PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics

Boz330
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Did anybody else think poor sport when Maroney the US gymnast that was supposed to clean house in the vault event didn't congratulate the Romanian girl.
I understand that she was disappointed, but it was her screw up not the Romanian girl's that cost her the Gold Medal. Just kind of struck me wrong and then the picture of her at the Medal Ceremony sort of hollered spoiled brat.

Bob

41 mag fan
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
They're not taught how to be a good sport, only how to win.

Boz330
08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
That sort of courtesy comes from your upbringing. I have competed on a national level and international level in skydiving and have always gone out of my way to congratulate folks when they have done well. In most cases that same thing was done in return when I was on the platform. I just thought that it was poor sportsmanship.

Bob

paul h
08-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Yup, definately poor sportsmanship on her part. On the one hand, I hate how the media hypes paticular atheletes as sure bets for certain performances, on the other hand she fell on her but and was lucky to get any medal.

geargnasher
08-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Some ARE taught how to be good sports, and are, but not that one I'm afraid. 'Course it's easy for us to say when we haven't dedicated our lives and bodies to doing one thing perfectly one time and get to deal with the effects from then on, good or bad. I wonder if those medals will still be worth it to them when they're old and in constant pain from all they've done to their bodies when so young.

Gear

Duckiller
08-07-2012, 01:46 AM
She congratulated the Romanian girl when her score was posted. I was much more offended by the NBC commentator that declared her the winner before the competition started.

Doesn't matter how good you are you have to do the event to show that you don't stumble or trip. She is 16 years old and NBC and her coaches have been telling her she can't be beat. She had no clue how to act. The adults around her failed her big time.

Wal'
08-07-2012, 03:08 AM
I would think the post on Usain Bolt, fastest man in the world over 100mtrs kinda kinda covers it. [smilie=s:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=161492

Boz330
08-07-2012, 08:31 AM
She congratulated the Romanian girl when her score was posted. I was much more offended by the NBC commentator that declared her the winner before the competition started.

Doesn't matter how good you are you have to do the event to show that you don't stumble or trip. She is 16 years old and NBC and her coaches have been telling her she can't be beat. She had no clue how to act. The adults around her failed her big time.

What I saw was the Romanian girl walked over to her and hugged her but she never said a word to her that I could tell and the look on her face was less than gracious.

I agree that there is a lot of pressure on these young folks for their age for sure. There is plenty of time in life to learn to deal with it without loosing your childhood. I don't make the rules though.

Bob

Hamish
08-07-2012, 08:38 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184688/London-Olympics-The-hilarious-memes-gymnast-McKayla-Maroney.html

Talk about drawing attention to yourself the wrong way!

Ickisrulz
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Although not appropriate to this venue, I appreciate people who honestly display their feelings. I don't like it when people pretend to be happy about things they are not or pretend to like someone when they don't.

Rick Hodges
08-07-2012, 11:04 AM
I don't know who teaches that hauty, nasty look she had for the whole thing...quick phony smile for the judges....ugh. The announcers hype, to tell you the truth I laughed out loud when she landed on her a$$.

OneSkinnyMass
08-08-2012, 02:47 AM
I watched the balance beam comp tonight and yes, those little girls are divas, they have been groomed to be divas and rightfully so. those with that type of talent and dedication, willing to work that hard to even qualify for a big event, or maybe even the Olympics should be held in the highest esteem .
Dand, lost my train of thought
Did I mention Dedication?
where did I leave that soapbox

Skinny

Stephen Cohen
08-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Reading the comments on this post makes me proud to be a shooter, It is the sport of true ladies and gentlemen we dont often see the tantrums as thrown in other sports. I for one got just as much enjoyment out of being beaten, one cant help but admire a shooter at his or her top form and shaking their hand is a pleasure.

bob208
08-09-2012, 07:07 AM
yes she did go a little overboard but i did see one of the russians have a bad time after she lost took it out on her coach. that was a time to be british put on a stiff upper lip do what was right. then go to a room trunout the lights and cry.

GRid.1569
08-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Reading the comments on this post makes me proud to be a shooter, It is the sport of true ladies and gentlemen we dont often see the tantrums as thrown in other sports. I for one got just as much enjoyment out of being beaten, one cant help but admire a shooter at his or her top form and shaking their hand is a pleasure.

:goodpost:

Couldn't agree more....

Boz330
08-09-2012, 08:38 AM

You can find Prima Donnas everywhere although they seem to be more far between in the shooting sports.

Bob

btroj
08-09-2012, 08:55 AM
How well does any 16 year old kid handle poor performance and not winning? Add to it the level of competition, the years and years of training, and the fact they have basically one shot- yeah it got the best of her.

Gymnastics has never been known for great sportsmanship amongst the female competitors.

As my daughter tells me- it isn't called gymnicetics is it?