PDA

View Full Version : The search continues...

Love Life
08-05-2012, 12:47 PM
As I approach the end of my service, me and the family have been looking for a place to hang our hats. We have narrowed it down to the west/northwest of the country. Having grown up in the southeastern states we prefer not to go back.

We have been looking in Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and Nevada. We must be near a state college or university so I can go get edumacated. What career path I follow matters little to me. I could go to school for a trade or any other number of things. The end goal is something that would allow me to pay the bills and provide for my family in the long run, but I digress.

On top of that I am looking for a place with a little acreage. 5-15 acres would do with good soil.

Where to go. where to go. I am just thinking out loud here. You all have a nice Sunday.

theperfessor
08-05-2012, 01:18 PM
LL, I know it's not in your preferred area, but Southern Indiana isn't a bad place to live. We're solvent, have some pretty good colleges and universities, lifetime carry permits, reasonable land prices, etc. Might be worth thinking about a little.

429421Cowboy
08-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Land prices here may drive you somewhere else but it's a great place to raise a family, with plenty of space, plus lots of public land for recreation and hunting.
I am a student at MSU and love it, it is the land grant college so it has the ag and trade related schools as well as film, bioscience, engineering nursing, n and other majors. After you have become a resident tution is dirt cheap at the 2 year schools MSU has in Havre, Billings and Great Falls and the credits all transfer to the 4 year school in Bozeman if you choose to get a BS. Also Havre has a great Diesel Mechanics program, which is the oil boom continues here will be a great profession to be in.
We also are very gun friendly and have reasonable stock and prices on all reloading supplies in the major cities!
Good luck to you wherever you may decide to land.

Hamish
08-05-2012, 01:46 PM
"My wife mentioned Illinois"

Don't make me have to come out there to give parental instruction!!

My advice would be to never, ever, ever, even cross through on your way to somewhere else.

Love Life
08-05-2012, 01:47 PM
My wife mentioned Illinois. I thought about it for a second and then mentioned divorce.

ThePerfessor- I will have to give Indiana a look see.

429421Cowboy- I seriously looked at Montana, but the wife nixed that idea.

We will be making a round robin of the NW states in the next couple of months here. The misses wants to see them during the winter.

GRUMPA
08-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Well LL if you ever get to this area look me up

Dennis Eugene
08-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm sure I could never live very far from the ocean. So anything not on the coast would never intrest me for more than a fleeting instant. Have you ever spent anytime on the coast? Dennis

Recluse
08-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I wouldn't discount the northern Arizona area, around Flagstaff. Likewise for anywhere in Utah or Wyoming.

If you're not 100% determined to stay that far west, central/southern Missouri is a really great place. Hills, lakes and trout streams, good land prices, plenty of colleges and trade schools, low cost of living, gun-friendly and breathtaking fall seasons and some incredible hunting.

:coffee:

Love Life
08-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Grumpa- I looked at Arizona, but I really couldn't find what I was looking for. I have one chance to do this and then that is it. I have to make sure where I go has what I want/need.

Dennis Eugene- I used to live on the coast over in North Carolina. I loved it. Right now we are looking towards the Pacific Coast. I sure do miss all that fresh seafood.

Recluse- I will have to give Missouri a better look.

and the search continues...

Larry Gibson
08-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Love Life

Am a native Oregonian; high property taxes, high state income tax, no sales tax ....yet, very high fuel taxes with high cost per gallon, state dominated by liberals in the Portland/Salem/Eugene metro area. Beautiful state and I would have moved back if it were not for the above.

Washington; Lived here 22 years now. High sales tax, high property tax, no income tax ....yet, high vehicle licensing, very high fuel taxes with high cost per gallon, state dominated by liberals in the Puget Sound/Seatle metro are. I have sold my house and am moving out of state.

Idaho; lots of retire's I know move there because the cost of living is less. Small income tax, low property taxes, sales tax?, cost of living much less than Oregon/Washington, politics gnerally conservative.

Nevade; Low prperty taxes, good property buyers potential, sales tax?, high unemployment, gun friendly, politics dominated by Las Vegas/Henderson metro area, mostly liberal there but conservative in the rest of the state, very friendly gun laws.

Arizona; low property taxes, very good property values for the buyer right now, low income tax (none for certain incomes), low sales tax, low fuel prices, low cost of living, very very gun friendly.....I am moving to Arizona (Lake Havasu City).

