PDA

View Full Version : Lube Puging-bbl enemma?

1Shirt
05-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Have read just enough about lube purging and possible fliers to be totally ignorant regarding how you would test the theory of this. I have (almost always) lubed all of the lubes in multi groove blts. like the Lovern style, in come cases cause they look sort of good sticking out of the case with red or blue hard lubes.
As due to age, lousy eyesight, more than a slight touch of Arthur, and other various deflugelties am always looking for excuses for my fliers, and think maybe lube purgeing might be a good one to use. I have played with the long 170 gr. 6.5 lee in 6.5x55 at about 1550 with White Lable lube and with their regular and High Vol lubes, and can usually stay in about 2" at 50 yds. for 5 shots. However when I go for 10 shot groups I usually get a flier about the 6th. or 7th shot, and sometimes the 10th. it seems. Accordingly, am wondering if a dry patch only after the 5th shot might be a way to eliminate the build up of lube that is referenced by those espousing lube purge from excess lube. Seems like I can't be the only one looking for flier excuses, and even more so, that somebody has really run a test that would have merit regarding excess lube, cleaning, reducing the amount of lube used, type of lube etc. I have picked up fired blts. fired at low vol (around 800-1000fps. at 100 that still had hard lubes in the grooves. This makes me wonder if lube purges from excess lube on multi groove blts is caused by soft lubes at med vol. Anywho, welcome any words of wisdom on this subject even if they are only theory.
Thanks in advance to all who answer this thread!
1Shirt!:coffeecom
It is finally starting to dry out in eastern Ne!

Bass Ackward
05-08-2007, 04:03 PM
I have tested this over and over and now just accept it. One of the last development stages of load development is to patch between each shot and if things improve, to start cutting back on the lube until groups peak. Often far less lube is required than what we think is necessary.

Still, I believe that since lube can't compress, that when your bullet sizes down entering the bore, (and the farther it has to size, the more excess gets deposited) lube gets scraped off your slug and is deposited in the throat. In comes your next slug that leaves more until you get enough buildup that it has enough mass to move forward into the bore with some shot in the string. Here, it becomes fouling for the next shot.

Remember, lube can't compress, so your bullet pushes it in front of it until it is overwhelmed at a high enough velocity much like a tire losing contact with a wet road. It WILL be sized down in order to pass over the lube as it (fouling) becomes too high. We all know what kind of accuracy we get with below bore size bullets, so you get a .... flier. Then the bore is OK again for the next shot.

Why I say this is, I get more frequent fliers the larger over bore diameter I size. I also get them the more I shoot cast like cast at lower velocities where the lube isn't used up, and the more I over lube. All theory, that I wish didn't work for me.

Baron von Trollwhack
05-08-2007, 04:14 PM
It would be intresting if someone could do a bore colonoscopy with respect to lube conditions as to support some hypothesis about this question of lube amount. Have we an afficianado de' plumbum with a scope? BvT

44man
05-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Hey Baron, that would HURT! Then you have to pour that crap down the bore for a day or two.
Really, hard lube doesn't do the bore much good and tends to stay on the boolit. Then when it leaves the muzzle, chunks break loose and leave the boolit. What is left throws the boolit out of balance. High velocity from a rifle can make all of it leave the boolit so balance is still good. If any stays, it is not good. I just don't like hard lubes! I would rather what is left on the boolit spins out evenly. The next best is if all of it stays on the boolit but most hard lubes are brittle.
That is one reason less lube works sometimes. It is not because it is not needed but that there are more grooves to shed lube unevenly.

joeb33050
05-08-2007, 06:15 PM
I have been and still am experimenting to figure out the lube purging business. I find that I can shoot 22 and 30 caliber bullets lubed only in the space between the gas check and the first band-none in any lube groove. Generally ~1400 fps loads. No lead. But, I've never found better accuracy with less lube, and it is a pain to seat the gas check, size completely without lubing, then lube whichever grooves are selected for the experiment.
I'd like to hear about experiments that showed that less lube increased accuracy.
joe brennan

waksupi
05-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I hadn't thought of the bore scope at work. I will shoot some groups in a couple different rifles in a couple weeks, and take them into work to look at them afterwards. I would like to see what I have in the barrels!

Baron von Trollwhack
05-08-2007, 08:22 PM
I've been lubing 257420 unsized with everything in the LLA line from factory to a thinned varnish coating and so far the varnish-like is working. Leetle bullitos running 1900+ a leetle. Plus I started lubing for a test with Lee case sizing lube wiped on by finger on as cast and it seems to give the same result except a different kind of fouling that still comes out easily. I been tumble coating 62 fmj with case lube in full power 223 and accucacy is the same but cleaning the bore is an easier job. ?

Mk42gunner
05-08-2007, 10:29 PM
I have looked at a few 5"/54 Cal barrels through a bore scope, but not any small arms. If your barrel shoots good, don't freak out at what you see; all of the imperfections will be magnified.

Robert

MakeMineA10mm
05-09-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm sorry. I have no useful information for your question. I just had to say that this is the funniest thread title I've ever read on any internet forum, anywhere, EVER!!!!! http://www.glocktalk.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif

PineTreeGreen
05-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Have you tried "Preperation H":mrgreen: