PDA

View Full Version : Mauser Speedlock question.

Char-Gar
05-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Do any of your have any experience pro or con about using a titanium firing pin in a Mauser 98 action? Brownells offer a aluminum steel tiped "speedlock" for the Mauser 98, but I dont find any titanium. Are there such things?

Any comments appreciated..

mhb
05-09-2007, 12:31 PM
My recommendation is: don't waste your money. You will gain little or no measureable benefit in accuracy or shootability in a '98-based rifle from installing such a firing pin. If you believe faster lock time is the key to improving accuracy in whatever discipline you shoot, choose a more modern action design as the basis for your rifle, then, build it with all the benefits of 'blueprinting' the action, using a premium barrel properly fitted and chambered, and carefully bedding the assembly in a rigid stock. Given good ammunition, you will find this is the best route to a really accurate rifle. Do not misunderstand: very good rifles can be built on the '98 action, but no really competitive rifles are built that way for modern accuracy disciplines.
mhb - Mike

felix
05-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Charles.....Mike is correct! Don't even think about it. ... felix

Scrounger
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Another opinion confirming the two previous. Another thing to think about: How well do you shoot? You don't need a rifle that is a lot better than you are. You do need a degree of accuracy that allows room for your own improvement but the biggest factor in accuracy is the shooter. Work on that one first.

danski26
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
The nra long range national champion last year was Kent Reeve shooting a mauser action 300 win mag. Whats old is new again?

I would agree though, unless you have a custom built rifle just adding the speedlock is a waste of money. You will see little to no change in a sporter rifle.

Larry Gibson
05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Confirming what the others have said. Unless you have a really, really tricked out M98 you won't see any difference. I tried one once; it made no difference in my sporters which were shooting moa anyways. On my 6.5-280 whch which was shooting consistant 5 shot groups in the .5"s and 6"s there was no improvement. That was some years a go when the titanium was available and I thought the M98s were still, I think it was a Tubbs(?) and pretty sure I got it from Brownell's. If one had a really clean commercial or M1909 DWM action and was having all the bells and whistles done for a heavy varmint of target rifle then it might be worth it.

Now the lock time on M93 through M96s can be vastly improved by converting to cock on open. The lock times of those are very much like your M70 or M700. I know it's a Kuhnhausen no-no but if done right they are very worthwhile and not do not weaken anything. I've done quite a few and still have three, a M93, M95 and a M96.

Larry Gibson

Char-Gar
05-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks guys... I only know of one person (Lee Jurris) who thinks a speedlock on a Mauser is a good idea. He builds rifle for 1,000 yard bench rest competition. If ever there was a rifle savy guy it is Lee, but he is talking something way beyond my cast bullet Mauser sporter.

BTW.. The Mauser sporter is coming on well. The stock is finished and I have about half the coats of Tru-Oil on it. I will put it together and shoot it for a while and do the final wood finish, when the metal if off being blued. The wood finished up a lovely dark walnut with a redish cast. It has about AA figure, but the color is truly wonderful. And to think, I have had this blank in my closet for 48 years.

Now to save my pennies so I can get the metal blued.

Bass Ackward
05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Isn't that strange how we get different results.

I find that the new pins can cut group sizes quite a bit. Especially with accurate guns. It won't take a 2" and make it a 1"er though unless the operator is a lose holder.

For cast, the lighter fall of the new pin doesn't cause headspace problems on a Whelen with light loads either comparred to that 25 # sledge hammer that's in there. Pull the trigger on a standard 98 and it lurches forward two inches with light cast.

I'd try what you got first and then keep it in mind.

mhb
05-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Was a single-shot Interarms target-model action (much more rigid receiver without magazine well opening or thumb cut), and he admitted he just had to cope with the slower lock time, compensating (very successfully) by good follow-through.
At his level of competition, a shooter can make-up for recognized imperfections in the equipment (though I'd bet there weren't many in this case) by skill and experience.
I'd also wager that his was the only Mauser '98-actioned rifle to win anything at Camp Perry, or even place well. This is not a real criticism of the '98 Mauser action, but it is a fact that, among actions currently available and suitable for first-rank competition rifles, the '98 finds no place.
mhb - Mike