PDA

View Full Version : SpeedyPC Pro?

Wayne Smith
08-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Is this a legitimate company and valuable service or is it an internet come on?

I am about as far from a computer geek as you can get. Back when Control KD meant "save and exit" I was OK, and could make changes to the programming. Never caught up to Windows, was too busy being a therapist and raising the family with LOML. Now I'm hopelessly out of date!

Anyway, I found SpeedyPC Pro a while ago, and it says my computer has 4000+ problems and wants me to pay them to fix it. I would not be surprised if my computer has that many problems, I've been running it for years, on the internet, and it is a Vista, as well!

I would just like a professional evaluation of this particular cleaning program or if there is another that is better let me know.

Thanks.

Lee
08-06-2012, 07:54 AM
[smilie=1:4000+ problems. No doubt. Your registry is probably full of junk.
Try Glary Utilities download
Try MalWareBytes download
Try SpyBot download

They are all free and will fix many of the "issues" you may have

And don't forget to run CheckDisk and Defrag (Both already installed by good ole uSoft.

I tend to stay away from the pay to play and pray companies out there.

Others may disagree ..........................Lee

P.S. More memory and a larger HDD can never hurt either. Cheap, and you can ALWAYS find someone nearby who can assist, if you've never seen the insides of a 'puter before. And of course, an upgrade from Vista (not real highly rated) to XP won't hurt either. Just sayin .....[smilie=1:

Goatwhiskers
08-06-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm no geek, but IMHO you'd be better off to either buy a new up-to-date machine, or have your's reloaded with a newer operating system. A local computer service company can easily do this, and likely at less cost. Not familiar with the service outfit you mention, but a lot of those are rip-offs charging exorbitant fees for something you could get done locally for less. There is at least one of those outfits that locks your computer into their service when you contact them and can't get out--happened to a buddy of mine. Goat

fishhawk
08-06-2012, 08:21 AM
down load house call from trend micro here http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ rune it every other week or so then get superantispyware blaster Wiljen uses that at work.

Bill*
08-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking ripoff. I read where someone ran one of those type utilities on an absolutely fresh and clean windows installation and it found hundreds of so-called problems. I don't think they're legit.

dmize
08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
I sorta tried something like that once.
I called one of those numbers and Habib told me I had a laundry list of issues and critical errors and I needed to take it to Best Buy and have a "windows certified technician" look at it was probably going to cost about $200, he told me that local independent tech would not be qualified to perform such repairs............ummm yea riiiiiight.
I took it to local guy, got a call to pick it up 2 hours later and a bill for $45. That was 6 months ago and would you believe that cotton pickin thing is still working?
The repairman did not have very good things to say about the online help,his philosophy is about like mine on car repair miracle gizmos.
Waste of time and money.

David2011
08-06-2012, 02:32 PM
While I don't consider computers a hobby, I do work on them for a living at the Enterprise level for a large corporation and I had a pretty good nigh't sleep last night. :)

The following are all very good and all offer free versions for home users. Don't do a search for spybot- you'll end up with all sorts of things you didn't want. Their address is below.

www.avast.com- excellent antivirus software and malware interceptor, updates at least once a day which is a good thing.

The following are all very good at cleaning up Internet intrusions and agan, all offer a free version for home users.
www.malwarebytes.org
www.superantispyware.com
www.safer-networking.org (Spybot Search and Destroy)

You can run multiple malware programs at some cost of speed but a computer should only have one antivirus program installed at any given time. They tend to detect one another's antivirus definition files as viruses.

David

David2011
08-06-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm thinking ripoff. I read where someone ran one of those type utilities on an absolutely fresh and clean windows installation and it found hundreds of so-called problems. I don't think they're legit.

Your analysis is correct. One time many years ago I was working on a friend's computer and didn't have my normal software tools with me. I installed a "cleaner" that discovered lots of problems. It showed bugs in all sorts of folders that weren't even on the computer. The "reports" were nothing but pictures of DOS screens and had nothing to do with the computer I was working on.

If you get a popup that starts running a scan the last hope to save the computer is to turnit off without another mouse click on anything. It's easier to re-create what might be lost than it is to fix the computer. If the popup runs every time you fire the computer up, it's too late. Many of these intrusions prevent you from going to anti-malware or virus websites or installing programs to remove them. They're bad stuff.

David

tryNto
08-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Yep, they just want you Money.

Another very good free product is CCleaner, I been using it for at least 6 years and they update it all the time.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Along with their free Defrag tool.
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Dark Helmet
08-10-2012, 11:24 PM
+1 on www.superantispyware.com. Also have AVG 2012 running. That mess you're talking about and the place you found/got it from are bad news.

Bret4207
08-11-2012, 08:17 AM
CCleaner has been mentioned, excellent program. The 2 best things I ever did were going to Firefox for a browser and dumping Internet Explorer and going to AVG for anti-virus and dumping Norton/McAfee. There are a number of sites that are full of help for us non-geeks- File Hippo had a number of outstanding utilities like "Update Checker" (finds all those updates that you never loaded on your 'puter, or worse, only got half loaded), CCleaner, various Trojans/Spybot/Worm finders and all sorts of up to date applications and utilities to help you out. stupiddamncomputer is another site with more or less step by step directions for fixing things that Microsofts "technicians" would never stoop to addressing.

Hunt around a bit. And consider adding memory. Todays cheap laptop have more memory and are faster than 5 years agos top of the line PC.

I believe Dano67 told me his wife went through one of those "Speedy Pro" or "Boost my PC" outfits and the computer was slower after they were done spending their money than before.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-11-2012, 09:49 AM
I use vista on a 3 year old Laptop.

I use AVG 2012 as well.
also, when I started noticing slowing issues, I was recommended to use Uni-blue's "Registry Booster" the first scan found 400 registry errors. after it cleaned those up, I did notice improved speed when loading programs. Now it runs once or twice a month to clean up 5 or 10 errors.
Jon

Longwood
08-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Dump all of your video's, unused programs, etc etc to a external hard drive (or two) or to the trash bin, then delete it all from your computers files.Many people think that moving a file to a hard drive frees space on the c disk,,, you have too also delete it from the c drive to get the space back.
Dumping about half of Microsofts junky programs will help also.
My computer will start to crawl if I have too much in the 'C' drive. Dump it,,, and it's like I have a new computer.
When I download clips etc, I put it all directly onto external hard drives instead of letting my computer put it onto the main disk.