PDA

View Full Version : Lead Mix

Captain Midnight
07-12-2005, 08:06 AM
I have accumulated some wheel weights and am about ready to clean them and cast them into ingots. I also have reclaimed hardened lead shot to mix with this lead. What would be a suggested amount of each to try? I do not have a hardness tester. Thanks ................. Captain

Bass Ackward
07-12-2005, 09:00 AM
I have accumulated some wheel weights and am about ready to clean them and cast them into ingots. I also have reclaimed hardened lead shot to mix with this lead. What would be a suggested amount of each to try? I do not have a hardness tester. Thanks ................. Captain

CM,

Personally, I would think along the lines of flexibility. Once you mix in the shot, you no longer have "true" WW.

So what I would do is just smelt down the WW and add anything extra that you might want in the pot. This way you aren't wasting the antinomony for pistols and you have more to mix with a rifle mix should you want something harder than 12 BHN.

Plus it is easier to keep straight in the future should you find something that really works for you. An example might be 5 bars of WW to one spray can cap full of shot. But if you mix it in a larger batch, it is harder for me to keep formulas straight.