PDA

View Full Version : How do You cool molds while casting?

07-12-2005, 08:58 PM
While casting with my Lyman 429383 I quickly get frosty bullets even though my pot is running at 625 degrees. Casting with a RCBS 44-250-K results in a galvanized apperance. I would like to maintain a moderately fast casting speed so was wondering what are some ways to SAFELY cool these iron molds while casting. THANKS!

45 2.1
07-12-2005, 09:12 PM
I cast useing two iron molds with wheel weights at about 725 degrees or use a big fan blowing on the mold after filling, freezes the sprue almost immediately.

castalott
07-12-2005, 09:44 PM
I have a small panel fan mounted on the pot ( my machine caster) that blows on the sprue in the up position and on the open blocks in the down position.... Makes all the difference in the world...

beagle
07-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Go to Radio Shack and pick up a small 4" cooling fan. I have one and sit it on the bench at varying distances from the mould until I get the desired cooling.

I did have a casting bench with it mounted underneath and blowing up around the mould on a screen and I had to dismantle my bench and haven't rebuilt it yet.

Works pretty good for less than $10./beagle

buck1
07-12-2005, 10:32 PM
I use a small high speed wallmart fan ,blowing on to a block of wood I use for a table.
It works great! only cost $12.00, Its the kind that has a small exit port on it. ...Buck

44man
07-12-2005, 11:03 PM
4296, it just doesn't sound right to have frosted boolits at 625 degrees. Are you using a thermometer? If you are it is on the bum. I suspect your lead is a lot hotter. Either that or you are casting so fast the sprue does not even harden before you cut it. Check it out and let us know.
I use two molds so one cools while I pour the second. I think if I needed the same alloy for three boolits, I could run three molds. I cast at 750 degrees for hard boolits and at 800 for a 20 to 1 mix for BPCR.
A fan would really help too, but check your temperature first.

BruceB
07-12-2005, 11:22 PM
4296, pard;

There's nothing wrong with frosted bullets, but as mentioned, 625 degrees sounds low for yielding such critters.

Go to the line in red at the top of the page and check out my article on speed casting, for some hints on cooling the mould while casting. Direct contact with water is a heck of a lot more effective than fans for cooling. 400 to 500 bullets per hour (or more) with my own identical RCBS 44-250 mould is not difficult....

Note too, that if you don't like the appearance of your "galvanized" bullets, a fast twist with a pad of steel wool on the bullet in the LOADED cartridge will shine up a frosty bullet very nicely in short order.

Mugs
07-12-2005, 11:59 PM
BruceB
My last 3 casting sessions were with your speed casting method. I previously always casted with 2 molds. I wish I had discovered it years ago.
I have no trouble beating my best session casting 2 molds. Anybody wanting the most boolits in the shortest time should give it a try. I see no loss in boolit quality. I've mounted a smaller Saeco pot above my RCBS to help keep the lower pot full, it helps alot.
Mugs