. None of them own any guns. I supply all ammo and firearms. This has been going on for about 3yrs. I try to get different people every time. Changing minds one at a time:D

popper
08-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Playing coke-botle basketball in the garage today with 2 GKs. One started asking questions about the reloading press, found some CBs under the WB, began to ask question. Being the old grumpa I am, told them to leave it alone, BUT maybe their dad would take them shooting some day. They need a good dose of responsibility before they start, but they show interest. I can hope. I've notices several church groups having class shooting events, getting the libs to try shooting and from what I hear, results are pretty good.

ErikO
08-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Careful getting those Libs addicted to shooting, they might start coming here. Then again, I could use the company. ;)

Any time that folks get drawn out from their comfort zone to try something new that expands their views is a good thing. Every new shooter means one less person for increased gun restrictions or at least a better chance than if they didn't go shooting. Nicely done!