Montana; If I was younger and could handle cold winters I'd look hard there.

All the above states have very good colleges and universities along with community/trade colledges.

Larry Gibson

Dark Helmet
08-05-2012, 03:34 PM
What was so bad about NC?

Love Life
08-05-2012, 04:00 PM
What was so bad about NC?

Nothing as far as the area goes. Taxes were high.

Plus I don't really enjoy all the wonderful social experiments in the south east. Also the west is much more free. True story.

WILCO
08-05-2012, 05:18 PM
What career path I follow matters little to me.

The end goal is something that would allow me to pay the bills and provide for my family in the long run.

Love life,

The first sentence will prevent you from fulfilling the second sentence.
You only get one shot, aim small, miss small.
I would recommend going to school for Business Management and then Law School if you can do it.

waksupi
08-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Check Wyoming, too. It seems the state government have their poop in a pile pretty well. Forget Jackson Hole area, the billionaires have run the millionaires out.

41 mag fan
08-05-2012, 05:39 PM
I'd say S In also, but you got the heat and humidity, then the damp winters. Not really cold but the dampness makes it feel that way. There is a several good colleges in the area though. And if college isn't the cup of tea, and you don't mind hard work, sometime coming up if the obama clan gets the boot the coal mines will open back up full tilt.

Now for my 2 cents worth, if i could go back 20 yrs ago, i'd move west or to N MN. But thats just me.

Love Life
08-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Love life,

The first sentence will prevent you from fulfilling the second sentence.
You only get one shot, aim small, miss small.
I would recommend going to school for Business Management and then Law School if you can do it.

Why those two?

I was looking at Mining Engineering, but that really limits where a person can go to school.

Closely behind mining engineering were the trades. Diesel mechanic, plumbing, electrician, welder, etc. Those skills people will always need, and they are pretty universal when it comes to having to move to another location. I would rather be working outside or with my hands more than anything else.

WILCO
08-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Why those two?

Those two will open many, many doors in any type of economy.

onceabull
08-05-2012, 06:10 PM
You were shooting with at least two mining engineers @ NCBS '12..Pretty sure one went to Nevada-Reno,don't know about the 2nd...Given your comments re: real estate wants/needs,combined with mining engineering studies ,I would be looking at Montana Tech.(Butte) Not my fav.place in Montana by far,and you will likely be working elsewhere after the degree,but that goes with the profession...Onceabull

felix
08-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Missouri or Colorado School of Mines. Two of the best. Graduates are in demand worldwide. Best NOT to buy property when considering overseas assignments after graduation. You WILL like living in another country IF you are "young" enough to adapt. ... felix

firefly1957
08-05-2012, 07:39 PM
The Dakotas are having a job boom right now but housing can be scarce . If you want to work avoid Michigan as well though there are some towns with work.

Recluse
08-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Missouri or Colorado School of Mines. Two of the best. Graduates are in demand worldwide. Best NOT to buy property when considering overseas assignments after graduation. You WILL like living in another country IF you are "young" enough to adapt. ... felix

I'd give the nod to Missouri simply as their curriculum is a bit more hands-on with a more diverse geological representation.

LL has lived in another country. I'm sure he'd enjoy it even more if the locals weren't always shooting at him. :)

Seriously, LL, give Missouri a strong look-see. I'm telling you right now, if I had to leave Texas, that is the first place I'd seriously go scouting around. Low cost of living, conservative, decent services, affordable land and housing prices, and damn good people.

And the hunting and fishing is as good as it gets.

:coffee:

41 mag fan
08-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Why those two?

I was looking at Mining Engineering, but that really limits where a person can go to school.

Closely behind mining engineering were the trades. Diesel mechanic, plumbing, electrician, welder, etc. Those skills people will always need, and they are pretty universal when it comes to having to move to another location. I would rather be working outside or with my hands more than anything else.

