PDA

View Full Version : Walking on crutches inhales excessively

Mk42gunner
08-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Yesterday I had surgery (arthroscopy) on my right knee to repair a meniscus tear that has been bothering me for about three years. The Kansas City VA said they couldn't find anything wrong, but "Here's a cane." I think they lost interest when I wouldn't let them burn some nerves in my back.

The local doctor's office started taking Tricare some time in the last couple of years. Two months after the first office visit, I had my surgery done, after yet another MRI and seeing one of the travelling Orthopedists. He told me that there were two things I could do-- either try hoping and praying or surgery.

I told him I had been trying the hope, pray and rest thing for three years; let's do the surgery.

So far the knee doesn't really hurt; but it didn't hurt before the surgery either. It would allow me to walk normally just far enough to get into the truck then buckle on me. I started carrying a cane in my pickup so I wouldn't have to go back to the house every time.

Stitches come out next Tuesday, I really hope and pray this allows me to walk normally. I never have been a very good runner, but I had always been able to walk anywhere I wanted. I just want to get mobility back.

The worst things so far are those damn made in China crutches, and having to leave the ace bandage on until Friday.

Wish me luck please,

Robert

abqcaster
08-08-2012, 06:34 PM
wishing ya luck!

Bill*
08-08-2012, 07:33 PM
you don't want any of my luck...But I wish you well!

boltons75
08-08-2012, 07:38 PM
The crutches do suck, but after some time, and sore spots they get easier to use. I had my ankle trashed in a motorcycle wreck, good luck on your road to recovery.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Hamish
08-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Quit'cher bichin about the crutches, waddya want, a walker?

(I'm pulling for you, more than you know, I understand)

1Shirt
08-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Hang tough!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Wayne Smith
08-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Six weeks completely off one foot post surgery, several years ago. I feel your pain. Never want to do that again. Year or so later I saw a lady in a post surgical boot and a little scooter to put her leg up on and scoot around. That was a much better idea.

gray wolf
08-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Hope all is well for you soon.

nicholst55
08-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, Robert, I'm right behind you. I seriously damaged my right knee playing football, then nearly destroyed it in a fall down a flight of stairs when I was 16. Had extensive repair surgery, which lasted nearly 40 years. Then the blasted thing started to lock up on me - just momentarily. The Army doc I was seeing in Korea refused to even examine it until I lost some weight, which I did. My knee sorta quit bothering me for a while, so I put it off. Now, 35 pounds lighter, it's locking up again. The Navy doc I'm seeing now took one look, poked and prodded, twisted and turned, and said 'your meniscus cartilage is shot.' He referred me to a local orthopod, and my first appointment is next week. I'm sure surgery will follow shortly thereafter.

I kept my cane as a souvenir of my ruptured quadriceps tendon surgery and rehab in 2009-2010 (my other leg - the 'good' one!), so I've been using it this week The big, clunky safety shoes I have to wear at work make my whole leg hurt all night lately if I don't use it.

Crutches suck, canes blow, but not being able to walk is infinitely worse!

koehn,jim
08-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Hope everything goes good. I know about crutches had foot surgery 3 times.

Beau Cassidy
08-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Good luck with everything. It sounds like you need to see someone who actually knows something about orthopedics. Not that I would know....

SciFiJim
08-08-2012, 10:10 PM
My wife had knee surgery four weeks ago and dying of frustration with the crutches. You essentially loose the use of your hands to carry anything while using them. I've had two knee surgeries in the past and can completely relate to her frustration. I am being the good husband and carrying and fetching for her. Because of this, I thing she is keeping a suspicious eye on me and wondering what I am up to. ;)

Echo
08-08-2012, 10:11 PM
I had arthroscopic meniscus surgery about 4-5 years ago - no stitches, just 3 little holes, and everything was OK for a while, then it started giving me some problems, so went back to the orthopod. He said there wasn't anything he could do other than surgery to put in titanium stuff. I wasn't up for that then, so I passed.
Then a couple of months ago I stumbled over a 2" curb that shouldn't have been there, landing on my knee. Didn't break the skin, but my knee started complaining again. Long story short, I go in Monday @0530 for a new knee - whole surgery will take 35 minutes, according to the PA I talked to yesterday!
There are a LOT of us out there! (Folks that have had this surgery)

Mk42gunner
08-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Hey thanks for the kind words guys.

I think my main problem with the crutches is that they are either a half inch too long or too short, (thinking about doing a hacksaw mod to the length); plus I haven't got the technique for lifting them over stuff and the ends get tangled up.

Hamish, the physical therapist that first gave me the cane at the VA said it was either a cane or a walker..... She was the only one that ever even seemed to care about my knee.

Nicholst55, Funny thing about old injuries-- this is the same knee that I dropped a 350 short block on when I was 16. My cousin and I were helping a guy move, I was walking backwards and stepped off the edge of the side walk. I sure am glead that Tim yanked on the engine, it was headed right towards my stomach/pelvis. I still limped on it for about three weeks.

Beau, I think I have some good orthopedics docs right now. I'm just thoroughly disgusted with the VA medical system.

On a brighter note, we are getting a little bit of rain right now.

Robert

bob208
08-09-2012, 06:10 AM
i wish you luck. but i can tell you cruches are way better then hanging in traction for 2 1/2 months. the thomas traction splint is the greatest torture device.

Wal'
08-09-2012, 06:40 AM
Hang in there gunner, been there, took three years before like Echo they replaced my knee, sadly it was just worn out, & same story the damage done when younger comes back to bite you.

Echo it will never work like your original knee, about 75% but no more pain :smile:

& you're up walking on it the next day, will take 12 mths to be completely 100% but worth it.

popper
08-09-2012, 05:13 PM
Same response I got from my doc. Live with it or replace it. They still give rifles away with cars there?

Mk42gunner
08-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Not sure popper, I haven't heard them advertising it lately. I think it was mainly a gimmick to get free advertising from the media, anyway.

Knee seems to be getting better, I can walk a little on it without the crutches; but I haven't went very far yet. I have been keeping it iced down, that seems to work as good as the pills the doc gave me.

Since my sleep pattern has been screwy, I took a nap today when my knee started hurting from about 1:00 to 5:30 and it has felt better since I got up. I do hear some occasional clicking that I'll have to talk to the doc about; but it seems like a success so far.

Robert

firefly1957
08-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I pray your knee is in good repair now.

Wal'
08-10-2012, 03:08 AM
The clicking also worried me, but goes away after a while, either that or you cease to notice it. [smilie=p: :cbpour:

WILCO
08-10-2012, 09:35 AM
you don't want any of my luck...But I wish you well!

Ditto for me!

Olevern
08-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Good luck in your recovery. Don't undo what the docs did by not following the doc's orders.

41 mag fan
08-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Gunner I feel your pain.....all too much.
For me, it started last Oct. woke up to be exact on the date Oct 5th, middle of the night, right leg was killing me.
Thought it was because of my job as a mine examiner, it was just wore out.
Went like this for 3 weeks, till I woke up one morning, got up and fell right back down on the bed.
Went to the dr, took an xray, seen i had a Fracture in my shin bone on the big knob part, did an MRI, and found the Meniscus torn in the back of my leg.
Went to ortho dr, had surgery on Nov 11.
Told me 4 weeks and you'll be back to work!!
Boy was he full of BS. 7 weeks I went back to work, they put me right back to walking, wrong thing to do.
Went back off work for 4 days between christmas and new yrs.
ortho dr drained it and gave me my 1st cortizone.
Went back to work, 6 wks restriction of no walking, 6 weeks 1 day back to walking.
That was in March i started examining again, 1 week of walking back, back in again to ortho dr.
This time he drained again, did the lubrication shot and cortizone again.
Went well till they put me to walking weekly air courses in April, plus preshifting.
Lasted till June, back in again...another Cortizone.
Lasted till a week ago this past Monday.
Back in again, another cortizone and he put me on med leave for the week.

back to work this week, knees hurting on the inside again. Swellings gone for now.
In my job, i walk 5-7mi in a 1 1/2 hr period daily doing preshift, when weekly air courses is added on tuesdays and Wed, i'll walk 4 hrs non stop, then turn around and start preshift, with maybe 30 min inbetween to take a break...and thats a sometimes variable due to rides, ect.

Walking undergrounds nothing like walking on the pavement or sidewalks on the surface.
I'm either walking on bumpy ground that'll have holes up to my knees or i'm walking on rocks that have fallen out of the top, from anywhere the size that falls and hits you, you give it a good cussing to rocks that weigh a few tons that if they hit you will be going out in a body bag.
I've got rocks constantly twists your ankle when you walk over them, have to walk on 6" waterlines due to no ground to walk on, or just the constant up and down in holes and over rocks.
Long story short, if you got a job that you have to walk like me, take the time to let it heal, and dont over do it. It's not worth the trouble i have and am having with mine.
43 yrs old and my knees about shot and getting worse.

So take care of your knee and i wish you the best of luck on your surgery.