PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for CVA Optima Pistol?

Okie2
08-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I got a wild hair & ordered the CVA Optimal Pistol...50 cal black powder...looks similiar to Thompson Contender...(they are legal for deer here). Rated to handle 100 grains of black powder with 209 primer. Anyone shot one or have ideas for cast bullets for it? I have a bunch of 45 molds & was thinking of a 200 grain h.p. mold & a sabot? I have an old 1.5 x 4 pistol scope that I'm going to throw on top & blast away. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Scott

Nobade
08-09-2012, 08:00 AM
We have the rifle version of one of those in the shop right now. Interesting device, I especially like the breech plug design. What you suggest should work fine, since that is what they are designed for.

Were it mine, I would change a couple of things. First would be to cut the barrel off until I got to rifling. The counterbore just can't help accuracy, but I realize it helps to load sabots. Once cut & crowned I'd shoot paper patched cast boolits in it, weight depending on the rifling twist.

The second thing I'd do is make a new breech plug to carry 25 ACP or 32 ACP or some other small pistol cartridge. The primers are way cheaper and the smaller blast they produce will improve accuracy considerably over 209 primers. The cases also will seal a lot better than 209s, and keep things cleaner. Of course 209s are required for shooting black powder subs since they are harder to ignite. I wouldn't so that, but rather use real BP and nothing else. Then there isn't any ignition problem and it will always work right.

But all this is just what I would do to mine. If you follow the instructions and use it as designed it should work just fine and be a lot of fun! Enjoy...

Boerrancher
08-09-2012, 08:08 AM
I think you will be fine with a 200 grain cast HP, but if it has a 1 in 28 twist, you may find that some of the 250 gr cast work well out of it. I know I have smacked several nice deer with my 45LC using the Lee 250gr RNFP boolit. I can honestly say that inside 100 yards that 250RNFP out of the 45LC is a drop dead right there in it's tracks boolit even with shot through the ribs, and you ought to be able to reach 1,100 to 1,200 FPS with the CVA Optima Pistol. The main thing to remember is use a soft alloy, of either pure lead or no harder than a 50/50 blend of WW and pure, since the Sabot is doing all of the work that you would need a harder alloy to do in a regular boolit.

Best wishes,

Joe

blackpowder man
08-09-2012, 12:02 PM
The March, 2012 Muzzleblasts had an article about shooting, loads, etc. one of those or the similar Traditions version. He was getting some pretty respectable groups. If you are interested and don't find the article on line or at the NMLRA website PM me and I''l dig out the issue and send you a copy of the article.

frontier gander
08-09-2012, 02:08 PM
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/....lay&thread=9596

http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/....lay&thread=9672

Okie2
10-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I finally got around to shooting this week. Slapped on a simmons 1.5 x 4 scope & secured it. Loaded 80 grains of BH 209 (It really is as clean as they say...3 patches & done...though it is hard to find). Used harvester sabot & some molded 45 cal hps @ 200 grains that I made for my 45 acp (group buy from this site).... Changed the breech plug with the one made for the BH powder & 209 primers. Wow... 1 1/2 inches @ nearly 50 yards without trying too hard.... Not too much kick...just gentle push (it's heavy). I'm really impressed for a $240 b/p pistol...now my primary muzzleloader for deer!!!

Nobade
10-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Good to hear it works for you! You have me wondering, since it's a non-gun in the eyes of the ATF, if it would be legal to build a buttstock for one kind of like a modern bicycle gun? Might make a very handy lightweight hunting tool. Sounds like it works just fine for deer as it is, though.