You go mining engineering, take a look at Peabody Energy as a possible employer, they love engineers. And they pay them quite well

dragonrider
08-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I have freinds in Iowa, and Missouri, they seem to like it there.except when the snow gets deep......I am sure I would like it I'd like anything just to get out ot New England, need to get away from the libtards running this state into the ground. Whereever you land stay away from the North East this is no place for good harworking conservitive

quilbilly
08-05-2012, 10:06 PM
There are some pretty good reserve units up here around Puget Sound and I encourage you to at least stay in the reserves or Guard as I did. That retirement check does come in handy. Oregon would really be a tough place to find any work but Washington might be a little better depending on your skill set. I would disagree with Larry on one point - the vehicle license fees are not that bad yet and certainly not as bad as several years ago. I hope you were looking around Winnemucca during NCBS because things were pretty busy around there and will remain so with the prices on gold, silver, and rare earths way up.

Bob Krack
08-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Recluse and Felix are both spot on. Theprofesser has a point. I would NOT consider WA, OR, or CA for all the tea in China (or India).

Missouri - or Indiana both have some terrific schools and probably more employment opportunities than Idaho or Northern Nevada? But then again, being in the right place at the right time can make all the difference in the world.

Good luck buddy,
Bob

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Check Wyoming, too. It seems the state government have their poop in a pile pretty well. Forget Jackson Hole area, the billionaires have run the millionaires out.

I agree, if I were in a position to move out of Minnesota, Wyoming would be my first choice. I looked at moving out there in the late 1980's But jobs in the electronics and electrical field were slim then...Now my roots are in the liberal Mecca of Minnesota, So I gotta stay here.
Jon

Frank46
08-05-2012, 11:45 PM
Louisiana??. Bunch of great universities LSU, Tulane. Depends on what you are looking for in continuing education. Oil industry is doing pretty well. Course we do suffer from the occasional hurricane. Frank

Love Life
08-06-2012, 01:00 AM
There are some pretty good reserve units up here around Puget Sound and I encourage you to at least stay in the reserves or Guard as I did. That retirement check does come in handy. Oregon would really be a tough place to find any work but Washington might be a little better depending on your skill set. I would disagree with Larry on one point - the vehicle license fees are not that bad yet and certainly not as bad as several years ago. I hope you were looking around Winnemucca during NCBS because things were pretty busy around there and will remain so with the prices on gold, silver, and rare earths way up.

Quilbilly I have looked left, right, up, and down and it is driving me nuts. Nevada has the Mackay School of Earth Sciences in Reno, which would be a simple move up the street. Jobs are to be had, lower level, but as I told you at the NCBS I'll work any job that pays green money. I didn't get a chance to look into the Missouri school yet, but will tackle that tomorrow. I barely had "Colo" out of my mouth before my better half nixed Colorado.

With the affordable healthcare act coming online the reserves may not be a bad idea. All I know is I need to get my butt an education after I separate, and it more than likely needs to be a skill that is internationally applicable.

Bob Krack
08-06-2012, 06:26 AM
and it more than likely needs to be a skill that is internationally applicable.

Good thinkin'

Bob

felix
08-06-2012, 09:09 AM
http://futurestudents.mst.edu/degrees/undergraduate/mineeng.html

MT Gianni
08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Don't discount MT Tech. One of the best Mining schools there is, affordable living and tuituion.

Love Life
08-06-2012, 02:04 PM
More digging done.

Missouri S&T looks like it has a very solid program, but I would have to start at the community college level and transfer in. I should have spent more time in the books in high school and less time chasing girls. I need to take the ACT anyway...

MT Tech looks like they let non-traditional freshmen (me) directly into the program. They also look like they have a great program.

To get into the University of Nevada Reno Mining Engineering program I will have to place high enough on the ACT, and if I don't I will have to knock out my core at the community college. No biggie since I live here already. It also seems to have a great program.

Of course the schools have good advertising to lure in students and keep making money. It is kind of funny where I am at in my life right now. Years ago I said "Forget College, I am joining the military." Now I am looking to go to college. At least I am more mature and stand a much better chance of completing college today than I would have 8 years ago. All my partying days are behind me already.

felix
08-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Yes, yes, stay with your current military status as long as is possible. I can possibly help if you should pick MO. I know WELL the state's militia guard (2 yrs. retired) general. Rolla and Jefferson City are a drivable distance apart. ... felix

