PDA

View Full Version : What is Kitty Litter

MT Gianni
05-09-2007, 07:26 PM
I did some work at a plant that makes Kitty Litter today. They mix straw, either barley or wheat with bentonite and super dry it. It is then pelletized for bagging. I use it on top of my mix to prevent oxidization. The bentonite forms the glue like mass that stays on top. Just figured it was worth sharing. Gianni

targetshootr
05-09-2007, 07:29 PM
One time I tried it alone in the tumbler but it left dust all over the cases. That was before I found corn cob at WallyWorld even cheaper.

WHITETAIL
05-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Their are guys and gals out there that use kitty litter on top of the pot to keep the heat in the pot. But when I tried it I did not like it.

DLCTEX
05-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I hadn't heard of using kitty litter to keep the heat in the pot, just to provide an oxygen barrier to reduce oxadation. I guess it would have som insulating qualities, though. Dale

DLCTEX
05-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I hadn't heard of using kitty litter to keep the heat in the pot, just to provide an oxygen barrier to reduce oxadation. I guess it would have some insulating qualities, though. Dale

Char-Gar
05-10-2007, 06:58 AM
When I learned of Kitty Litter on top of the melt, it changed my whole casting life. It does away with the need to continualy flux the melt. Melt..Flux..Kitty Litter...cast..cast..cast.

T-Bird
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
I assume you guys use kitty litter in bottom pour pots. I use a ladle. Any of you try it with a ladle pour "system"--- you know everything is a "system" nowdays. Shoot Straight, T-Bird

leftiye
05-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I've just got to say this- crushed charcoal briquets!

Marlin Junky
05-10-2007, 07:19 PM
I assume you guys use kitty litter in bottom pour pots. I use a ladle. Any of you try it with a ladle pour "system"--- you know everything is a "system" nowdays. Shoot Straight, T-Bird

T-Bird,

I use about a 1/4" of plain wrap (clay) cat litter on top of my 40# Master Caster and a Rowell#2 ladle... I can't imagine a better way to pour quality boolits. I owned an RCBS ProMelt for a while and didn't like it.

MJ

drinks
05-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I cerainly hope you are not using recycled kitty litter!
;D

C A Plater
05-10-2007, 09:45 PM
My dad worked at an auto dealership and would bring home 50 pound bags of Oil Dry he'd get from the shop supplier to use as cat litter at home. Certainly a lot cheaper than the name brand stuff available at the time. Basically just granular bentonite clay.