Also consider the "explosives" option (at least a minor) within the Mining Engineering curriculum. That would look good for the military, corps of engineers, and ANY commercial mining operation. ... felix

onceabull
08-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Love Life : Given your comments about the seashore, and no fixed educaton path yet selected,Let me throw this into the mix.. Humboldt State University...Yes,it's in California,but far away from what most here find offensive.. Eureka has always been high on the list of "exceptions" to what gets picked apart about the state and its citizenry...No Mining engineering ,but Geology,Soil science,Rangeland conservation, et al.(see the website) I have a sometimes hunting partner for the last 25 years(sometimes is health related)who graduated there on GI bill, and went on to a full career (now retired) with the U.S. Soil Conservation Service...Lots of outside work,until length of service and promotions have you flying a desk... best look it over.. Oneabull

TAMU74
08-06-2012, 08:03 PM
For the best of what your after the absolute answer is TEXAS

quilbilly
08-07-2012, 12:32 AM
One of our friends at NCBS talked about how much the mines around there need "wrench turners". A week or two before the shoot there was an article about how Australians are head hunting
"wrench turners" in the U.S. because there are not enough in Australia (Aussies are not happy) which is driving wages up in the U.S. Now you see where I was thinking in my recent PM to you. See what Olympic College has to offer since it is so close to so many military facilities around here so you can stay in the reserves. If you like mountains and a congenial climate, this is not a bad place to be and lots of places to hunt too.

Duckiller
08-07-2012, 02:12 AM
LL don't convince your self that you only have one more move to make . You may have several. If you move to an area and later decide that you or your wife really don't like it , MOVE. Find another place you think you might like. Now you are looking for a college where you can get an education. Climate,taxes,job opportunity, crime, children education may be more important considerations. I know moving is expensive and hard work but don't limit your possibilities.

Love Life
08-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Thank you all for your help and input. I have a few buddies who are going to give me updates on the winter months in MO.

I will do a round robin this winter to the northern states. My wife spent her whole life in Georgia so winter conditions are huge to her.

Duckiller- I was not clear in my OP. I have one chance upon separating to get it right. The field I am looking at is small on the school and location choices. The military will move me only one time at my separation. After talking to the wife We have it narrowed down further to MT, NV, and MO. Once I graduate I will probably be moving again.

Now if I go into the trades then the sky is the limit for location and schools, but I plan to push to be a Mining Engineer. Wilco nailed it in that I have to know what I am going to do or else I am just compromising.

I got the ACT scheduled and will studying my butt off. Math is my weakness. Luckily my better half is a math wizard.

OnceaBull-I looked into the Humboldt college. I will do more research into that.

popper
08-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Used to e the Rola school of mines. Now under the MU banner. Really good school. Weather isn't bad either. KC, St. Louis, Jeff city are pretty lib and it's spreading. Good place to go to school and then get to move elsewhere. Don't worry about the ACT. I had the same problem, remedial classes and probation for a year, just stay focused.

felix
08-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Typical names for the brand new school name of MO Science and Technology.
Like, where do you go to school?
What college did you attend?

Rolla
School of Mines
School of Mines and Metallurgy
MU at Rolla
University of MO at Rolla

prolly others because of the new name of S&T

... felix (from New Madrid MO)

paul h
08-07-2012, 06:18 PM
You might consider Alaska. Upside is good economy, high paying jobs in the oil industry, low taxes, gun friendly and politically conservative (but we have our share of hippies, bums and freeks). Downside, high cost of living and long winter.

As a buddy is fond of saying, it costs so much to live here because it's worth it. I tend to agree.

theperfessor
08-07-2012, 10:40 PM
If you're serious about engineering, be sure the program you are interested in is accredited by ABET, the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. (Accreditation is by the program; just because one program at a school is accredited doesn't mean they all are.) Most states require that you graduate from an ABET accredited engineering program in order to sit for the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) Exam and then for the PE (Professional Engineering) Exam. Many engineering jobs require a PE. It is my understanding that Civil and Mining Engineers need a PE a lot more than many other engineering disciplines.

PE licensing is by the states, so if you had a PE in one state you might have to apply for reciprocity in another state to recognize your PE and allow you to practice there.

smoked turkey
08-08-2012, 01:14 AM
LL I will weigh in here for MO. I agree that the big cities are way more liberal than we are here near Springfield MO. Southwest MO is a great place to raise a family and there are an abundance of good colleges in Springfield where you can get the basics that will transfer into Missouri S&T. I will have to say that jobs and better jobs at that are probably to be had in the two bigger cities of St. Louis and Kansas City. However I couldn't do it as I am basically a country boy. I think you should take a hard look at what we have here in SW MO and I think you should give Missouri S&T a look. That is where I graduated from and don't have a single regret. My degree is EE and jobs are not as plentiful as they have been in the past but Missouri S&T has a very good reputation and it would help you in the job market. PM me if you want any particulars I haven't covered.

Love Life
08-09-2012, 10:57 AM
I have done much research into Missouri S&T. After talking to my better half she likes the area (it is closer to home for her), and I love the explosives engineering portion.

Now all I have to do is retake the ACT and hope to score high enough on the math portion to keep my overall score high enough for direct admission. If not I will start at a community college and work my way into Missouri S&T. It is interesting how these things work out. I will get back to my precious Nevada one day, but in the next 5 years I will have to educated.

Thanks for all the information and direction. Now that the search is done it is time for the planning phase. I have to look into the National Guard, look for rentals, check out schools for the little one, etc. Yippee!!

felix
08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Fort Wood, 20 miles west of Rolla, is a major depot for military operations. Perhaps you can get an assignment there so you won't have to quit your "current pay". ... felix

popper
08-09-2012, 05:06 PM
PE is only required if you have signature responsibility for a project, typically gov. construction or oilfield. MST is accredited.

paul h
08-09-2012, 06:28 PM
PE is only required if you have signature responsibility for a project, typically gov. construction or oilfield. MST is accredited.

True. Some companies will insist you have your FE before they'll hire a new engineer, others aren't as picky, and it depends on the industry. A PE will certainly expand your employment options, as well as how far you can progress in your career and how much you can make. I wish I'd had a better understanding of the EIT, now FE issue when I was in engineering school as that is the best time to take it.

One specialized field I recomend at least looking into is Fire Protection Engineering. It's pretty much guranteed you'll get a job when you graduate, the downside is it will likely limit you to big city locals, with some oil field oportunities.

felix
08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
During the early 60s the EIT passing test score was a school requirement to graduate from a MIssouri school. Then, after 4 years working for or within a professional firm, the real PE exam passing grade was required by most having contracts which serve the public at large. It's best to take the EIT as a minimum even if not required by anyone during your senior year. It's a just-in-case scenario. Back then the EIT was an open book 4 hour test, and I was told years later the test is a measure used by the state to validate the instructors primarily. The PE is the only for real test, and was NOT required by most firms at that time. I know, because I worked for a leading consulting engineers firm as my first job. ... felix

koehn,jim
08-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I would consider Indiana but closer to Purdue or Notre Dame in the northern part of the state

smoked turkey
08-09-2012, 10:51 PM
I can't speak for how things are now concerning the PE. I have been retired for quite a few years. I concur with felix that you should take the EIT while in school. During that time you are good at taking tests (lol) and the formulas and book work is fresh. The way it worked for me was that the PE could be taken after you had the EIT and eight years of work experence. Missouri credited your college degree as four of those years. Having your PE will allow more advancement opportunities for you. In some companies their salary structure is based on your level of experience and your degree. If I recall correctly in the engineering discipline there are certain standards based on your professional experience. An "Engineer III" could be an EIT, and an "Engineer IV" would require a PE certificate. I say if you go into engineering don't limit yourself. Plan on going for the PE certificate. In that way you will be eligible for supervisory positions, lead design positions, and you will have demonstrated that you are willing and able to work at a level that is easily recognized by those in the industry. It is not an easy road but then getting something that is worth something never is.

quilbilly
08-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Wherever you go I wish you well and great success. Since you are going to a community college to beef up you scores and background for engineering, do check and see if the have a diesel mechanics program as an elective . If you are a reasonably good mechanic, come to work on time, and are sober, any shop will beat a path to your door even if you only have a couple days a week during your studies. That and GI benefits will carry you a long ways. Also if you are a mining engineer and a bit of a wrench turner, it would be hard for any of the big mining outfits like Newmont to pass up somebody like you to manage a new smaller venture in the field.

montana_charlie
08-11-2012, 06:07 PM
After talking to the wife We have it narrowed down further to MT, NV, and MO.
I have no advice to give you in the area of earning a living, and I can't even speak intelligently about colleges.

I have lived in all three of the places you named, and others.
Given those to choose from, I would eliminate Missouri simply because of it's high humidity. Perhaps it wouldn't trouble you, or your Georgia-native wife.

CM